2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this forum we see complaints in regard to the elite clubs and their buying power, how they can soak up talent and then have no space in their first eleven to give them a game, however we generally don’t have a problem with the rules for international selection. The grandparent rule is too inclusive, you could have a player eligible for 7 countries just on the location of their birth or the of parents and grandparents. Put in the residency rule and that could go up even further. I would limit it to parents place of birth and that of the player. There will always be exceptions, a family moving from their home with child who then grows up to be international standard should be able to represent that country he calls home.
Being from Northern Ireland I am fairly relaxed about who plays, we are never going to win anything having a population of 1.7 million. If we beat the Swiss we go second in our group behind Italy, that is success. I would rather see players committed to the cause and enjoying playing for their country than having someone play under protest. If playing for Northern Ireland was good enough for George Best and Pat Jennings then it should be good enough for anybody.

Same difference.

Kane's parents should have insisted he play for their country.
I dunno Its probably better if the parents stay out of it altogether. It should be the players decision. Someone like Kevin Kilbane is a good example. He was approached several times under age to play for England but even as a kid he just knew that he was Irish and wanted to play for Ireland.

Rice on the other hand would have had more or less the same upbringing as Kilbane but really only wanted to play for England and thats fine up until the point he used Ireland to increase his profile to get an England call up. Good luck to him I hope he has a great career but he will always be thought of as a snake.

Bamford could've followed the same pattern but was upfront and said he didnt feel Irish and wouldn't take a cap away from another player who wanted to represent Ireland - I think that is the right way to do it.

Its a bit of a cross roads for Ireland now. With u18 bot allowed to sign contract in the UK now we really have to produce more gome grown players which tbf we have been doing in the last few years. Also I would like to see more of our players playing on the continent. British football shouldn't be Ireland's saviour anymore.

We've an excellent U21 side and some very exciting teenagers coming through. Some of the previous crop of 21's are coming into the senior side but need 10 or 20 caps really. The likes of Adam Idha - he scored a lot of goals in the 21's and hopefully he gets a few games at Norwich (been on the bench for each fame so far). He gave Pepe a tough time last week.

and @GoldenToffee

Why should a player not want to play for his country?

The club have had years of needing a right-back and failed to get one in.

It's on them, not Coleman.
He should know his body and realise it's not reliable enough to play for both us and them. His career was nearly destroyed by an injury on international duty, and he's had many niggles due to playing every week for us and then jetting off to represent Ireland - ALL picked up in Ireland games, not our games.

We are the ones who have made him a multi millionaire, he should take a step back now and understand that his time is up and he can't have both ways, show some loyalty to the club that has given him everything.

Obviously it's also disgraceful from the club not to have a good backup to him, but he should have called it a day for Ireland many years ago, I'd say after his broken leg.

His dad was born in England - iirc its both sides of his grandparents are Irish.

Bamford is the same and we tried to get him to play under Martin O'Neill but he was pretty clear he only ever wanted to play for England.
If you're not Irish why would you want to play for Ireland......unless you were so crap that you won't get a call up for your own national team.

So, we know that players who were born in England and have Irish parents or grandparents have a choice about which of them
they want to play for. Right? Where does poaching come into it?

He should know his body and realise it's not reliable enough to play for both us and them. His career was nearly destroyed by an injury on international duty, and he's had many niggles due to playing every week for us and then jetting off to represent Ireland - ALL picked up in Ireland games, not our games.

We are the ones who have made him a multi millionaire, he should take a step back now and understand that his time is up and he can't have both ways, show some loyalty to the club that has given him everything.

Obviously it's also disgraceful from the club not to have a good backup to him, but he should have called it a day for Ireland many years ago, I'd say after his broken leg.

DCL came back from the Euro's with an injury. Does the same logic apply to all players or just one?

If you're not Irish why would you want to play for Ireland......unless you were so crap that you won't get a call up for your own national team.
There's plenty of examples. Diego Costa played for Spain through residency rule. Was he not good enough to play for Brazil?

Its not as black and white as your post. Players sometimes make decisions or advised to make decisions very early and then are committed to that country.

I dunno Its probably better if the parents stay out of it altogether. It should be the players decision. Someone like Kevin Kilbane is a good example. He was approached several times under age to play for England but even as a kid he just knew that he was Irish and wanted to play for Ireland.

Rice on the other hand would have had more or less the same upbringing as Kilbane but really only wanted to play for England and thats fine up until the point he used Ireland to increase his profile to get an England call up. Good luck to him I hope he has a great career but he will always be thought of as a snake.

Bamford could've followed the same pattern but was upfront and said he didnt feel Irish and wouldn't take a cap away from another player who wanted to represent Ireland - I think that is the right way to do it.

Its a bit of a cross roads for Ireland now. With u18 bot allowed to sign contract in the UK now we really have to produce more gome grown players which tbf we have been doing in the last few years. Also I would like to see more of our players playing on the continent. British football shouldn't be Ireland's saviour anymore.

We've an excellent U21 side and some very exciting teenagers coming through. Some of the previous crop of 21's are coming into the senior side but need 10 or 20 caps really. The likes of Adam Idha - he scored a lot of goals in the 21's and hopefully he gets a few games at Norwich (been on the bench for each fame so far). He gave Pepe a tough time last week.
It does all beg the question - over the years - how many great players who were eligible to have played for the RoI. Loads. 10% of the UK population has at least 1 Irish grandparent; 20% of the English population has Irish ancestry.

The current English first team squad are not that ethnically English.

So, we know that players who were born in England and have Irish parents or grandparents have a choice about which of them
they want to play for. Right? Where does poaching come into it?
if they play under age for Ireland as Rice and Grealish did, then someone from the English FA would have had to make contact to get them to switch.

Unfortunately our club captain is a right back and is injury prone and the head of recruitment has decided that a reject who had 1 decent month in Germany and couldn’t hack it in the Scottish league is an adequate back up and if all else fails then just play Godfrey or Holgate out of position for a few games

3 years we have had to sort out this debarcle

3 goddamn years

Did they just assume Coleman was going be like the terminator and wouldn’t pick up any injuries this year?

Players want to play for their country and have every right to do it.

He's the national team captain, of course he wants to try and help his country play in the World Cup. It's what you dream about as a kid when you first play football, I know I did.

It's all on Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.