Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he absolutely does. But, from his perspective, if he is going to run into trouble or be sacked for poor recruitment, he'd prefer to be making the signings himself and not Marcel Brands. In other words, he'll prefer to live or die by his own decisions.

Its another reason why this appointment may not fit, i agree he is dictatorial and likes to get his own way. How that fits into our current structure, if we can call it that is difficult to see.

Its hard to see what the point of either Brands or Benitiez is if all they are doing are competing against each others needs. We've had this before with Koeman and Walsh and its either carnage that leads to inertia in decision making in the market or everyone gets a bit of something with no discernible cohesive strategy with a hocth potch squad lacking cohesiveness.

If we bring Townsend in and another club signs Pereira I will personally poop in an envelope and send it by recorded delivery to the FSW.

I actually think Begovic and Townsend on £50-60k a week as backup players makes sense.

2 year deals for free and relatively low wages for a couple of average players.

If we can move Iwobi, Bernard and Sigurdsson on for fees then we could put all of the funds into a top new player.

Yes, this is my analysis too. People need to accept that a large swathe of the fanbase is effectively "Switzerland" when it comes to Benitez. They simply want a successful side. These neutrals are pretty silent and non-committal about him either way. These people will break one way or the other when it becomes clear what direction this train is traveling. If Benitez is not backed in the summer in any meaningful way, moderate reasonable people will begin to lower their expectations, such as they already are. You don't have to like a manager to know that he is being blackguarded. It kept David Moyes in a job for a decade.

That said, I still think he'll be backed. If he is, that will be the most perilous time for him. Given Marcel Brands's record, I could see Benitez trying to force Brands out of any key decisions for fear of any more Iwobi-type signings. There's big scope for major friction this summer.

Drip

Drip

Drip

Its another reason why this appointment may not fit, i agree he is dictatorial and likes to get his own way. How that fits into our current structure, if we can call it that is difficult to see.

Its hard to see what the point of either Brands or Benitiez is if all they are doing are competing against each others needs. We've had this before with Koeman and Walsh and its either carnage that leads to inertia in decision making in the market or everyone gets a bit of something with no discernible cohesive strategy with a hocth potch squad lacking cohesiveness.
Yes. At this point, the evidence suggests that Brands is an empty suit. His body of work at Everton to date doesn't, in my view, justify his continued employment. But he's a director now, so the dysfunction at the club starts right at the top.

I actually think Begovic and Townsend on £50-60k a week as backup players makes sense.

2 year deals for free and relatively low wages for a couple of average players.

If we can move Iwobi, Bernard and Sigurdsson on for fees then we could put all of the funds into a top new player.

Drip

Drip

Drip

No mate, whateevr about Begovic who is a decent keeper, Townsend shouldn't even be given a comp ticket for one of our games.

If you have serious ambitions to compete for CL place, you cant look at your bench and see Townsend as a viable option to come on and influence a game. Is there another club who we viably want to compete with who would see him as a legitimate option, no. That tells us all we need know.

The case against Benitez will be weakened by any lack of funds coming his way in the summer.

I'm really not arsed if he's here or not. I dont have an axe to grind. But my expectations of his first season target would drop from 6th to 8th if he is well backed to midtable if he isn't.

The board, more importantly, would cut him a lot of slack too.

Common sense.

Those wanting Benitez out should be hoping he's allowed to spend as much as his predecessors or they'll never get their wish in the coming 12 to 18 months.
Not a lover of his tactics but in fairness to Carlo he wasn't given a lot to spend and he also spent wisely IMO. The real damage was done under previous managers.

3 players in key positions will give us a team to challenge. We've also lost a lot of deadwood over the last 2 years but still a few more to go. The player situation is probably as good as it's been since Martinez first season.)

Status
Not open for further replies.