2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're just wumming at this point. We know he had 10 games to save them and it went down to the last game of the season. He had them 8th in form when they went down, if he had the whole season, they would have comfortably been in the top 8. Took them back up as champions first time of asking and kept them up for 2 seasons, stabilising them as a mid table side.

They were a point out of the relegation zone with a game in hand and he lost his first game and didn't win till a month later. He had the chance.

Didn’t we do this with Silva when we gave him Richarlison Kean Gbamin and told him to develop DCL?

Isn’t that exactly what you’re proposing?
yea and of all the managers we've circled through, Silva was the most unlucky, the sale of Gana and injury to Gbamin was tough to recover from.
I was ok with the decision at the time but in hindsight, he was the right type of manager.
So no more old goats at the helm, get in someone like Silva but better!

Yes that's absolutely what I am proposing but we need to do it better obviously, and preferably with a new DOF who will recruit better.

There are no shortcuts. Our only chance is finding the next top players and manager first.

Just because Silva couldn't do it doesn't mean someone better can't.

The same things undermined him that undermine every manager though.

The players we bought for him got injured Gbamin, Gomes, Delph

He got other bad injuries: Tosun Mina

The players that came into the team weren’t as good: Davies Siggurdson Keane

We didn’t recruit the players he wanted: right back centre back

Form fell of a cliff.l and he got fired.

If we hired another promising young manager now what exactly would be different?

We’d probably sell one of DCL or Richarlison on him, we’d either botch the recruitment by bringing no one in, or the person we brought in would get injured straight away.

Our injury record is still awful so he’d be unlikely to ever get all his best players on the pitch at the same time

The same players who weren’t good enough to stop Koeman Silva Allardyce Ancelotti and Benitez slumping into relegation form are all still here Coleman Keane Digne Davies Siggurdson

What exactly would change?

Gotta stick with him, let him build the team, he’s bought 2 players for peanuts & both have been a success, we need to give him some funds to do it, which probably means DCL or Richie going to fund it. Wouldn't be too upset if it was Richie TBH.
I think Townsend has been ok, not outstanding and terrible last night.
Gray is a success but apparently he was coming regardless of Rafael.

If we hired another promising young manager now what exactly would be different?

We’d probably sell one of DCL or Richarlison on him, we’d either botch the recruitment by bringing no one in, or the person we brought in would get injured straight away.

Our injury record is still awful so he’d be unlikely to ever get all his best players on the pitch at the same time

The same players who weren’t good enough to stop Koeman Silva Allardyce Ancelotti and Benitez slumping into relegation form are all still here Coleman Keane Digne Davies Siggurdson

you've got a point, maybe not a lot but what happens if we don't change. We'll go 3 months without a win, I can almost guarantee that. I don't see Benitez being able to right a slump that lasts 3 months. We're the worst team in the league.

Yes that's absolutely what I am proposing but we need to do it better obviously, and preferably with a new DOF who will recruit better.

There are no shortcuts. Our only chance is finding the next top players and manager first.

Just because Silva couldn't do it doesn't mean someone better can't.
Maybe we should see how Silva does with Fulham and if it's good, bring him back

Or not...

Nothing would change overnight, I never suggested it would. But we need to start a long term plan at some point. You're argument is basically it would be too hard, and that's a ridiculous reason not to try something.

You need a young manager with a long term plan to carry out the kind of rebuild we need. The players being crap is not an argument in favour of persisting with our current approach in terms of managers and recuritment. It's a clear reason to start completely from scratch in my opinion.

I don't understand why you would prefer to continue down the road of experienced PL players and managers. It has left the club with an abysmal squad under a has-been manager, heading towards the relegation zone.

You're delusional if you think Rafas career is over if he left here.

Fact of the matter is there will always be a club who will take a punt on him. He would walk in to every championship side. There are mid-table foreign clubs who would be interested such as Fiorentina who wanted him in the summer. Relegation threatened clubs would ask him. Newcastle. Etc etc.
Lol, "championship sides". At least you've finally accepted his level. He ain't going to manage at Huddersfield for two bob though, is he? All he cares about is getting paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.