2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ings wasn't a young lad though. I suspect we are looking at around a 20% sell on, with a relatively small fee (3-4m).
That's sort of the point I'm making Catcher. He was 21, on a pro contract and quite experienced, rather than a 16 yo scholar. I'd have thought the compensation would be much higher in those circumstances.

I mean Liverpool sold him for £20m a couple of years later and it would have been more had it not been for the 2 ACL injuries

People are definitely under estimating him a bit. He's rated as being one of the 3 to 5 best players his age in the country. So Chelsea won't have 7 or 8 of those.

Across the age groups of under to say under 21 Chelsea will have 7 or 8 of the best young players in the country mate. Or equivalent talents to Small. At under 18 level, they are City are streets ahead of the rest on paper, but they don't really bring them through very well.

That's sort of the point I'm making Catcher. He was 21, on a pro contract and quite experienced, rather than a 16 yo scholar. I'd have thought the compensation would be much higher in those circumstances.

I mean Liverpool sold him for £20m a couple of years later and it would have been more had it not been for the 2 ACL injuries

Ings was about 23 wasn't he? I think Burnley got around 8-10m and a sell on from memory.

Fulham got I think 7 or 8 for Elliot with a 25% sell on. They wanted over 20m for him. It's obviously difficult to predict where it will sit.

There are other examples such as Lamptey who left even though Chelsea wanted to keep him. Lampteys dad was keen to move him when he realised what Brighton were offering.

I think the best thing is to leave on a full time basis though like Lamptey. Whereas say a Victor Moses has just wasted his career really being farmed out on loan.

….I’m really not bothered by this.

If he goes, it will be disappointing. It's one to question for Brands as you never want to lose young players. At the same time we acquired Nkounkou last season, same position, same sort of player, arguably a better player.

When I've watched the 18's (albeit on streams over the last 18 months) the stand-out to me was Reece Welch. Small had some outstanding attributes but Welch looks the more rounded footballer at present. That doesn't mean if you sharpen Smalls edges there's not a better player in there, but at present that's my take. I put Small alongside Onyango, probably a bit ahead, but not much, as they had certain features that made them quite unique. Small is very powerful and quick, Onyango is huge and is probably going to end up around 6 ft 5 playing in central midfield.

The other lad Dobbin always looked a lot more natural to me than Small, but had a few injuries, but I'm delighted to see him having a bit of a go with the 1st team and scoring goals for the 23s last game. There are 1 or two others in that age group too, Whittaker has done very well and I know Isaac Price has made a good impression. Neither of them have the physical attributes at this point of the others.

It sounds like they were willing to give Small a chance to train with the 1st team, so it's a shame he's turned his back on that if he were to leave. But we have other good players. To me it's not an age group like with Barkley, Rodwell or Rooney where 1 player stood out, but more like the Davies one, where probably half a dozen lads looked good.

I hope he stays, but if not we have to go again.

….or Moses has been very clever & become a very wealthy man.

Yes he's become a very wealthy man, and that's the trade off really isn't it?

I put in the thread earlier, I'm sure Small will become a very wealthy man from this deal. There will likely be a hefty sign on fee and decent wages. It's very hard to turn that sort of offer down, especially as the figures involved probably mean he won't have to work again from this contract alone.

However from a football perspective, I can't help but think Moses will feel he wasted a career. What you value is up to the individual. I have no issue with Small leaving, but I can't have it that going to Arsenal is going to give him more 1st team chances than here if he was good enough.

Who are the 3 at chelsea?
football.london understands Chelsea academy stars Tino Livramento, Lewis Bate and Myles Peart-Harris all trained with the club's Under-16s yesterday as the impasse over their respective contract renewals continues.

The Blues have offered the trio – whose current deals expire next summer – fresh terms but none agreed to sign, with interest mounting in their services at home and abroad.

There was an expectation that Livramento and Bate, in particular, would be involved with the makeshift first-team squad that began pre-season training at the start of the week.

Id take Livramento in a flash but doubt we’d get him if he does leave.

£1.2m, plus an additional £3.1m in add-ons and a 20% sell-on clause.

On that basis, I would expect Smalls to go for £1m plus £2-2.5m in add-ons and a 20% sell on.

To be honest that's more than we get for the majority of our academy players, including many that were as standout at 16 as this lad is.

Status
Not open for further replies.