Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I’ve said before, I get this but we have had nothing at all to enjoy.

Nothing at all.

Not a blasted thing.

But it could have been worse….imagine the actual despair of relegation,

I got a taster of it it on Wimbledon Day.

We looked down and out for about ten minutes and outside of the deaths of my parents and a younger brother, it was the most distressing ten minutes of my life.

I was actually sobbing as Anders went down in the box at the building site that was the Park End at the time ?

So, sorry….no amount of Championship titles or Play Off victories is worth the pain of a relegation.

Nothing at all.

Not a blasted thing.

We looked down and out for about ten minutes and outside of the deaths of my parents and a younger brother, it was the most distressing ten minutes of my life.

I was actually sobbing as Anders went down in the box at the building site that was the Park End at the time ?

So, sorry….no amount of Championship titles or Play Off victories is worth the pain of a relegation.
well said K...and anyone who thinks counter to the football existentiality you describe, does not understand existentiality

Firstly if you've read my previous posts, you know I think that was a horrible result and Everton were terrible.

But I think something that doesn't get talked about is that there's an overreaction to events because the result is so bad. I hope you hear me out on this.

For example, contrast the two games Man United v Liverpool and Everton v Watford. Man United got outplayed all day. Whereas Everton collapsed in the last 10 minutes. Sure there's no excuse for that, but Everton were winning the game 75 minutes in. Win the game, I don't think people would have been that upset. It's just that the chances of letting 4 in against a team like Watford is so remote, that its like people have to come out with a reaction that is comparable to the result.

I think the issues are solvable and it starts with Yerry Mina on and going back to the old way of defending corners. Whether Rafael's ego allows for it is another matter. If we don't concede the equalizer, we don't chase the game and throw men forward. We've seen before that Rafael gets overconfident and gambles when down, such as against Villa when we were broken down for the third goal. Rafael's gamble is to trade 1 point for 3. People saying the players threw in the towel, I don't think that explains everything, that might be part of it when the game is over at 4-2. There weren't enough men back, because they threw men forward to get a goal back. IF we were down 5-0 with 45 mins to go against Watford and couldn't get a single shot off, I might agree with the players not trying, but I think what we really saw was Everton trying to not lose a game they should never have lost. They panicked, tried to get a goal at the end, and were scored on. Its basic maths that if you throw allan and Davies forward you're wide open.

But having said all that - It's not like i'm upset at people getting upset, I'm with you guys. I just feel like no one pointed out the fact it was one of those days where everything went right for Watford at the end.

It’s becoming far too common results like this

Even under Ancelotti we lost at home 3-1 to Bournemouth on the last day of the season and they were virtually all but relegated at that time
You are spot on regarding this type of result, proven by the disasters of last season especially, and I fear many of the so-called 'lesser' teams now have much confidence to come to Goodison and get a result. The continuation of this trend will soon put Everton in the 'lesser' team category.
Correct me if I am wrong, as it wouldn't be the first (million) time @RomanReigns, but weren't Bournemouth already relegated at this point? I thought they were and this match seemed to be a 'what the heck, go out and enjoy yourself' type of game for them.
Should I be wrong, then it is yet another freakin' disaster of a result.
I honestly believe we should change our motto from NSNO to read EVERTON THAT.

You are spot on regarding this type of result, proven by the disasters of last season especially, and I fear many of the so-called 'lesser' teams now have much confidence to come to Goodison and get a result. The continuation of this trend will soon put Everton in the 'lesser' team category.
Correct me if I am wrong, as it wouldn't be the first (million) time @RomanReigns, but weren't Bournemouth already relegated at this point? I thought they were and this match seemed to be a 'what the heck, go out and enjoy yourself' type of game for them.
Should I be wrong, then it is yet another freakin' disaster of a result.
I honestly believe we should change our motto from NSNO to read EVERTON THAT.
aston villa got a point on the last day of the season so bournemouth got relegated by 1 point

if villa had lost then bournemouth would have stayed up on goal difference

aston villa got a point on the last day of the season so bournemouth got relegated by 1 point

if villa had lost then bournemouth would have stayed up on goal difference
Thanks for the heads up @RomanReigns, as I did think I might have been wrong after reading your post and felt I needed to check.
So, to pick up your original statement, then yes, this was yet another catastrophic result.

Nothing at all.

Not a blasted thing.

I was there, I turned around at the
Nothing at all.

Not a blasted thing.

I was there, I turned around at the final whistle and saw grown men in tears, a traumatic day.

Firstly if you've read my previous posts, you know I think that was a horrible result and Everton were terrible.

But I think something that doesn't get talked about is that there's an overreaction to events because the result is so bad. I hope you hear me out on this.

For example, contrast the two games Man United v Liverpool and Everton v Watford. Man United got outplayed all day. Whereas Everton collapsed in the last 10 minutes. Sure there's no excuse for that, but Everton were winning the game 75 minutes in. Win the game, I don't think people would have been that upset. It's just that the chances of letting 4 in against a team like Watford is so remote, that its like people have to come out with a reaction that is comparable to the result.

I think the issues are solvable and it starts with Yerry Mina on and going back to the old way of defending corners. Whether Rafael's ego allows for it is another matter. If we don't concede the equalizer, we don't chase the game and throw men forward. We've seen before that Rafael gets overconfident and gambles when down, such as against Villa when we were broken down for the third goal. Rafael's gamble is to trade 1 point for 3. People saying the players threw in the towel, I don't think that explains everything, that might be part of it when the game is over at 4-2. There weren't enough men back, because they threw men forward to get a goal back. IF we were down 5-0 with 45 mins to go against Watford and couldn't get a single shot off, I might agree with the players not trying, but I think what we really saw was Everton trying to not lose a game they should never have lost. They panicked, tried to get a goal at the end, and were scored on. Its basic maths that if you throw allan and Davies forward you're wide open.

But having said all that - It's not like i'm upset at people getting upset, I'm with you guys. I just feel like no one pointed out the fact it was one of those days where everything went right for Watford at the end.
It's become part and parcel of being a fan now.

Noticed this the last few years, the minute the tide turns in the season , people seem to react dramatically to a defeat like we are the defending champions losing to Norwich. Personally I never had much enthusiasm for this season and felt that many fans wouldn't realise that a spend of 1.5 million and massive cost cutting exercise would result in a season that was over before it begun. If it means we can rebuild next season then all for it, the terrible running had to catch up with us sooner or later.

People seem to overplay where we are as a club now and underplay the limitations of the squad. Sometimes we are just terrible and this season is very much just 'one of them'

Votes are still being cast but, there's less than 24 hours now till the poll closes... 4.57pm UK time Thursday.
Don't delay, vote today ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.