2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like five at the back, but he did change it. I think he set us up for a physical battle and hoped to use the wings. It didn’t work, it never does with us, but we stayed in the game.

This felt like one of those games were no matter what formation we started with we would have been changing early in the second-half to see if we could do something different. If we had started 433 we probably would have ended up 442 or 451.

The really important thing against the team like Burnley is to be willing to make changes and try something different. It was changing the system at that time in the game gave us the momentum to go on and win it.
He could have changed it earlier if anything, and I half expected him to like he did in the Southampton game.

At the start of last season…everyone praised carlo for his in-game changes, and how good we played.

how can our fans have such short memories ffs.

its 4 games ffs, and we have played nobody yet.
And we've came back twice from behind at home to relegation fodder Southampton and Burnley - hes proved nothing yet. Hopefully we win every game but way, way too early to be creaming ourselves about benitez.

Said at the time in the match day thread it was like a rope-a-dope. Benitez let Dyche think he was on top but once the thugs had tired we just glided through the gears and put them to bed and if anything it should have been more emphatic. Dyche looking every inch the footballing dinosaur he is on the side with no answer.
Dyche had Anclotti beaten at Goodison with ease last season, no contest between the 2 managers. Benitez has got pay back for that today, solely down to having a better grasp of the game than Ancelotti and knowing when to change things, that's aside from making them leaner and meaner. Carlo will do fine at Real with his ready made team who are certs for a top 2 finish......2nd probably getting the fake the sack :coffee:

I don’t like five at the back, but he did change it. I think he set us up for a physical battle and hoped to use the wings. It didn’t work, it never does with us, but we stayed in the game.

This felt like one of those games were no matter what formation we started with we would have been changing early in the second-half to see if we could do something different. If we had started 433 we probably would have ended up 442 or 451.

The really important thing against the team like Burnley is to be willing to make changes and try something different. It was changing the system at that time in the game gave us the momentum to go on and win it.
Or we could've played with the system that had been working since game 1? No DCL was an early boost to them and playing 3 at the back just told them we were afraid of them, at home. Waiting for them to take the lead to change it was very poor. I'd accept he was trying something out if he had changed it at half time. They could've been out of reach by then.

At the start of last season…everyone praised carlo for his in-game changes, and how good we played.

how can our fans have such short memories ffs.

its 4 games ffs, and we have played nobody yet.
It’s a fair enough comparison and one you are certainly entitled to make.

My own opinion for what it’s worth is that this team it’s better set up for the playing staff that we have. I know the first half wasn’t great and it felt like watching Carlo’s team in the second half of the season, but changes got made and we looked great after that.

I think the big difference for me is that we have goals from many more different players. That will give us greater resilience.
We won three nil without Calvert Lewin, and without Richarlison scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.