2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, Mick has never had the minerals or mentality to be a top class CB. Godfrey and Mina are mikes ahead of this fella as first choice CB pairing.

Branthwaite and any other youth CB should also move ahead of him in the pecking order.

Keane still should be picked ahead of holgate though - he was and has been crap for ages, and as much at fault for the cock up as Keane, by giving him zero options.

They both made Armstrong look like prime Harry Kane.
Mina is too slow for this league. He's a great competitor and an asset in the opposition box, but I have zero faith in him up against pace.

Godfrey is certainly one for the position and with time can be a very good CB. But I think CB is every bit the problem area that RB is. It's gone under the radar because of the number of CB we have, but none of them are good enough apart Godfrey - who is still learning that position at PL level.

If you buy a centre half from Burnley, you get a Burnley centre half. He is very good defending deep where his man can’t turn him and leave him for dead, if, however, he tries to push up his lack of pace and slowness on the turn will always catch him out, also, if he is put in a position where he needs to think, he will often make the wrong decision.

He is good when he is defending in a low block system and when defending instinctively. He is not so good in any other system. He suited Ancelotti’s system well, I am not sure about Benitez’ system as he will probably not defend as deep as Ancelotti did.

Way over the top there, if you were talking about Holgate, I’d agree
Why is Holgate getting pelters for Keane being absolute garbage yet again?

It's really weird.

I also keep reading stuff about Keane being fine defending deep and not when we need to pass out from the back, Keane is actually good on the ball for a centre back, his problem is he is obviously a bit thick because he keeps the ball in places where he is going to lose it. He had plenty of time to get rid of the ball yesterday but instead he decided to do a dummy pass and then even worse tried to jib the responsibility off onto Holgate.

Think he will only get worse with fans being back.
Covid gave us a pretty unique opportunity to see what effect crowds really have on players - and there was no starker contrast than with Keane. I thought he was excellent from the moment football restarted. He played his best football for Everton when there were no crowds in the stadia.

But we’re not playing matches in a vacuum anymore, and he absolutely must learn to block the criticism out - because the Goodison crowd are going to cut him no slack.

I like the guy, and I know he’s been honest about mental health struggles. But the reality of football is that the terraces can be hostile, and I can’t see that changing anytime soon.

Untitled.jpg

He only had 5 options available to him, he's kin crap.

View attachment 136103

He only had 5 options available to him, he's kin crap.
7 as the two obvious ones are missing, a simple ball back to Pickford or over the top of Djenepo where another of our players was open (Townsend I think).

He has made the same mistake in two consecutive games now under two different managers. Obviously it's an issue with him rather than a formation or style of play etc.

Reactions: JMT

Status
Not open for further replies.