Why on earth did we sell James Rodriguez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lazy answer mate. He is world class quality when he is fit. My eyes tell me that and so would yours if you were honest with yourself.

The reason he played for us is because he isn't fit often enough to produce those world class skills.

The reason he now plays in Qatar is that we were hell bent on selling him and they were the only club who could afford him that wanted him.

But have no doubt he is 100% world class when fit. 12 months ago every regular poster in here was drooling over him.
According to this argument, Inestia is a world class player. He's just not in shape to produce these world class skills. I would rather say that Inestia was a world class player. The same is true of JR (although he has never been close to Inestia's level over time). The market is very bad at lying, and if you fail to reproduce "world-class" achievements regularly over time - for whatever reason - you are not defined as a world-class player by the market.

According to this argument, Inestia is a world class player. He's just not in shape to produce these world class skills. I would rather say that Inestia was a world class player. The same is true of JR (although he has never been close to Inestia's level over time). The market is very bad at lying, and if you fail to reproduce "world-class" achievements regularly over time - for whatever reason - you are not defined as a world-class player by the market.
Except James was doing it 12 months ago when he was last properly fit and showed signs of it later in the season too and was instrumental in us beating Liverpool at Anfield for the first time in 20 odd years. Some people have short memories. He still has it in his locker when fit. He is 30. Iniesta is 37 and hasn't played at that level for about 4 years.

Except James was doing it 12 months ago when he was last properly fit and showed signs of it later in the season too and was instrumental in us beating Liverpool at Anfield for the first time in 20 odd years. Some people have short memories. He still has it in his locker when fit. He is 30. Iniesta is 37 and hasn't played at that level for about 4 years.
He also got off before the season had ended.

No I absolutely don’t know, haven’t got a clue, the big money finished in China, even for top players, quite a while ago, can you point me to just one of those reports about Rondon’s wages in China. By the way you’ll be cheering Rondon in a few weeks and be glad that we signed him!!
Here's the the thing, I hope I am cheering him because I hope he scores a hat full of goals. It's not looking very likely, however, and there is little evidence to support the idea that will change.

My point is that you do not relate to reality, but wishful thinking. Everyone agrees that JR has had some extreme qualities, and that he has at times been among the best playmakers in the world, but these were not very long periods and are relatively long ago.

Whatever the reason, JR is not a world-class player to date, and it's been a few years since he was rated as such by the market.

My point is that you do not relate to reality, but wishful thinking. Everyone agrees that JR has had some extreme qualities, and that he has at times been among the best playmakers in the world, but these were not very long periods and are relatively long ago.

Whatever the reason, JR is not a world-class player to date, and it's been a few years since he was rated as such by the market.
So you are saying what we saw at Everton 12 months ago was not world class. I couldn''t disagree more mate. I've been watching Everton for nearly 50 years and the football he produced during his first 2 months before he was clobbered in the derby was some of the best I'd seen in an Everton shirt.

I think in truth he wanted to go as soon as Ancellotti left and the new manager was never going to play him because he doesn't fit Benitez's ethos.

He didn't have the desire to stay. Paid ridiculous money we now find out to be a single dimensional player didn't have the legs to cover or trend back.
Some beautiful moments I agree but couldn't keep up with the increased tempo.

So you are saying what we saw at Everton 12 months ago was not world class. I couldn''t disagree more mate. I've been watching Everton for nearly 50 years and the football he produced during his first 2 months before he was clobbered in the derby was some of the best I'd seen in an Everton shirt.
Performing very well for two months does not make you a world class player. Jelavic had a fantastic start to his Everton career, but I would hardly characterize him as a world class player. Not that I compare him to JR, but more that you emphasize two months so highly in your definition. Gray has had a fantastic start to his Everton career, but he is not world class either.

World-class players such as Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema, Zlatan, Lewandovski, etc. perform at world-class level for most of their careers. These are world-class players, and in contrast to JR have realized their potential. None of these would have come to play for Everton. And if they had become available on the market now, there would have been offers from big clubs fairly quickly.

That's a lazy answer mate. He is world class quality when he is fit. My eyes tell me that and so would yours if you were honest with yourself.

The reason he played for us is because he isn't fit often enough to produce those world class skills.

The reason he now plays in Qatar is that we were hell bent on selling him and they were the only club who could afford him that wanted him.

But have no doubt he is 100% world class when fit. 12 months ago every regular poster in here was drooling over him.

No, he’s just not world class.

You’ve just underlined it by admitting his new club were the only club that could afford him and wanted him.

A world class player doesn’t end up moving to Everton and then Qatar. You’ve just overhyped his contribution.

No, he’s just not world class.

You’ve just underlined it by admitting his new club were the only club that could afford him and wanted him.

A world class player doesn’t end up moving to Everton and then Qatar. You’ve just overhyped his contribution.
You totally ignored the bit when I said when fit. If he wasn't injury prone he would still be at Madrid or Bayern. Just because he is injury prone doesn't mean he's not world class when fully match fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.