Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever relegation has become a possibility in recent times, the manager has been sacked, we quickly win a few and panic over (Koeman/Silva).

There might be a slight worry if this was our best team but the spine of it aren't available.

The return of injured players will see an upturn and we've got the trump card of the January window and a change of manager if really necessary.

For Everton to get relegated things would have to go catastrophically wrong because the bar is so low. Similar to Liverpool or United finishing in the bottom half for example. They can be wretched all season and still finish 6th.
This. We are where we are b/c we've had injuries to key players, for a long period of time.

I feel more confident than some of the recent years that have resulted in a sacking, b/c we will be ok once we get these players back

? Success isn't the 90's. It's not relegation, or relegation battles. It's not play-off final wins. I don't want us to be crap just so you can get a bit of a semi on. I gotta question anyone who wants us relegated just so he can feel a bit excited. That's kopite talk.

You're missing the point completely.

Its not purposely wanting to fail - its accepting failure is part of the game we grew up with and loved - the 90's was poor for us but still won an FA Cup, we still had tears of joy after great escapes, we still had dogs of war - whens the last time Everton have made you genuinely excited or fearful?

We dont fail but we don't succeed - there is no emotion in this Everton finishing 8th-14th every season, no excitement, no tears of elation or heartache, no ups, no downs just "existing".

Thats not football for me - this has been the worst period for Blues because many of us have become numb to us which didn't happen even in the "dark" days.

Its as routine and predictable as doing the weekly ASDA shop following the club now - if thats the price of being a midtable club from now until the end of time then I hope you enioy that mate as I personally dont.

Death or Glory.

Last edited:

Its not purposely wanting to fail - its accepting failure is part of the game we grew up with and loved - the 90's was poor for us but still won an FA Cup, we still had tears of joy after great escapes, we still had dogs of war - whens the last time Everton have made you genuinely excited or fearful?

We dont fail but we don't succeed - there is no emotion in this Everton finishing 8th-14th every season, no excitement, no tears of elation or heartache, no ups, no downs just "existing".

Thats not football for me - this has been the worst period for Blues because many of us have become numb to us which didn't happen even in the "dark" days.

Its as routine and predictable as doing the weekly ASDA shop following the club now - if thats the price of being a midtable club from now until the end of time then I hope you enioy that mate as I personally dont.

Death or Glory.
I'd take another 10 years of mid table mediocrity tbh, than risk going down to the championship. A relegation battle is the kind of excitement i can do without.

Death or Glory.
My advice to anyone on here (I know, nobody asked for it) is to find a local non-league team at a decent level, something like National League and go and watch them with your mates. I've followed Everton for over 35 years and it's become eye wateringly dull. My best mate is a Villa fan and we just thought sod it let's start going to games where it's not the end of the world when you lose and there aren't a load of overpaid idiots wearing the shirt you would die for. We started going to watch Bath City as we could both get there on the train, best thing we ever did. Proper terraces, £13.00 to get in and normally between 1000 -1500 at home games so good enough for a decent atmosphere. There will be clubs all over the country like this and it's so much more enjoyable. We love it when they win but it doesn't ruin our day if they don't. Also no trouble with away fans and the clubs really appreciate your support. I'll always support Everton but following a non-league club has helped me fall in love with the game again. I bet Bootle FC or someone similar would love a few more fans and honestly it's a great afternoon down the pub and a decent standard footy match to watch.

The club needs a complete reset, coming on here is very dispiriting at the moment. Whats making it worse is i don't feel like we are together, the in fighting between us as bad as its ever been. We are more disjointed as a group than the team are and that takes some doing. If we get Doucoure and and Mina back next week that will give me some hope for the coming games. If the injuries continue into next year like they have been. I fear the worst.

The club needs a complete reset, coming on here is very dispiriting at the moment. Whats making it worse is i don't feel like we are together, the in fighting between us as bad as its ever been. We are more disjointed as a group than the team are and that takes some doing. If we get Doucoure and and Mina back next week that will give me some hope for the coming games. If the injuries continue into next year like they have been. I fear the worst.
Now THAT is Moshiri's fault. He should never have hired Benitez in the first place.
It was all sadly predictable.

6 points between us and the bottom three, and this team can't win a game for love nor money. You can draw your own conclusions here.
6 points from 5th playing devils advocate. I don’t think we finish 5th or get relegated.

You are right though, need a win against Brentford as we will get hammered by the RS.

6 points between us and the bottom three, and this team can't win a game for love nor money. You can draw your own conclusions here.

That our fanbase is a bunch of cry asses for thinking about relegation when we've only played 12 games and therefore need 25 points from 26 games? The majority of which we will probably get in a 5 game spell somewhere in between those 26.

We do this almost every season and it is boring me to death. We panic, the manager gets fired, new man comes to assess the squad and gives those under performing players a season to see if they are any good - which they aren't, buys some players and is sacked within 18 months. We are our own biggest hindrance to being successful by wanting everything today and then blast the ownership for not having a plan.

A team with these players in will not get relegated, you look at the bottom 6 candidates for the drop, have any of them got quality like these 5 ?
Yerry Mina
Abdoulaye Doucour
Richarlison
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Jordan Pickford

Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton, Norwich, Brentford for example? maybe Leeds too, those clubs dont have this quality, our problem is getting them fit, thats all

The point that needs to be made is that even if we get our best players back and pull clear this season, we are showing all the signs that we are a team in a nosedive that is going to end up in the Championship sooner rather than later.

The entire football club is an abject failure: the first team, the coaching staff, the boardroom, the DoF and scouts, the doctors and physios, the academy and development coaches - every single layer of the business and sporting sides of the club are in shambles.

If we have no wiggle room to start turning this squad over in the summer then I'll be utterly convinced that next season is the year our luck runs out. You can only play with fire for so long before you get burnt. We are so reminiscent of that God awful Villa side that circled the drain for a few years before they eventually went down.

That our fanbase is a bunch of cry asses for thinking about relegation when we've only played 12 games and therefore need 25 points from 26 games? The majority of which we will probably get in a 5 game spell somewhere in between those 26.

We do this almost every season and it is boring me to death. We panic, the manager gets fired, new man comes to assess the squad and gives those under performing players a season to see if they are any good - which they aren't, buys some players and is sacked within 18 months. We are our own biggest hindrance to being successful by wanting everything today and then blast the ownership for not having a plan.
Who said anything about wanting everything today? I think a top 10 finish, should be the bare minimum expectation to have of this team. Realistically this is a 10th to 12th place team.

Status
Not open for further replies.