2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is FFP has left the club in the position of either gambling on a mid-range price signing whose had some buzz in the preceding years and may just be at the wrong club or an opportune situationat the time of signing i.e. Gomes, Mina, Iwobi, Gueye, Bernard, Rodriguez or playing moneyball with stat based signings i.e Klaasen, Sigurdsson, Richarlison when we do splurge.

This means gambling on talent rather than signing sure-fire hits for 50-70 million three times a window consistently over five years which would have seen us get a level of success that increases our profile and sponsorship revenue.

Blocking speculation in view of accumulation is absolutely anti-competitive and causing the club more financial troubles than splurging on world class talent consistently ever would.

Other teams have managed it. We've just been crap.

Not surprising if true. Benitez is a counter attacking coach, James wouldn't be the best fit as he's not great defensively and doesn't have lots of pace. Club is also removing a rumored big earner off the books.

Even if we don’t want to, we can all see the logic in this. If a club like Everton are going to pay a guy this kind of salary then we would want to be building the team around him. This is not possible with a player that plays only half of the season, if that.

I think its a mix of James wants out now Carlo has gone & Benitez isn't sold on James from past experiences.

I dont think Brands/the club would have the guts to actively get rid of Rodriguez in all honesty mate.

If James goes the Anti Benitez crowd will be made up regardless of the reasons but the problem is they have set their stall out too early, blown their load prematurely, shown their hand too soon.

If the club does well this coming season and the squad put together has fight and togetherness then there will be a lot of people looking very stupid with the carry on made of recent weeks - they are back tracking over Demari Gray being the worst player in the world already after just 2 pre season games lol

Don't think there's anything to it like that.

Rafael is a cold manager. James doesn't really like that style. That's all.

The idea of "being wanted" is purely down to having a manager put an arm round him rather than treat them like everyone else. It's well known he needs that kinda of loving style which he's not going to get now

Not surprising if true. Benitez is a counter attacking coach, James wouldn't be the best fit as he's not great defensively and doesn't have lots of pace. Club is also removing a rumored big earner off the books.
I don't think James ever was deemed a pace merchant but I do think that his speed of thought makes up for that perceived deficit. Im an old school Blue who loves seeing him in the team with the prospect of him making sublime passes that other players never would... even if they could. Im not interested in his defensive ability to be honest.....and I'm also sick of journeymen players wearing the shirt as well. Regarding his wages, Ive said recently on here that hes on £90k a week ....whilst Mr Dependability Fabian Delph is on £80k. Remains to seen what if etc regards whether he wants to stay....and whether the management wants him to stay.

Even if we don’t want to, we can all see the logic in this. If a club like Everton are going to pay a guy this kind of salary then we would want to be building the team around him. This is not possible with a player that plays only half of the season, if that.
James-90k pw

Mina-120k
Gomes-112k
Gylfi-100k
Delph-80k
Tosun-60k
Iwobi-50k

I don’t think his wage is our biggest problem

If he stays it would only be for a season, then you would be ripping up what you had done up to that point.

I honestly can't see the logic in getting rid of him when there is no sign of anyone else coming in who is going to be better. Isn't that the whole point on recruitment sell someone and replace to improve.

It all seems pretty backwards at the moment and in no way a look at getting into European football next season.

7milkion a year according to this https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ma...ague/2021/07/16/60f197a846163fee248b4617.html

and this

Which is about 135k a week - like we can afford to have a player on that wage missing half the season with injury.

James
Gomes
Iwobi
Siggurdsson
Delph

They are the 5 we need legging over the coming 12-18 months.

Last edited:
009D71C2-2A1F-440D-9A10-3A655C1E3B8E.jpeg

I think its a mix of James wants out now Carlo has gone & Benitez isn't sold on James from past experiences.

If James goes the Anti Benitez crowd will be made up regardless of the reasons but the problem is they have set their stall out too early, blown their load prematurely, shown their hand too soon.
State of this.

Only an idiot would be "made up" in this scenario.
Under any circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.