Match Thread Everton v Watford - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Digne or Ben are both good versatile players, fit and athletic but the point is surely that the manager should be creative with his team selection and formation based on who we play. I think too many players are pigeon holed into one role. Hope that makes sense
Don't think pigeon holing at PL level is whats going on. More like sitting duck with Godfrey in DM.
Would like to see Digne given a go though. He played CB, I think last season in a league cup match, and remember him doing quite well.
But these things really only happen out of necessity... mother of invention and all that.

Don't think pigeon holing at PL level is whats going on. More like sitting duck with Godfrey in DM.
Would like to see Digne given a go though. He played CB, I think last season in a league cup match, and remember him doing quite well.
But these things really only happen out of necessity... mother of invention and all that.
It’s necessity I’m talking about when we have a huge bunch of injuries we have to think outside the box and try things like Rondon as DM ?and godfrey or Digne as striker ?No seriously all I mean is that there are a number of different ways opposition play say Burnley are totally different to Brentford and we should play to their weaknesses I wouldn’t play Rondon gomes or he who cannot be mentioned against a speedy hardworking side like Brentford but would play Godfrey holgate Davies Allan conversely a big bruising side like Burnley then Mina Keane gomes.
It’s just fun to play hypothetical manager but I guess to trust Benitez to pick appropriate team formation and tactics in reality

The way things are going we will need to order some crutches just to be able to field 11 players. We have been unlucky with injuries for a few years but man we are reaching new levels even for us. Really does make you wonder if our own health and training regime and procedures are complicit too as it seems way too often and widespread just to be unluckiness and coincidence.

Anyway, shouldn't even need legs to beat these. Dead cert Watford will play like real madrid tomorrow now.

Anyway Blues on Crutches FTW!!!

Not so much Watford but generally going forward I am concerned we are onto a hiding for nothing in the coming weeks. I just can't see us getting results against city and them lot with 1 midfielder and no out and out striker.

Could be great defending and attacking but won't see the ball without a midfield.

All our games are going to be tough now, including this one. Anyone who thinks we'll breeze through this one is being hugely optimistic. If we apply ourselves as a team as we did in the first few games, we should win, however a repeat of last weeks limp effort will make it a squeaky bum game.

So certain starters who are absentees tomorrow:
Mina, Doucoure, DCL

Others:
Gomes? Delph, Gylfi.

the difference those first 3 players make to the quality of the starting XI is crazy.

the drop off in quality of their replacements is huge.

Tosun and Delph are back aren't they.

In my opinion as we have lost one of our only 2 midfielders good enough to play in a 2 we have to go 4-3-3. My team would be.

Pickford
Coleman Mina Keane Digne
Gbamin Allan Davies
Townsend Richarlison Gray

Begovic Kenny Holgate Godfrey Gomes Iwobi Gordon Rondon Dobbin

Another keeper on the bench if Gomes not fit. That starting line up should be good enough. Personally I prefer Godfrey at CB but he has made a few mistakes so needs to be taken out the firing line or he'll get destroyed like Holgate did last season.

So Godfrey comes in for Mina, Branthwaite onto the bench. Tyrer on the bench in place of Gomes.

could see this game having a few goals in it with watford still leaking like a colander and we always have a mistake in us. 3-1 UTFT!!
I know where you are coming from @Charles Hawtrey and I couldn't really argue against it, but, I am always wary about a team that has just been well and truly mollucated.
Ranieri is no mug and will have these well organised and be difficult to break down, so it is imperative we score first, and early, to drag them out of their comfort zone.
We do that and I think your score prediction could well be the correct one.
Here's hoping, eh!

The press conference today was poor from a journalist point of view. The first question should always be “what is the team news” whereas today, they asked about individual players to the extent that we only found out about Mina being out by chance

Status
Not open for further replies.