2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS.

Ive said it before, he knew the score regarding the club’s finances and transfer budget when he came, his huge ego convinced him that he could make a hand of the job, even under those circumstances. He also had the security of knowing he is close to retirement, close to home, on a great wage and will get paid that wage even if he gets sacked.

The club, for their part, want to do something about our appalling finances and feel that bringing Benitez in will be a safe appointment, he may just get a tune out of the squad we have, if he doesn’t he probably won’t relegate us and he will take the flack off the fans for the unpopular decisions the club make.

No victims here apart from the fans. Benitez and the board have both gone into this with their eyes wide open.

I know it is early days, but I am impressed with the passion he is showing, even when 2-0 up and near FT at Brighton, he was still roaring instructions.

Does not seem to me to be going through the motions.

I know it is early days, but I am impressed with the passion he is showing, even when 2-0 up and near FT at Brighton, he was still roaring instructions.

Does not seem to me to be going through the motions.
I didn't say he was going through the motions, if you read the post I said that I think his ego is so big he actually thinks he can make a hand of it. I also said that he has the security of knowing that, should he fail, he will get a massive pay off.

I didn't say he was going through the motions, if you read the post I said that I think his ego is so big he actually thinks he can make a hand of it. I also said that he has the security of knowing that, should he fail, he will get a massive pay off.
Roy

I didn't suggest you did....in fact your post prompted me to reinforce what you were saying.

I was very underwhelmed when his name was first mooted, but I am impressed with what I have seen, albeit very early days.

The Benitez small club comment was him responding to a derby defeat where he said Everton had played like the small clubs who had gone to Anfield that season to grind out a point.

The social media stuiff: it's easy to avoid misinterpretation: just dont comment on club matters outside the obvious celebration of a win or responding to a loss. It's that easy. Let's see if he can manage it.
Dave, I'm actually in a total agreement about this paragraph. If there is one aspect about James that drives me crazy is that he discusses too many things on social media that can lead to misinterpretation. Hopefully he has learned his lesson after all the critique he has received in recent weeks and he learns that somethings is better to keep out of the public eye for your own good.

Posted this in the transfer thread but sort of overlaps with this thread:

I think the reality is after Walsh/Brands waste of money these past few years + pandemic there was always going to come a summer of balancing the books.

We've gotten Bolasie, Walcott, Benard, Besic, Pennington, Baningme off the books with Siggurdson, Tosun, Delph & James to come at the end of this season.

Add in the changes to FFP from profit/loss to salary and luxury tax and I think the manager will be backed next summer.

Its why this season has always been a free hit for me in terms of what we achieve/where we finish. Thats not some love in for Benitez its realism and the acknowledgement of our current limitations and huge job he has on his hands.

I would say in 12-18 months time we'll look a lot heathier both in terms of the clubs finances and the squad's commitment/quality on the field.

Rome wasn't built in a day its why soon as we lose a game or James isn't on the team sheet the fans need to reign it in with the "Benitez oot" nonsense - get who in? Potter who we just humbled? Some bloke from Portugal wet behind the ears?

Its time fans united and got behind the manager im looking forward to the season despite acknowledging we'll likely finish 8th at best.

Initially I was really perplexed why Benitez would subject himself to potential vitriol and jeopardize his legacy for a position that is geographically convenient. But it seems Benitez believes if he can endure the intial turbulence of this season he'll be able a cement his influence into the club. Especially the inept owner lacking any nous when it comes to football, makes it a prime opportunity for him to carve out his own sphere of autonomy and control.

Status
Not open for further replies.