Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equally though, you can't have a manager come in and not allow them any input on what their team should be.

Any big transfers will continue to be Brands - as it has been since he's been on the board. As he demonstrated with Godfrey and Doucoure to a manager of significantly greater profile than Benitez.
Isn’t that part of the role a manager/head coach knows before he signs the contract that he’s working under a DoF?
My point is if managers can walk through the door and say I want this and that player then what’s the point of the DoF? Surely in the likes of Brands case he’s just a contract negotiator.

I've copied this statement from a post made by GrandOldTeam earlier. I'm not sure who actually made it or even when it was made, but it is clearly a "club" statement.

This is exactly what I was expecting when Brands was appointed and I think it's fair to say that none of this has actually happened. I don't believe this is Brands fault. I think he's come up against a club that was reluctant to change with an owner who continually picks managers who won't fit into that system.

It was the clubs CEO when he was appointed to the board in 2019;

She said: "We were thrilled to appoint Marcel this summer and he is now responsible and accountable for delivering the long-term, holistic, football strategy and principles from Academy through to first-team.

"Marcel has begun his work delivering the club's long-term permanent football strategy, working closely with Academy director Joel Waldron and head of football strategy Richard Battle.

I've seen nothing since that date in 2019, that suggests to me that Brands doesn't have the autonomy to do his job. Sure, players have come in who are clearly manager driven but that's the game. Brands would be a fool to not consult with managers, and indeed - his considerable scouting setup/network/departments. All that matters is continuity and that he has the overriding long term strategy and ensuring no big transfers come in that don't fit that plan.

The issue isn't the model, it works across world football. The issue is whether he's good enough.

What's wrong with a manager, who a DOF works to appoint, having input into transfers?

The uncertainty is from fans.

Is there any football club in the top flight who don't operate with a DOF model?

Can you name any? I can't...

All DOF models are collaborative.

All DOF, and managers will say they won't bring a player in without joint approval.

And I think it is.

The DOF has a manager with views, just like he has an entire scouting department with views.

The collaborative approach doesn't work when you have 5 managers in 5 years. Does anyone seriously expect Benitez to be here in 2 years time?

If Brands is the one who is going to be here for the long haul then he's the only one that matters. If he has had full say in everything we've done in the market since he arrived, then his performance has been extremely poor. But I think it's fair that fans believe there is uncertainty, because I don't think the chains of command have been clear at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.