Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the dust settled many have already softened towards the appointment of Rafael, invariably because people have calmed, listened and reviewed the situation of what everton had available or needed at present.

Too many comments, pods and radio phone ins are running with information that has no source or credence. A few myths around the appointment:

Marcel Brands a board member had no say on the appointment of Benitez. Massive untruth of course he had a say as a member of the board, OK he may have gone another way if it was his choice but being a director of football doesn't necessarily mean that person is given complete control of hiring/firing that would in fact be impossible in modern football.

He got the job because he lives on the Wirral. Nothing to do with where he lives a point can be made that he's done good work in around Merseyside but this doesn't mean he was picked because of where he lives, its a nicety nothing more.

Benitez football is horrible. I'd say this is wrong the vast majority of football managers that are successful do prioritise a solid defence but Rafael has shown a versatility depending on the tools available. Rafael's Valencia side were great to watch more recently when Rafael led NUFC in division 2 they played great football as he had fantastic players at that level when they got promoted and lost a number of players Wijnaldum, Sisssoko etc he had to adopt a more defensive style of play as his side were lacking quality and had the objective of staying up.

He did crap in China. It was reported Rafael was barely allowed in China or even at facilities or matches due to the start of the corona virus pandemic the thing was a write off from the start.

Everton is a payday no more. From all the things you hear about benitez the thought that he took the job because he's on the dole is quite simply crazy, there's no doubt Benitez could have commanded a big wage in Europe without any trouble and probably a lot less stress to go with it.

Benitez should be assessed on his performance as manager of Everton with the squad he's given by Marcel Brands. We love the old players like Unsy, Dunc etc but isn't it time they stopped taking the cushy wage and actually went away to prove themselves or are they happy to remain the ever present members of the recent failure at Everton Football Club?

Up the toffees and full goodison!!!!!
Great post.

Again so he should it’s his job , I don’t understand your point ? You want him to get credit for not rolling over against the RS by the way it’s not Liverpool it’s the RS .

that said my point was he can’t pretend to be anything other than what he is because the fanbase won’t buy it , that doesn’t mean he can’t win matches and change opinions because he maybe can but he’s a RS and I suspect he always will be .
If he was RS surely he would let them win the league in a dead rubber match for Newcastle?!

If you were a manager of a club who was safe from relegation and Everton were playing you and it was either Everton or Man City to win the league.. .. would you try and win and stop Everton???

Of course you wouldn't. You would pick a formation that played into Everton's hands ......

Doesn't fit your agenda this does it.

Supporting the vast majority of football clubs is expensive, time consuming and without any guarantee of entertainment let alone success.

Stick a faux hardman with form for insults as manager into the mix, and it's hardly a cause for wonder that some supporters show extreme disdain and refuse to join the love - in for Benitez.

I can (and will) suspend my support for the club till he's gone. Others will continue their form of support, whatever it is, and good luck to them - it's none of my business.

So he couldn’t get a job anywhere in the world but China ? He’s that crap a manager , thought he was boss . Try not to lose your temper it’s unbecoming
He wanted a job and got offered more money than any manager in world football. ........ What did you expect him to do? Haha,. You are that entranced in your hatred of him that you expect a jobless manager to knock back £250k a week.

Oh dear.

If he was RS surely he would let them win the league in a dead rubber match for Newcastle?!

If you were a manager of a club who was safe from relegation and Everton were playing you and it was either Everton or Man City to win the league.. .. would you try and win and stop Everton???

Of course you wouldn't. You would pick a formation that played into Everton's hands ......

Doesn't fit your agenda this does it.
No I wouldn’t I’d do the job I was paid for , every time and the fact you think he should be praised for not rolling over kettles my head .

look we’re not going to agree and There is no point in us clogging up a thread . I don’t have any agenda other than wanting Everton to win every game and I’m sure this season at least you’ll want the same so let’s leave it there .

He wanted a job and got offered more money than any manager in world football. ........ What did you expect him to do? Haha,. You are that entranced in your hatred of him that you expect a jobless manager to knock back £250k a week.

