Would things drastically change if Benitez left tomorrow?

If Benitez left tomorrow and nothing else changed would Everton's fortunes improve?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Worse than going out of the cup to QPR, getting hammered at home to Watford and making Wolves look like prime Bayern Munich for 45 mins? Is the new manager going to send Big Dunc round to my house to ravish my wife in front of my kids and I while Delph stands on my couch rubbing his thighs like Vic Reeves?
Go and watch the highlights videos from the Koeman, Allardyce and Ancellotti days then get back to us.

No - he's a divisive appointment which hasn't helped imo, but there's a clear streak of yellow right through the pitiful squad of players that Moshiri and brands have left us with. Our fixtures up to the end of December look horrible and I don't see us picking many points up, so it's probably going to get worse before it gets any better - just depressing really.

Until we sort out the entire structure of the club, from dof, scouts, senior squad, u23s, academy, ex player crap coaches etc, then getting rid of the manager will fix nothing, even though I never wanted Benitez in the first place.

We will be exactly the same after a few games with the next man, whoever he is, until the entire squad/club is slashed and burned.

This starts with not panicking, then getting rid of Brands who doesn't have a clue, then letting Rafael pick what players we can have in January and then trying to stay up.
Every other team seems to have those players that graft, we never do, apart from Cahill in his time.

We need solid, dependable players to form the spine of the team and then add quality to that, thats not Iwobi, Rondon, Keane by the way.

Snap poll...

Heated debate across several threads about whether our current malaise is Benitez, the players, rot in the wider club, or a cumulative effect.

So, if Benitez left tomorrow (and nothing else changed) would we improve?

Probably.

I think the fan’s loathing of, and justifiable misgivings about Benitez has permeated every crevice of the club.

His very presence is having a negative effect on EFC.

There is definitely a feeling abroad that this appointment was both ill advised and ill starred and that it will not last beyond a year.

Already it is beginning to feel like the dog days of Moonhead, Sam and Silva.

This next run of fixtures will most likely end up with us hovering just above the relegation places and things will turn very ugly if that is indeed the case.

With the exception of last season, it seems like every November has us in this state of depression.

This is one joyless football club these days.

Not overnight - of course this is a long process

But the process can't start until we appoint a new manager and the division and animosity begin to heal. We fundamentally have the wrong manager, so none of the other changes we need can happen until we change the manager as a first step.

It would also help with the little thing of actually enjoying our team play. I know that's a lot to ask for, but it would be very nice.

Oh for the days when we could look forward to the match.

And that sorry state of affairs long predates Benitez BTW,

I don't think it would make any real difference. Since Moyes went we have had one manager after another that has failed to manage our players effectively. The complete panic that seems to strike in nearly every game when we come under any real pressure is bewildering. I can't see Mina, CL & Richy being here after the summer. For me the problem is running right through the club. We've had two directors of football who have failed. We can't see it in any other way. Yes they have brought in a couple of decent buys but overall the losses made on players speaks volumes. Brands and Walsh are responsible for the dross we have now and every manager has failed to manage them for more than a season. It's been said many times but we need to be ruthless from top to bottom. We can argue for Moshiri to go but that's irrelevant until someone shows some interest in buying the club. The manager should be able to make any appointments he sees fit and not be told that he has to keep ex-players as coaches for sentimentality. It certainly isn't creating an environment where players want to fight for the club, it seems to be doing the opposite. Let's ditch the director of football roll, it has failed appallingly and we should move on.
FFP means we have to look to the Championship, or lower and cheap foreign buys so lets get our scouts concentrating on this. Unless we can sell CL and Richy for silly money, then we have no real obvious way of getting money to balance the books within the rules. We are in a seriously dangerous position and action needs to be taken sooner rather than later to over-hall the squad in its entirety. It can be done though and Moshiri has to be brave and make the big decisions now.

Doubt it.

Everton Football Club as a commercial business and it's footballing operations has major issues and a change of manager won't solve them.

Since Moyes left there's been many manager changes and playing personnel changes. Sure the players are not at the level required for European football or cup wins and we can label the 'deadwood' throughout these periods, but I feel it's quite clear now that the club's (business') problems are more deep-rooted than just what's on the field and it starts at the top on the board room. There's been a consistency of in-house mediocrity throughout the manager changes and until that changes this will always be the Everton we know.

Arguing for Benitez to go now on purely footballing grounds is dumb.

I can forgive it of those that never wanted him, and want any excuse to see him gone, because at least that's a consistent argument - even if I don't agree.

But thinking this on-pitch malaise is his fault is just wrong. Throwing another manager in the shredder and expecting better of the next schmuck we can convince to come is not the answer. We need to sort this squad out.
Not just the squad, although definitely needs sorting out, at the very top is what needs sorting out, they’ve proved consistently that they are living in the past and the club has been dying on it’s feet these last twenty years or so with no sign of any change, while the people at the top running the club remain I see no hope of the club improving on the field anytime soon. Benitez is fighting them on his own at the moment, if he is replaced the club’s position will change for the worst, don’t change the manager, get rid of those who have managed this stagnation over the last twenty odd years.

Status
Not open for further replies.