Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the addition of gray and Townsend doesn't fill me with confidence i can understand why they're being brought in costing very little and doing the same jobs as hopefully two players that are on mega wages. Lets face it can they actually be any worse than bernard and iwobi? I'd say it was impossible to be worse.
Iwobi isn't leaving. No rumours, whatsoever. He'll be here until his contract expires. He'll get loads of minutes next season.

The club has lost 300m in the last 2 years, plus another 90million due to covid.

A year off from spending would be quite prudent IMO.

Moshiri wasnt gonna keep loaning us 200m a season.

And other managers might kick off. They might either want the next big project shiny thing, or big name players (which both cost lots of money). Strangely, Benitez is a bit of an oddball, and is probably quite content with these players. At Liverpool he signed some right dross, but sort of organised them into a cohesive and effective unit. This is what I expected from Benitez, and it's why I didn't want him. But I can also see why the clubs leadership were probably quite on board with him.

I still think if a big player goes out we will spend heavily, but these lads will be squad players to allow us to clear some of the higher earners out without having the pressure to get fees for them.

Townsend i could have understood with Bernard going / maybe a back up for James when he is out injured. But why Gray as well ? Unless we don't know something about Iwobi going, but why bring mediocre in when we still got mediocre in our squad.

Well our ambitions will be to improve on 59 points, which is normally top 7. If he's that bad, he just won't play.

However we have had James play with Jonjo Kenny last season. In the last 5 years I've watched Martina, Williams, Niasse. I'm old enough to have seen Brett Angel, Claus Thomson, Hottiger, Tony Thomas (to be honest that 98 team was hideous and Gareth Farrelly aside from that goal was awful). I've seen poor players. From the bits I've seen of Townsend he is better than that.

Should we be signing better? Yes Probably. Is he going to decline at 30? Yes probably. I just can't get that worked up though, that Townsend, on a 2 year deal, on probably 40-50k p/w is that bad. Obviously everyone has a different view though.
Reportedly was on £80,000 a week at palace cannot imagine he would drop that much on wages

You can only really judge a transfer window when it closes.

We'll still make one or two promising signings I think but clearly need to shift out one or two as well.

Austerity always works out great. Benitez, Begovic, Townsend and Gray. Nothing will ever be the same, apparently. Feels very similar to the Moyes era to me.

Gimme the Moyes era over the last 5-6 years.

But I agree, these aren't exciting signings and not what I was expecting. Maybe we're having trouble shifting the lads on big wages?

Or maybe the money has all been tied up with the stadium and ffp.

Who knows.

Tbf we do need some cheaper squad players as well as better first teamers.
Like if we're adding Townsend and Gray and shifting Bernard and it's cheaper then I can see why we're doing it. More options for less money.

Issue is it's improving depth without improving quality really.

And other managers might kick off. They might either want the next big project shiny thing, or big name players (which both cost lots of money). Strangely, Benitez is a bit of an oddball, and is probably quite content with these players. At Liverpool he signed some right dross, but sort of organised them into a cohesive and effective unit. This is what I expected from Benitez, and it's why I didn't want him. But I can also see why the clubs leadership were probably quite on board with him.

I still think if a big player goes out we will spend heavily, but these lads will be squad players to allow us to clear some of the higher earners out without having the pressure to get fees for them.
If he was told that we need 12months of prudence which allows us more wiggle room in June 2022 then coupled with his 8m a year wages and free tunnel tag I doubt he would mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.