Goats squad analysis thread 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda agree, we have enough "depth" in most areas, we are of course light at LB and lacking quality at RB, I like Coleman still, I know its cool to bash on Seamus and hes not the player he was, but anyway,

A lot of doom and gloom after this window, yes we didnt add in places we should have and quality-wise we are slim in depth, but we still have some very good players and whilst I suspect a top 4 battle is mucho out of reach, theres no reason why we dont have the players to have a decent season.

The issue isn't that people don't like Seamus. The issue is that he hasn't played 30+ league games since 2014, and he's now 7 years older. That means we are probably looking at at least 10 matches where we have to play one of Kenny or Holgate there. We've seen both of them play and neither has top flight quality in that position.

I'm assuming Godfrey is the left back cover but he's very limited offensively in that role. He won't let us down, but we won't be able to get service to our forwards when he plays there.

I'll put it this way: it isn't the way I'd do it. We should stay up comfortably. The squad is too flawed for Europe or lifting silverware.

The broader problem, looking at the contracts, is that we're going into the season with Mina's ticking down and big decisions on Richarlison and Pickford as they will have two years left next summer. We've then got twelve months to persuade DCL, Digne and Godfrey to stay with whatever the rebuild looks like.

Interesting... so the Echo have a 'Pick The Team' app currently running on their website which let's you pick your preferred starting XI and compares it to the most popular picks overall. Thought I'd give it a go:

1630586583489.png

So it pretty much looks like most fans agree with the actual players in the preferred XI although the formation can differ slightly - either a 4-2-3-1 (mine says 4-5-1 although it isn't really) and 4-4-2.

I actually think a 4-4-2 would work but with Rondon instead of Richarlison.

Interesting... so the Echo have a 'Pick The Team' app currently running on their website which let's you pick your preferred starting XI and compares it to the most popular picks overall. Thought I'd give it a go:

View attachment 137791

So it pretty much looks like most fans agree with the actual players in the preferred XI although the formation can differ slightly.

I mean the only changes any of us would debate at the moment is like Townsend for Iwobi/Rodriguez... we don't really have any decent reserves.

I mean the only changes any of us would debate at the moment is like Townsend for Iwobi/Rodriguez... we don't really have any decent reserves.
That's true I guess. Entirely depends on the opponent and the particular circumstances (e.g. we're not winning with c.25 mins of the match to go etc.) but generally I think that starting XI is what we should be going with 9 times out of 10 regardless.

(1)
Pickford
Coleman Godfrey Mina Digne
JPG
Doucoure Allan
Gray--------------Richarlison
DCL

(2)
Pickford
Doucoure Allan
Townsend James Richarlison
DCL

(3)
Pickford
Doucoure Allan
Gray Iwobi Richarlison
DCL

(4)
Pickford
Townsend Doucoure Allan Gray
Richarlison DCL
With everyone fit I think we can play any of the above.

If we do start seeing James as the 10, I think Townsend has to be one of the wide-men given his workrate and the fact you have to carry James to get the best out of his top-class ability on the ball.

I do wonder if we'll ever see 4-3-3, would like to see it away to better teams maybe. Allan, Doucoure and JPG would be good at doing the firty work in midfield and we could just play on the counter to a really pacey front 3.

I'm also curious as to where Rondon stands in the pecking order, if DCL is out will we play Richarlison up top or will it be a like for like swap with Rondon and Richarlison playing off him.

View attachment 137791

So it pretty much looks like most fans agree with the actual players in the preferred XI although the formation can differ slightly - either a 4-2-3-1 (mine says 4-5-1 although it isn't really) and 4-4-2.

Issue with a 4-4-2 and playing Richarlison wide is he's just not a winger and is wasted as one.

While I'm not surely he looks entirely comfortable in it yet, I think that central position in a 4-4-1-1 (cause that's what it is really off the ball) works well for when we're wanting to press and hassle teams and gets Richarlison closer to goal.

When naming the 25 man squad I wonder if they will leave the suspended player and Tosun out which would allow us to bring in an out of contract LB if anything happens to Digne. If they name all 25 there will be absolutely no flexibility within the squad. I can't see either of them player playing between now and January and when the situation could be reviewed if either of them have a change of circumstances.

I doubt there is another professional football team as short as us at full back.

I dont like the squad. I dont like the window. Its 3/10 at best. If any of these players in their last year get an extension, I may physically explode.
Don't have to look far Tim. About a mile to be honest.

They have TAA and Robertson, then a left back cover who's probably no better than Kenny. They are then into providing cover from other positions just like us.

The one benefit they have over us is that TAA is probably more reliable fitness wise than Seamus. But there isn't much in it.

View attachment 137791

James should be in for Townsend.

I'll put it this way: it isn't the way I'd do it. We should stay up comfortably. The squad is too flawed for Europe or lifting silverware.

The broader problem, looking at the contracts, is that we're going into the season with Mina's ticking down and big decisions on Richarlison and Pickford as they will have two years left next summer. We've then got twelve months to persuade DCL, Digne and Godfrey to stay with whatever the rebuild looks like.
Good points, but I disagree about Europe. I reckon this squad is good enough, particularly with the improved fitness and the addition of pace to challenge for uefa

As far as I can tell we have the following players registered at the club who are aged over 21 and would need to be included in the 25 man squad to play in the premier league

Pickford
Begovic
Lonergan
Coleman
Kenny
Mina
Godfrey
Keane
Holgate
Digne
Allan
Doucoure
Gbamin
Gomes
Davies
Delph
Sigurdsson
James
Townsend
Gray
Iwobi
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Rondon
Tosun

I don't think I've missed anybody out. So that's a total of 25. Branthwaite and Gordon are the 2 under age players that make up the group.

Good points, but I disagree about Europe. I reckon this squad is good enough, particularly with the improved fitness and the addition of pace to challenge for uefa

We said that at the beginning of last season. Then the injuries started, and we ended up with a jury-rigged side in the second half.

I still think we're too thin, though Arsenal going in the tank opens a slot. Once we get the deadwood off the books after this season, we should be able to have the depth to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.