Would things drastically change if Benitez left tomorrow?

If Benitez left tomorrow and nothing else changed would Everton's fortunes improve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sammy lee? Yes I was, that was one of the most shameful things this club has done in decades employing that little piss soaked goblin. Sheedy wasn’t so ingrained with that lot so completely different. That’s by the by though, don’t think anyone would complain about the kopite connections if klopp or even Rodgers cake here because they’ve shown themselves to be good managers in the here and now

As for Benitez, What improvements has he brought? We’re weaker at the back and from set pieces, crap going forward, fitness is still questionable and we’re still getting injuries left right and center. And the squad has appeared to thrown in the towel even sooner than usual
I only know what I have seen, a side that counter attacks quickly and until the last few games effectively. Again until the last few games, competitive in midfield, fitter and faster than last year and they have learned to pass the ball forwards, rather than interminably sideways.

On the downside they have reverted to pre-Ancelotti in terms of defending set pieces and outside of the first choice 11 are virtually gash. Part of the last few matches is the excuse for a squad we have, take out the major players we have and every manager would struggle.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think this was an ill-judged appointment, doomed to failure - but to suggest after this short time and with largely the same bunch of losers on the field, that somehow it is the managers fault (alone), I can't agree. Nor can I agree that they would be any better if Guardiola/Klopp/Rodgers or God Almighty was coaching them. They lack basic skills, they lack basic footballing hunger for the ball, they lack pace and they lack personal drive. The only shining lights are either injured, or we bought for tuppence in the summer. Then there is Rondon, used to terrorise us when he played for the barcodes, now terrorises us with his mediocrity. The latter is a free hit against Bennie, but otherwise I think you're wide of the mark AT THIS EARLY STAGE.

Ultimately we don't really have a choice but to keep him, such has been our poor selection of managers, profligacy with funds and lack of single direction. Brands either can't (or isn't being allowed to) set the footballing philosophy of the club. If Blue Bill is to be retained, it really should be as a figure-head. Moshiri runs the company like an accountant, it needs to be led by vision and purpose, drive and clarity and with something the whole set-up can buy into. The problem is the entitlement of those in charge - senior club, long-standing top flight residence, rarely in a relegation fight (comparatively) and the thinking that status quo is good enough. We even applaud ourselves at the start of every home match for having been in more top flight games than any other club, as if that counts for anything.

Nil satis nisi status quo, to misquote an oft quoted Latin phrase. Benitez's appointment is the epitome of that, but it is still far too early to sack him.

He did, but that was the lowest we fell all season.

Do you think that will happen this year?

Carlo didn't have us anywhere near the relegation zone last year at all. I can see us there by Christmas. Even @davek knows and he's getting a headstart on lowering expectations.

It doesn’t matter where we were after 20 games, and I’m not suggesting Benitez will succeed because he clearly won’t. But Carlo was a failure who finished 10th in the most wide open freak of a season when everything fell into place for us with most of the top 6 being basket cases.

Yeah, you're right, much better to stick with the fella who put us there.
if you can't see he's getting a tune out of some rank bad players you must be blind. But what is he supposed to do when all the good players are injured? How does he make Godfrey and Gbamin fit, magic away Hollgate, take ten years off Coleman?
oh, he can't. But when he's got the good players back our good form will return. Unless the fans expect him to magic good results from thin air,. We got a draw at OT two weeks ago with these bottlers, but we cannot continue to defy gravity with a host of bums in the team.

A few more defeats and Moshers will be getting the dagger out

Denise baxendale as new manager. After all she is ceo - must know her stuff

It doesn’t matter where we were after 20 games, and I’m not suggesting Benitez will succeed because he clearly won’t. But Carlo was a failure who finished 10th in the most wide open freak of a season when everything fell into place for us with most of the top 6 being basket cases.

I'm not arguing Carlo wasn't a failure for finishing 10th.

I'm arguing that the "weak squad" shouldn't be an excuse for Benitez finishing below 10th and flirting with relegation when it is basically an unchanged squad from last year that spent most of the time fighting for European competition and only lost it on the last day.

if you can't see he's getting a tune out of some rank bad players you must be blind. But what is he supposed to do when all the good players are injured? How does he make Godfrey and Gbamin fit, magic away Hollgate, take ten years off Coleman?
oh, he can't. But when he's got the good players back our good form will return. Unless the fans expect him to magic good results from thin air,. We got a draw at OT two weeks ago with these bottlers, but we cannot continue to defy gravity with a host of bums in the team.
Who's been playing well these last 5 matches mate?

We've been crap and the excuses don't cut it.

He did, but that was the lowest we fell all season.

Do you think that will happen this year?

Carlo didn't have us anywhere near the relegation zone last year at all. I can see us there by Christmas. Even @davek knows and he's getting a headstart on lowering expectations.
we hinished tenth, so that's where we deserved to finish, once all the results were in. It's nol tike musical chairs. He got sixty million to spend, not sixty pence, plus he had our £50m player to call on. We'l stilll finish higher ths season.

Status
Not open for further replies.