Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime Davies plays our midfield gets bypassed so easily.
He's got no positional sense but unlike Doucoure doesn't have the pace to cover it up. And Allan has no real positional sense either. So yes every time you play those two gaps are gonna happen.

More than DCL and Doucoure, I think we missed Mina,who at least has presence in the defence and is a good 'blocker'. Interesting to see what reaction there is from Benitez to this result.....January will be a vital window for Everton. I expect some changes for our next game....its a matter of pride for Benitez if not for some of the players. Todays problems started as soon as Iwobi came on....the weakness in the defence was made a lot worse from that moment. Ah well...we move on....fresh start next game.

Our defenders dont know what the hell theyre doing. Ambling around with noone taking control, gormlessly gawping at each other in the box when opposing players are waltzing through them. Theyve got no self respect and theyre an embarrassment the way they capitulated. Gutless.

Last edited:
Ancelotti was given a heads up that there would be no transfer kitty last summer. Have a niggly worrying sense that he had ran the rule over the 23’s and below and that they are, frankly, awful.
Real or not, he wasn’t up for a mid table season at best ahead. FSW has come in and is, it would appear, making the same judgement on the wider club playing resources (in persisting with Rondon in particular). There is a rancid stink of complacency and ‘meh’ about the wider club younger sides. It’s been done to death on here but Unsworth and all of Kenrights sycophants need to be shown the door. Today. Rip it up and start again.
Wouldn’t have mattered had he had £500m to spend. Real Madrid or this joke of a club. No brainer

I don't mean having 70% of the ball. You can control games without having the ball. That's about shape, being organised.

As soon as we had the lead for 5 mins he should have got Rondon off and gone to three in midfield and tightened it up. He didn't and then we completely fold.

We might have had a bit of control with 3 in midfield, it's about limiting space and then having numbers in certain areas.

I know you love your analytical and tactical way of looking at things but from playing footy from a 5-year-old and just generally knowing the game, it's really simple sometimes. Ranieri changed to a back three and they outnumbered us. Benitez didn't respond.
I think there have been times this season where we have done the controlling the game without the ball stuff though. If that is what you're looking for we were doing that for periods of the season. Today was way worse for sure but I think it is hard to be that livid with Benitez on the whole on that standard.

I dont know how many times I've written this, but this result should be an earthquake of a wake up call for those running the club that 90% of these players aren't good enough for the premier league. The recruitment over the last 5 years has been probably the biggest waste of money in premier league history.

This club will face the relegation battle they deserve this season after the mismanagement of recruitment that has occurred under the watch of walsh/brands/moshiri. A total shambles of a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.