2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't click the article, but they've actually won five. Not sure how many are down to EITC. But the club have said 'Everton and EITC'

A silver award was also won by the club for Best New Player/Contract Signing/Reveal Campaign, for James Rodriguez, which saw the club accelerate its profile in South and North America and across the globe, following the arrival of the Colombia international from Spanish giants Real Madrid.

A focus on digital and social, supported by inspiring physical on-the-ground, news-making activations in South America, North America and Europe, amplified the announcement and galvanised Evertonians - old and new - to participate in meaningful and authentic engagement.

From lighting up Bogota’s tallest building in the Club’s royal blue colours and Rodriguez’s number 19 shirt number, to celebrating the playmaker’s capture on billboards in New York City and on Miami beach, the signing made waves across the world.

It's a good article. Only sums up most of what we've been saying.

The 'quote' they've used from the former player is old - the Athletic do that a lot now, recycle bits of their old pieces (which is fine), but it was published in July/August originally.

The one bit I do find funny is Benitez viewing James as a sign of the overspending, bloated approach etc.

Then he's chased Rondon all summer

I don't get the anger either....
He did whatever he had to do for us. After the #AloJames stuff at the start, we did nothing major to make use of his 50m followers and connect him to the club, like interviews, photo shoots etc so why would he give loads of interviews etc. When Benitez came it was very clear immediately it was either one of them at the club, so we already made that choice, and now we are on 18 month cycles, and will have Benitez's players now, until the next new strategy is created. But I think we've run out of strategies now - since 2013 we've done
- Young manager with potential - Martinez, Silva
- Our own club promotions - BIg Dunc, Unsworth
- Hollywood - Koeman, Ancelotti
- Best of Britain - Allardyce
- European 'Elite' (!!) - Benitez

I agree, we need to aim this at the comical ludicrous management, but I'm beyond angry, I am beyond zen about our club now. I don't know what the next knee-jerk strategy will be, unless we go for two of each category, in which case we can still expect Neil Warnock and Claudio Ranieri?

I am writing this in a positive haze of blue tinted glasses and have decided to enjoy whatever comes our way next :)
Big Dunc and a blue boot room strategy.

A silver award was also won by the club for Best New Player/Contract Signing/Reveal Campaign, for James Rodriguez, which saw the club accelerate its profile in South and North America and across the globe, following the arrival of the Colombia international from Spanish giants Real Madrid.

A focus on digital and social, supported by inspiring physical on-the-ground, news-making activations in South America, North America and Europe, amplified the announcement and galvanised Evertonians - old and new - to participate in meaningful and authentic engagement.

From lighting up Bogota’s tallest building in the Club’s royal blue colours and Rodriguez’s number 19 shirt number, to celebrating the playmaker’s capture on billboards in New York City and on Miami beach, the signing made waves across the world.
At last, the real reason we went for James is revealed!

I very much doubt that , he couldnt even make an empty seat on the bench.

I didn't buy it at the time, but reckon @PhilM was spot on in that it was just that we were still looking to get him gone so wouldn't want to risk anything.

That being said, have a feeling James would have stayed if he reckoned he had a chance of winning Benitez over enough to get regular game time. Only those two know their personal history. Maybe James didn't have that fight in him, and so Qatar, with the WC coming up, is his best route for regular footy with what he had left post-August window.

I didn't buy it at the time, but reckon @PhilM was spot on in that it was just that we were still looking to get him gone so wouldn't want to risk anything.

That being said, have a feeling James would have stayed if he reckoned he had a chance of winning Benitez over enough to get regular game time. Only those two know their personal history. Maybe James didn't have that fight in him, and so Qatar, with the WC coming up, is his best route for regular footy with what he had left post-August window.
He was never getting game time under Benitez .

Status
Not open for further replies.