Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for comparison btw, how many players have Everton signed over £30 million? Two I think (Gylfi and Richi).

City, Chelsea and Utd all have signed around 20, with Liverpool not far behind and Arsenal at least 10.

Just for comparison btw, how many players have Everton signed over £30 million? Two I think (Gylfi and Richi).

City, Chelsea and Utd all have signed around 20, with Liverpool not far behind and Arsenal at least 10.

Isn't that even worse than considering how much we've spent in total over 5 years?

We've bought a lot in the £25-29m range.

That’s because we haven’t in the past reinvested money properly. We sold Stones Lukaku and Barkley and botched every single replacement. Compare that to Atletico or Dortmund who constantly sell their top players but have a conveyor belt of talent replacing it. Torres to Forlan to Falcao to Aguero to Costa to Griezman to Felix. Players sold at their peak and then reinvested in the right replacement. We sold Stones and wasted the money on Michael Keane and Ashley Williams. Barkley was sold and Siggurdson Klaasen Rooney replaced him. Lukaku wasn’t replaced and then we panicked on Tosun. Gueye was sold and Gbamin injured immediately. That’s why we panic about selling top players because we don’t replace them properly and we get worse. The answer isn’t to stop selling players at the right time though, the answer is to improve the recruitment process for their replacements.

This is a really key point. We have got to get better at spending money and replacing people.

A bit part of our problem is we don't buy and sell enough. People are also too terrified to sell as they don't trust Brands, and he does need to start earning some trust.

We probably need to review how we spend money too. I have seen we are linked with that Kamara. Will probably cost 5 or 6 million and is 25. To me it's a really smart signing. Benitez will probably ring Gerrard and get a low down on him. When I've seen him, he reminds me a lot of what Doucoure does well. Maybe not quite as polished, but will fill in for Doucoure when needed and in some games can probably play with him. He's also the sort that if he comes in and does well, in 12-18 months someone will come in and give you 15-20m for him so you turn a profit.

Isn't that even worse than considering how much we've spent in total over 5 years?

We've bought a lot in the £25-29m range.
The problem is they've all been crap not that we haven't spent. Straight off the top of my head Bolasie, Iwobi, Klaassen, Kean contributed absolutely nothing to the club whilst being over 100m combined

Not sure it's just taken off that website. Zat used it as an indicator he hasn't backed us to compete but we're spending more per season than 17 other teams so he is to me.

Fair enough mate, I think it's measuring net spend, and another site (transfermarkt) has us 5th. I mean it is backing to a degree, but we were 11th at the time. I would have probably expected us to be in the top 6 by now, but we are not miles off.

The problem is they've all been crap not that we haven't spent. Straight off the top of my head Bolasie, Iwobi, Klaassen, Kean contributed absolutely nothing to the club whilst being over 100m combined

Yeh that's the point. He's backed us with enough money to assemble a decent side but we haven't spent it right.

It's not like we're getting to the end of the window and we've spent £5m. Even last Summer with COVID he gave us more than £60m to spend on players.

This is a really key point. We have got to get better at spending money and replacing people.

A bit part of our problem is we don't buy and sell enough. People are also too terrified to sell as they don't trust Brands, and he does need to start earning some trust.

We probably need to review how we spend money too. I have seen we are linked with that Kamara. Will probably cost 5 or 6 million and is 25. To me it's a really smart signing. Benitez will probably ring Gerrard and get a low down on him. When I've seen him, he reminds me a lot of what Doucoure does well. Maybe not quite as polished, but will fill in for Doucoure when needed and in some games can probably play with him. He's also the sort that if he comes in and does well, in 12-18 months someone will come in and give you 15-20m for him so you turn a profit.
I think the Gbamin signing killed Brands for this. Everyone was on board with selling Gueye for his peak and reinvesting in a younger version. Gbamin being out 2 years killed any confidence in replacing our top players
Yeh that's the point. He's backed us with enough money to assemble a decent side but we haven't spent it right.

It's not like we're getting to the end of the window and we've spent £5m. Even last Summer with COVID he gave us more than £60m to spend on players.
Yeah even the net spend argument of we sold Lukaku for 90 million doesn't really hold much weight. Hardly the owners fault Walsh and Koeman spent it 75 million of it on number 10s and only 5 million on a centre forward. Granted Moshiri hired them to make a mess of things but he has still reinvested

I think

Yeah even the net spend argument of we sold Lukaku for 90 million doesn't really hold much weight. Hardly the owners fault Walsh and Koeman spent it 75 million of it on number 10s and only 5 million on a centre forward. Granted Moshiri hired them to make a mess of things but he has still reinvested

We've spent ~£530m since Moshiri arrived. If we can't assemble a decent XI from ~£530m then we need to start using Football Manager more.

Status
Not open for further replies.