2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Gray a Benitez signing?

Neither Gray or Townsend fit the mould you are talking about anyway...

You only need to look at his transfer history, its proper scattergun stuff, players signed for decent money who then never played and were moved on. His successful signings were ones that we already quality players by and large.

200M is nothing these days, he would need well more than that and we don't have it anyway so it doesn't matter.

The facts (fachts?) are that we have nothing in place for him to thrive as a manager here. Absolutely nothing. He is woefully unsuitable for the position we are in. If we got him in when we got Koeman then yeah possibly it may have worked but he would still be facing people turning on him as soon as he we have a bad run.
I always find this argument strange; some people seem to think he was a marvel in the transfer market. He largely wasted vast amounts of money at the RS

I’m sure people rewrite history to suit an agenda

Exactly Dave, at some point this season we'll win a game of football again won't we so at least that's something we can all look forward to.

Might be a nice Christmad treat for the kids if we win one before the year is out.
I said over a month ago that I thought we'd be well in the bottom half for a spell until players were back.

There has to be a time when the club doesn't panic and bend to the will of vociferous fans to get shut of another manager.

The owner has no excuse this time; he hired him but he never financially backed him, so he knows he owes him at least january and the following month or so.

That's the way I read it.

Did you watch the game? Would you consider that “pulling their tripes out”? I don’t care about stats, I watched them strolling around for the last half an hour when 1-0 down occasionally putting a cross onto their centre backs head and allowing them to time waste every single time the ball went out. We mustered up one actual clear cut chance in the game and it was in the first half. I don’t care about stats, it was an appalling performance.
They were trying. They just aren't inventive enough.

Is that the fault of the manager who never bought most of them?

Was Gray a Benitez signing?

Neither Gray or Townsend fit the mould you are talking about anyway...

You only need to look at his transfer history, its proper scattergun stuff, players signed for decent money who then never played and were moved on. His successful signings were ones that we already quality players by and large.

200M is nothing these days, he would need well more than that and we don't have it anyway so it doesn't matter.

The facts (fachts?) are that we have nothing in place for him to thrive as a manager here. Absolutely nothing. He is woefully unsuitable for the position we are in. If we got him in when we got Koeman then yeah possibly it may have worked but he would still be facing people turning on him as soon as he we have a bad run.

Every manager signs duds - Guardiola signed Nathan Ake for £40 million who barely gets on the pitch!

The issue I have is every criticism of Benitez is magnified (I know before you say I told you so) because of who he is which winds me up tbh, if you're gonna criticise fairly then thats fine but its constant agendas like "ohhh he signed Rondon on a free what a truly awful manager" forgetting David Moyes did a good job here and signed more than a fair share of crap players like Strac, Kroldrup, Ferriera, Castillo.

If people put more effort into either 1. Getting behind the team or 2. Focusing on getting real change at the club ie. Pressure on the board or DOF we would be in a much better place than the constant bitching over the manager like all our problems magically go away if he's sacked it's so narrow minded/ blinkered.

Not willing, but prepared to endure it to ride this nonsense of a revolving manager door out.

The owner needs to show some leadership now. For once.

He’s a populist and will just bow to whatever keeps the fans happy. Unfortunately he’s probably the worst type of owner we could have at the moment. The board are absolutely paranoid and at the first sign of mass fan discontent will pull the trigger on him to save their own skins. Shouldn’t be this way but that’s how it is.

The fan base isn’t helping though. It’s the same fan base that gets irate enough to demand Kendall was fired but will clap Kenwirght for years of stagnation. The exact same thing is happening now. Huge ire against Koeman, Allardyce, Ancelotti towards the end and now Benitez meanwhile Moshiri, Brands, DBB who have been in post for years presiding over this entire mess get nothing.

Every manager signs duds - Guardiola signed Nathan Ake for £40 million who barely gets on the pitch!

The issue I have is every criticism of Benitez is magnified (I know before you say I told you so) because of who he is which winds me up tbh, if you're gonna criticise fairly then thats fine but its constant agendas like "ohhh he signed Rondon on a free what a truly awful manager" forgetting David Moyes did a good job here and signed more than a fair share of crap players like Strac, Kroldrup, Ferriera, Castillo.

If people put more effort into either 1. Getting behind the team or 2. Focusing on getting real change at the club ie. Pressure on the board or DOF we would be in a much better place than the constant bitching over the manager like all our problems magically go away if he's sacked it's so narrow minded/ blinkered.
No he signed loads of them, like about 50 or so. It is not a one off. Seriously go and take a look at his transfer record at Liverpool alone, it will surprise you. Also clubs with money like City, Chelsea and the RS can afford to waste money on duds. We can't.

You need to stop comparing him to other managers past or present, at our club or others. None of it matters.

Moaning about him (or indeed raising him) online doesn't do anything. It's not a case of getting behind the team or anything. In the ground it's different but people have been getting behind him there but that can only go on for so long when you are watching expensive turgid stuff in the freezing cold every week.

The board gets plenty of stick by the way. The DOF is part of the board and not really allowed to do his job anyway. One man needs the stick pointing towards him but he is also "building us a stadium" so you know...

He’s a populist and will just bow to whatever keeps the fans happy. Unfortunately he’s probably the worst type of owner we could have at the moment. The board are absolutely paranoid and at the first sign of mass fan discontent will pull the trigger on him to save their own skins. Shouldn’t be this way but that’s how it is.

The fan base isn’t helping though. It’s the same fan base that gets irate enough to demand Kendall was fired but will clap Kenwirght for years of stagnation. The exact same thing is happening now. Huge ire against Koeman, Allardyce, Ancelotti towards the end and now Benitez meanwhile Moshiri, Brands, DBB who have been in post for years presiding over this entire mess get nothing.
Lots of us weren't alive for Kendalls first spell. Not sure how that point is in any way relevant. It was 40 years ago.

The clapping is something that winds me up but people can do it if they want. I saw people clapping yesterday and it nearly made my head fall off, but it is what it is.

I've actually been one of those who've backed giving Benitez a chance and defended him since he came in. Recent performances though have been absolutely dire and I didn't think they could get worse than the last few months of Carlo's reign. Sooner or later the club will have to admit defeat with this experiment as it's just not working and it's turning the club and fanbase absolutely toxic.

Surely you can understand how difficult it is for fans to get behind a manager who has currently the lowest win % since Walter Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.