Oh dear.
I don’t hate him not even close , I think by all accounts he’s very possibly a decent fella .I could certainly argue as you said he went for the money , then he didn’t , he’s in demand but also jobless but I’ve said I leave it so let’s

He should work his plums off it’s his job , you want him praised for working hard ? I thought you’ve been telling us all he’s a ridiculously dedicated worker so why set out how hard he worked there ? He went for the money , he didn’t take a job at the top table in football to test himself or to pursue ambition he went for an easy ride and a load of dough . That’s fine but done be surprised when you get called on it . When mayweather fights some kid off YouTube instead of a professional fighter he’s doing it for the money , it’s the same thing . No challenge. So expect criticism.

plenty of other managers and players are offered work in China and don’t take it , is that a fair point or not ? The reason they have careers and reputations they also often don’t have 10 journalists telling the world what an amazing job they do24/7 .

you simply will not allow even the slightest question to be posed of your hero and it’s odd . I think the bloke did a very decent job at the RS but it was 10/15 years ago and I’m not convinced he’s set the heather alight since . That he ‘worked hard’ in China for a kings ransom hardly convinces me frankly
It could be said that this all singing and dancing washed up Kopite manager made his work hard in his most recent employments.

Supporting the vast majority of football clubs is expensive, time consuming and without any guarantee of entertainment let alone success.

Stick a faux hardman with form for insults as manager into the mix, and it's hardly a cause for wonder that some supporters show extreme disdain and refuse to join the love - in for Benitez.

I can (and will) suspend my support for the club till he's gone. Others will continue their form of support, whatever it is, and good luck to them - it's none of my business.

Did you support us when we had Allardyce?

For the record this is a bloke who knew he had a 6 month gig and negotiated 18 months for the cash ...... Didn't take early week training cos he was in Spain in his villa after flying there after the weekend match.

Did you support us when we had Allardyce?

For the record this is a bloke who knew he had a 6 month gig and negotiated 18 months for the cash ...... Didn't take early week training cos he was in Spain in his villa after flying there after the weekend match.
Yes i was glad to see him go, but ironically finished two places higher that then this time last year adorned Carlo - we don't want to be bitter blues - as I stated the time to come on here slating him is when he is doing as bad as Carlo's last 12 games.... = relegation football.....

As the dust settled many have already softened towards the appointment of Rafael, invariably because people have calmed, listened and reviewed the situation of what everton had available or needed at present.

Too many comments, pods and radio phone ins are running with information that has no source or credence. A few myths around the appointment:

Marcel Brands a board member had no say on the appointment of Benitez. Massive untruth of course he had a say as a member of the board, OK he may have gone another way if it was his choice but being a director of football doesn't necessarily mean that person is given complete control of hiring/firing that would in fact be impossible in modern football.

He got the job because he lives on the Wirral. Nothing to do with where he lives a point can be made that he's done good work in around Merseyside but this doesn't mean he was picked because of where he lives, its a nicety nothing more.

Benitez football is horrible. I'd say this is wrong the vast majority of football managers that are successful do prioritise a solid defence but Rafael has shown a versatility depending on the tools available. Rafael's Valencia side were great to watch more recently when Rafael led NUFC in division 2 they played great football as he had fantastic players at that level when they got promoted and lost a number of players Wijnaldum, Sisssoko etc he had to adopt a more defensive style of play as his side were lacking quality and had the objective of staying up.

He did crap in China. It was reported Rafael was barely allowed in China or even at facilities or matches due to the start of the corona virus pandemic the thing was a write off from the start.

Everton is a payday no more. From all the things you hear about benitez the thought that he took the job because he's on the dole is quite simply crazy, there's no doubt Benitez could have commanded a big wage in Europe without any trouble and probably a lot less stress to go with it.

Benitez should be assessed on his performance as manager of Everton with the squad he's given by Marcel Brands. We love the old players like Unsy, Dunc etc but isn't it time they stopped taking the cushy wage and actually went away to prove themselves or are they happy to remain the ever present members of the recent failure at Everton Football Club?

Up the toffees and full goodison!!!!!
Good write up

Benitez getting the job has really rooted out the people who support Everton cos they love Everton and the ones who support Everton because they hate Liverpool hasn’t it.

Swear we would be more successful if we stopped being arsed about them
If we’re successful I honestly couldn’t care who manages us , the problems occur if the experiment fails with this bloke in charge .

I believe he is exactly the type of manager that many of our underperforming players need..

Shape up or ship out.
Mason Holgate is the classic example. A very talented young player who seemed to just breeze through last season, made lots of basic careless defending errors but still stayed in the team most weeks.
I don't think he will get away with that under the current manager.
Last season we saw some players kept in the team after dreadful performances and others left out after good ones....I hope that comes to an end as well. I am thinking in particular of Andre Gomes here and a couple of others as well.

I like a manager who keeps his distance from the players, it keeps them on their toes

Status
Not open for further replies.