2020/21 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes

Yes thanks… Do you?

Not sure what point you’re trying to make with this question. Unless you’re suggesting that the role of DOF is simply to pander to the requests of a manager for specific players. The point I’m making is that the role of DOF is to have overall responsibility for the playing squad. Yes the manager must agree to signings. But a DOF is responsible for implementing a footballing philosophy and identifying players to fit that structure. He is responsible for structuring transfers both in and out of the club.

Brands’ record is pretty poor on both accounts but this is probably a discussion for the Brands thread.

My point which I stand by is that Allan has been another poor recruit, under the reign of our current DOF.
My point is that you seem to think we should accept your knowledge of the role of the DOF over professionals,

Based on what experiences other than being a fan are you basing your assertions that you know what the DOF role is?

My point is that you seem to think we should accept your knowledge of the role of the DOF over professionals,

Based on what experiences other than being a fan are you basing your assertions that you know what the DOF role is?

@sc1878 has detailed the basic role of a DOF which is generally accepted at most other clubs.

Its clear and obvious that Everton arent following the DOF model and aside from the title there is little similarity between our DOF and other clubs'.

A fan can tell you that from simply reading about DOFs at other clubs and watching videos on youtube where the role is explained.

What are you actually talking about??

I’ve answered your question regarding what the role of DOF (or sporting director) is supposed to entail. I’m not asking you to accept anything, I’ve simply answered your question. As Brands clearly isn’t fulfilling the role at Everton, you’re choosing to pick an argument.

As I’ve previously stated, this is more suited to the Brands thread. I was merely giving my opinion on Allan which you clearly disagree with and that’s fine. Every supporter is entitled to their opinion on players and the club and mine is that Allan is too slow for the PL, particularly the role he’s being asked to play. He’s not got the legs or discipline of a Gana, Makalele, Keane, Vieira, Kante or even a Carsley.

What are you actually talking about??

I’ve answered your question regarding what the role of DOF (or sporting director) is supposed to entail. I’m not asking you to accept anything, I’ve simply answered your question. As Brands clearly isn’t fulfilling the role at Everton, you’re choosing to pick an argument.

As I’ve previously stated, this is more suited to the Brands thread. I was merely giving my opinion on Allan which you clearly disagree with and that’s fine. Every supporter is entitled to their opinion on players and the club and mine is that Allan is too slow for the PL, particularly the role he’s being asked to play. He’s not got the legs or discipline of a Gana, Makalele, Keane, Vieira, Kante or even a Carsley.

Hes basically a centre mid being asked to play as defensive mid.

It reminds me of when Madrid signed Gravesen.

We have seen time and time again that a central midfield pair of Allan and Doucoure does not work.

At the start of last season Gomes was there with them when we were winning games.

…I think it’s lots to do with getting the blend right, it’s what Benitez gets paid lots of money for.

Allan could be fine in the right set-up.

When is the last time he had a good game for us?
He was by a country mile the man of the match up to the point he got that bad hamstring injury against Leicester. He didn’t seem to get back to anywhere near those levels when he returned.

If you go back in this thread to the point before the injury a lot of people were calling him our best player and saying he should be captain.

…I think it’s lots to do with getting the blend right, it’s what Benitez gets paid lots of money for.

Allan could be fine in the right set-up.

We desperately need a Gana signing. Every club like us that doesn't dominate possession needs that energetic type who buzzes around the pitch winning the ball.

Its criminal Brands still hasn't replaced him adequately enough.

He even made a few runs last year where you could see he could clearly carry the ball. Get him either side of a deeper mid in a 4-3-3 with Doucouré and maybe it would work? Just not sure we’d have enough creativity unless we signed a right-footed Digne.

just hate him as the deepest mid. Not sure how I feel with him in a 2-man midfield either.
Said it when we were linked with Khedira. Allan needs to be higher up the field. He can carry the ball and can run around and win the ball back higher up the pitch. At times his aggressiveness can leave him exposed in defensive midfield. If Gbamin can get back to some level he was before his injury, him behind Doucoure and Allan could work but as you say you then need the full backs contributing heavily (look at the RS midfield when they won the title. All runners. Full backs contributed from both flanks though).

Status
Not open for further replies.