2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need to go all out to get him tied down to a new contract. Good centre backs that we could realistically sign are few and far between, Yeri is our best central defender, our favored pairing is Yeri plus one of the others. He is a presence on the pitch and seems to be a nice lad who is popular with his team mates off the pitch.

Captain material perhaps?
I agree with you , he is by far our best centre back, has big presence on the field and off it. Has some snide to him too. The only think for me is injuries. He gets a few a season. And he seems to take a while to get back from them. I agree needs a contract otherwise sell now why we get best value. If we do get him to sign a new extension, which I hope we do. Don’t be silly with the wages and length. Is hard as someone can come in and offer more, and he could be gone. We could offer more and he gets injuries. Football is a risk game. So boils down to are we better when he in the team. I think so. Would we need to spend more than we get for him to find a better replacement?. Maybe.

Any player can sit out his contact and there is nothing that can be done about that. He could be isolated from the team but then you lose a good player from the squad and an expensive one at that.

Mina may be thinking of moving on or he may just be positioning himself for a better deal.

It probably proves that Brands has done well by signing a player that other clubs would now like to sign.
He came from Barcelona so it was a bit of a coup to get him in the first place, we were not in a position to make contractual conditions... Barca even inserted a release clause afaik.
True any player can sit out his contract but the point is Brands needs to identify scenarios where that looks like happening and do all he can to prevent it i.e. by doing everything possible to sell and recoup some fee.

There have been so many signings over the moshiri era where we’ve just had to wait out their contracts until we could release them, they’ve been that bad. All the more important we don’t lose the ones that have been a relative success for free.

I don’t think the club / brands are entirely helpless if indeed a player was believed to be intending to run down his contract. I’m pretty sure if they want to get something for what is ultimately on of the clubs ‘assets’ they can find away that benifits the club. If they didn’t every player would move on a bosman. They do have to make the call at an appropriate time to do whatever needs doing to shift them or make the call that that it’s in the clubs best interests to accept them leaving on a free or nominal sum with 6m left so they have them for the remainder of their contract (or most of it).
schniederlin maybe is a recent example, and while the rumoured £2m fee is pretty poor for someone we paid £20m for, it’s better than nothing had he hung on another 6 or 12 months
Thanks, you’ve made the point better than I could. This is exactly the balance Brands has to make and difficult calls involved.

I’d be really surprised if the club didn’t have a good idea by the start of the summer about whether Yerry was a) likely to sign a new deal, b) wanted to wait until next summer to consider options or c) was going to run down his contract.

If it’s b or c then the appropriate time to make a call on selling him has gone - it was this summer. Like you say in that scenario we should pull out all the stops to move him on and recover some value.

We can’t let players who have a value in the market get into the last 18/12 months of their contract - renewing becomes almost impossible, it’s not in the players interest.

True any player can sit out his contract but the point is Brands needs to identify scenarios where that looks like happening and do all he can to prevent it i.e. by doing everything possible to sell and recoup some fee.

There have been so many signings over the moshiri era where we’ve just had to wait out their contracts until we could release them, they’ve been that bad. All the more important we don’t lose the ones that have been a relative success for free.
It is a decision between getting a bigger fee or keeping an important player.
It isn't an easy call.

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes and hopefully contract negotiations are going ahead as we speak, if not and the player is determined to leave then it could happen in January.

It’s his job to implement a strategy? I understand he can’t make someone sign a new deal but he’s privy to all the information about whether a player wants to renew or not or is stalling. He needs to make a call. If he can’t get a commitment with two years left on the deal then the player has to be sold. One things for sure, we won’t get close his true worth next summer or if his contract expires.

We’re really just coming down to the excuse that has been made for Brands throughout his entire time with us when it comes to selling players. It’s a difficult market and who’d want to buy our players.
I'm not making excuses for him mate. Overall he's not been great in the role since he started and I'm happy to criticise him for things he got wrong, both in player trading and running the football side of the club in general. But I'm just being realistic where Mina is concerned. He hasn't done much wrong here and I think you're just scapegoating the guy.

There's a lot more wrong with the running of this club than just Brands. The danger in scapegoating him is that you start to think that things will immediately improve the minute he leaves, and you'll just end up disappointed.

So Mina is clearly out of the West Ham game considering he won’t get back from Colombia until Friday. Do we go with Keane and Godfrey with Coleman sliding back at RB?

This is so annoying, international games should not be allowed to let players miss their games with the clubs who pay the wages. It's a joke this season.

So Mina is clearly out of the West Ham game considering he won’t get back from Colombia until Friday. Do we go with Keane and Godfrey with Coleman sliding back at RB?
Benitez made some comment on Godfrey that he wouldn’t play CB against big strikers although he’s bigger than Holgate, so I imagine if Coleman is available then Godfrey will play alongside Keane.

I'm not making excuses for him mate. Overall he's not been great in the role since he started and I'm happy to criticise him for things he got wrong, both in player trading and running the football side of the club in general. But I'm just being realistic where Mina is concerned. He hasn't done much wrong here and I think you're just scapegoating the guy.

There's a lot more wrong with the running of this club than just Brands. The danger in scapegoating him is that you start to think that things will immediately improve the minute he leaves, and you'll just end up disappointed.
There’s a lot more than Brands wrong with the club, sure. He’s responsible for renewing contracts though so don’t think it’s scapegoating him in relation to the discussion we’re having about Mina. If Mina signs a new deal then no problem. If we lose a valuable asset for free though because we didn’t sell him when it became apparent he wouldn’t sign a new deal that’s blame for Brands.

Benitez made some comment on Godfrey that he wouldn’t play CB against big strikers although he’s bigger than Holgate, so I imagine if Coleman is available then Godfrey will play alongside Keane.
Yes I heard that and thought that was strange, you can’t just drop him, in and out of the centre back positions, based on the height of the forwards we’re against.

I know Rafael knows a lot more than me lol but continuity is so important at the back. And if you have a Mina or Keane at least you have one who’s good in the Air.

Also v Burnley when he’s was in the middle of a 3. I thought he coped well in the Air v Wood and Barnes

There’s a lot more than Brands wrong with the club, sure. He’s responsible for renewing contracts though so don’t think it’s scapegoating him in relation to the discussion we’re having about Mina. If Mina signs a new deal then no problem. If we lose a valuable asset for free though because we didn’t sell him when it became apparent he wouldn’t sign a new deal that’s blame for Brands.
And if the manager, not to mention the owner, tell Brands that they don't want Mina to be sold because we won't be able to bring a good enough replacement in. Or if we do sell Mina in one of the next 2 transfer windows because he won't sign a new deal, and the manager walks away because we're selling our best players from under his nose. You have zero idea what is going in behind the scenes and what pressure is being put on Brands from within the club. You also assume that Brands has the final decision in these things. I'd be gobsmacked if he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.