Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any other profession in the world other than sport where other people (fans) think they have a right to tell other people (the players) what they can and cannot post on social media?

I'm not talking about, you know, racism or homophobia here.

I'm on about this entitled view that fans have that they're owed the world.

Same fanbase that had groups of people singing about how they hope Ancelotti dies three days ago.

Is there any other profession in the world other than sport where other people (fans) think they have a right to tell other people (the players) what they can and cannot post on social media?

I'm not talking about, you know, racism or homophobia here.

I'm on about this entitled view that fans have that they're owed the world.

Same fanbase that had groups of people singing about how they hope Ancelotti dies three days ago.

He can post or say whatever he wants on social media (obviously within reason), it's a free country.

I just don't agree with talking about work related issues on social media. I would get in trouble if I did it about my job. He's free to say he won't play Saturday on a Monday if he wants, that's up to him. But I think it's unprofessional.

He played 26 games last year. Played more minutes for us than he has in 4/8 seasons before that. Directly contributed to 15 goals. Created our second-most chances after Gylfi (whose majority came from set-pieces) and most chances from open play.

Was our best passer in terms of both progressive passes and possessional passes (i.e. advancing us with the ball and helping us keep the ball).

All the while at the age of 29, with a dodgy calf, playing his first season in England in a pandemic with no fans.

This revisionism has to stop.

If you're fine to see him go, then sound, it's your opinion and we clearly are in such a bad financial position that we can't afford him (that's on the club, our board and DoF who has not fulfilled a big part of his job as it was set out in 2018), so we could do with his wages off the books.

But he was very effective for us last season when he played.
I dont disagree with all them stats. I like James. I would like him here. Not devastated when he goes. Which he is going. DI was just saying he isn't a hard worker. Doesnt need to be. But Madrid won't be able to rely on him. We squeezed 25 out of him and by his history as you said we were lucky.

He can post or say whatever he wants on social media (obviously within reason), it's a free country.

I just don't agree with talking about work related issues on social media. I would get in trouble if I did it about my job. He's free to say he won't play Saturday on a Monday if he wants, that's up to him. But I think it's unprofessional.

Okay but all he's said is 'never stop believing' (re. this latest post)

I agree with the Twitch stuff but also, the club never give us any information. Getting Benitez to say he was in isolation was like getting blood out of a stone last week. So ffs, at least he's the one giving us some clarity to what's going on and fwiw his message has been consistent all summer - he doesn't know what's happening.

I agree with the Twitch stuff but also, the club never give us any information. Getting Benitez to say he was in isolation was like getting blood out of a stone last week. So ffs, at least he's the one giving us some clarity to what's going on and fwiw his message has been consistent all summer - he doesn't know what's happening.
Yeah he’s not said anything outrageous there from what I can see. Could be a reference to Atleti or could just be a turn of phrase.

I don’t particularly care, but all the Twitch stuff is getting pretty old.

Lots of managers don't like to discuss availability pre-match or try to avoid giving clues to opponents. It's nothing new at all.

It looks to me like he wants to leave, and if he does, I have no problem with that. I assumed he would be off the minute Ancelotti left.

Yeah he’s not said anything outrageous there from what I can see. Could be a reference to Atleti or could just be a turn of phrase.

I don’t particularly care, but all the Twitch stuff is getting pretty old.

He gets asked stuff and just answers it really. I'm sure the situation all summer has been as I initially thought. Mendes will always be striking deals, looking at options. James will say yay or nay. The club, Everton, need his wages off the books if possible because we're in a crap financial position - but that's not on James, that's on us.

He gets asked stuff and just answers it really. I'm sure the situation all summer has been as I initially thought. Mendes will always be striking deals, looking at options. James will say yay or nay. The club, Everton, need his wages off the books if possible because we're in a crap financial position - but that's not on James, that's on us.
I think he probably wants out and we probably want rid to recoup some wages/fee. Don’t blame him for answering questions but it does become a circus when everything he says appears in the media. The modern world I guess.

Getting Benitez to say he was in isolation was like getting blood out of a stone last week.
I suspect that's because it wasn't true. Benitez was trying to talk in generalities about players having to isolate if they'd been in contact with an infected person in the hope that he wouldn't have to say "James is isolating," in such direct (and probably untrue) terms.

We’ve shifted a lot of wages this summer. Ok he’s probably on another 7/8 mil. But how much do we have to get rid of?

I suspect that's because it wasn't true. Benitez was trying to talk in generalities about players having to isolate if they'd been in contact with an infected person in the hope that he wouldn't have to say "James is isolating," in such direct (and probably untrue) terms.

Well James has gone along with it then (I admit it's not out of the realms of possibility) as on Friday - after Benitez's presser - he was asked and said yeah he had to do another 8 days.

I assume there must be guidelines in the player contracts about what they can say in print / social media. That is why you usually hear about things 3rd-hand - e.g. 'Vlasic sister said ...'.

If it is a technical certainty that he won't play against Leeds then perhaps it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.