Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this makes sense if its a backup keeper plus an experienced head like Townsend as backup to a new right sided starter.

When Gray gets mentioned though...thats where i start to switch off...

In and out ? Started 25 league games and 9more as sub.

Olsen for £5mil+ or Begovic for free on lower wages? I dont think Olsen is even average and Begovic used to be good a few years back

Townsend as backup for half price of Bernard...we could sell Iwobi as well if we brought him in.

Gray though is where i draw the line and start wondering whats going on.

I mean I haven't seen that much of Gray, but the bits I've had show he has pace and carries it well, but is still very raw. 1.5m seems a steal for him.

In what way does it devalue the group mate? Is he gash? I'm not sure. He seems pretty average to me. I can understand why people would want better than average, but we have paid an awful lot of money for average previously.
He is gash. He reduces the collective quality of the squad. Ridiculous signing for a team whose ambitions appear to be sneaking into the top 10 with a bit of luck. How can you have James Rodriguez playing in the same side as Andros Townsend. Come on.

If any other club were trying to sign Townsend,Gray and Begovic we would be laughing at them, no doubt we will get some shouting but remember signing Cahill, Reid etc, it's no comparison, we are signing more deadwood,soon have enough to do a Forest Green and build an all wooden stand

Gray never really developed from the player we bought in 2016, does have skill and pace, but hardly any footballing brain

We offered him a new deal and he was told he would be a squad player, he turned it down and we sold him to Leverkusen for cheap

Two more players that don’t score goals. If Bambi has one of his dry spells then we are in big trouble next season.

Yes for Townsend with free and only 2 years contract. He would be suitable for us.
But I dont understand Gray?? Why we can sign him for just 1.5m? He just signed the contract for about 6months and his club is willing to sell him with a loss.

No of course.

I think we are waiting for a big sale, but we know we need more pace into the team in wide areas. So we have solved the problem, bulked the squad up (if true) and given ourselves a fair bit of leeway to move players on. That works for me. It's good planning. If someone comes in with a big bid for Kean, or Richarlison/DCL that is too good to turn down, we can move them on, and bring in 1 or 2 eye catching players.

As I said earlier, it reminds me of when we signed Bent and Cahill. They could do a job. I know people don't want "do a job" and expectations have been raised, but the last 5 years of trying to act like City hasn't worked. I'd rather we signed 3 or 4 decent players each summer, added younger players too and if we get to a point where an exceptional player can come, we will have the financial means to do so.

That Gray guy is no worse than Iwobi. But we have been smart in what we would need to pay.
yes, RB is hedging his bets. So if the big bids dont come in, he has at least freshened up the squad. One thing, looks to be clear, we wont be spending much if there are no outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.