Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I will point out Brands and the board are also partly to blame our squad isn't good enough and losing three key players was always going to decimate us.
Partly? Evertonians need to realise that while we are well within our rights to blame the players for not being good enough - and they really, really aren't - they don't buy themselves. Moshiri and Brands are ultimately culpable for today's disgrace. Benitez, who will also have to shoulder responsibility for today, will know precisely who he can rely on now...and it isn't what he put on the pitch today, by and large. Can he rely on Moshiri and Brands to rectify this? I suspect not. For his sake, I hope he still has Amanda Staveley's phone number because Evertonians are still to fully accept that we are a total mess off the pitch, let alone on it. No manager can get a consistent tune out of this rabble. The manager will need to burn Goodison to the ground and build from zero because there is nothing there to work with.

I wonder how it would have panned out if the correct sub of Richy on for Rondon was made, instead of Gordon coming off.

The boos for the decision should show Rafael clearly what a shocker it was
I wonder if the fact that after a good performance away at Old Trafford AG was dropped in favour of Iwoeful at home to West Ham the next week is Rafael's way of saying "you don't really have a future at the club". (Or at least, that's what I'b be wondering if I was AG).

I guess everybody is fuming over that last 20 mins performance, but that’s up there with the daftest post of the day - there wasn’t even a U23s/18 player on the pitch , you watched a pathetic first team performance and somehow blame it on the U23s and below who you think are “ frankly awful” . Bizarre in the extreme, you probably voted Rondon or Godfrey MOTM
Why is an overweight has been picked up front seven games on the trot and dobbin and simms overlooked? Why have two successive managers made an overt point of not filling the bench claiming insufficient numbers? And why pick three sub keepers? They are overt messages.

Add to that the ridiculous stubbornness of persistence with Rondon.

I’m serious when I say this, I have seen better centre forwards in non league football.

If DCL is going to be out for another month or so, he has to find another option, even if it means turning Mina into an emergency striker.

We simply can not persist with Rondon any longer.

I think the worst part is that Josh King, who Rondon replaced, scored a hat trick and touched the ball way more than Rondon did.

It's clear that Rondon is not up to the pace of the premier league, which is why he can't get the ball. I didn't think he would be this ineffective.

Depends really. I would argue he would have had a better squad to work with than he had at West Ham, at least initially. The way he has developed Rice, Cresswell and Antonio is really impressive. You would hope he could get our defence back into shape and get better transition play in place.
I'm not sure I agree looking at the squad when Carlo was hired

Partly? Evertonians need to realise that while we are well within our rights to blame the players for not being good enough - and they really, really aren't - they don't buy themselves. Moshiri and Brands are ultimately culpable for today's disgrace. Benitez, who will also have to shoulder responsibility for today, will know precisely who he can rely on now...and it isn't what he put on the pitch today, by and large. Can he rely on Moshiri and Brands to rectify this? I suspect not. For his sake, I hope he still has Amanda Staveley's phone number because Evertonians are still to fully accept that we are a total mess off the pitch, let alone on it. No manager can get a consistent tune out of this rabble. The manager will need to burn Goodison to the ground and build from zero because there is nothing there to work with.
Plenty of blame to go around today. Moshiri and Brands for creating the mess we were in this summer. The players for the usual capitulation. Benitez for being out thought by Claudio Ranieri and for seemingly being incapable of coaching set pieces.

Why is an overweight has been picked up front seven games on the trot and dobbin and simms overlooked? Why have two successive managers made an overt point of not filling the bench claiming insufficient numbers? And why pick three sub keepers? They are overt messages.
Hahaha, we lost 5-2 to Watford at home, and you somehow think it was the fault of the U23s/18 s you’re having a worse ‘ mare than our team today, do get a grip . Simms is injured by the way.

Letting relegation fodder watford bum you 5 times at home is surely a new low for this club. It's results like this that SHOULD cause heads to roll. We know nothing will change at the club though and we will continue to sleepwalk towards certain relegation.

I've defended Benitez so far, but his mysterious loyalty to rondon is bewildering. Just what filthy scene involving Benitez has rondon captured on tape and is holding over him for ransom?

Last edited:
I don't remember godfrey covering keanes mistakes though i do remember Godfrey chasing down a few - i thought in general while we were sloppy everyone on the team today was sloppy. Pickford hit 3 in a row and missed his targets by miles. Everyone was wasteful again.

I don't want to put THAT much blame on Godfrey but I don't think he can zonal mark, at least not the way Rafael has set up for corners. It is obviously more suited for Mina. The outswingers mean the opposition are running in and getting free headers while Godfrey is standing his ground and he can't get high enough.

Same last week when Godfrey got beaten out on the near post against WH. And pretty sure we gave up another goal to Villa on a set piece the same way as well (which probably wasn't Godfrey so don't want to blame him there).

The rest of the team is coming apart, because we don't have enough decent players to play Rafael's system, 442 just means its more open in the middle. Doucoure out means less ground covered. DCL out means can't hold up the ball. Rondon is like playing with 10 men all day. Iwobi turns up once every 10 matches. Gordon and Davies were good today. We have 6 legit top half Premier League outfield first team players today, Keane, Digne, Richarlison, Allan, Townsend, Gray. I think Godfrey is a good player, but i'm a bit concerned at some of his weaknesses as a defender, maybe its COVID affecting him.

The problem i think is threefold:

1: Spine of Keane + Davies + Rondon

2: Ditched Davide Ancelotti's defensive set piece setup and gone zonal

3: Played a deep defence to protect Keane which has hampered both Digne and Godfrey

Its all on Benitez for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.