2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
What revisionism ? He's a luxury player, missing more game than he plays, yes he's skilled there's no doubting that but being available only 30/40% of the time we need him isn't great especially when as has happened in some of his few appearances he has had off games where he hasn't performed well and has been at the standard of the rest of the team.

We're a team that needs better players and he is a fantastic player.

I'd rather have a luxury player who is genuine quality, than the luxury players we have who are crap - and we have about 8 of them.

What revisionism ? He's a luxury player, missing more game than he plays, yes he's skilled there's no doubting that but being available only 30/40% of the time we need him isn't great especially when as has happened in some of his few appearances he has had off games where he hasn't performed well and has been at the standard of the rest of the team.
I mean, he was definitely available more than he was unavailable. He was in 24 league match day squads out of 38. So yes, revisionism. Don't start quoting percentages and numbers as fact which aren't true.

Neither player is the future of EFC.

I'd prefer to keep the good one though and have him help us attract better quality around him.

It doesn't have to be so black and white.

It's a massive frustration and it comes across as a failed move when in reality it's a move which really should have paid off had our manager at the time - and our DoF - had a bit more foresight and, in Ancelotti's case, ability on the training pitch, it seems.

That's not to be revisionist on Ancelotti. I said all along from the middle of last season that he wasn't getting enough out of them from an attacking perspective and the over reliance on James, well that's not on James. And frankly, when he did play, he more often than not delivered, the numbers back it up. He just didn't play enough for how reliant we were on him.

My worry comes from the fact that James should have been, for me, the difference between us and the teams around us. He was that extra sprinkling of star dust. The reasons it didn't turn out that way aren't really on the player. He's not blameless - he didn't play amazing every minute - but mostly, he did what we needed of him when he played, and the gulf in quality was at times glaringly obvious. Ancelotti failed to find another way of playing, that's on him, and he wasn't helped by recruitment, which is on messers Brands and Moshiri etc.

Another 'what if', and I don't trust the people in charge to get a player that can do what James does because a) they don't grow on trees and b) our DoF has ultimately shown no ability to pick creative talents in his time here. In fact, his most 'creative' addition has been Digne, a left-back.

Neither player is the future of EFC.
If James leaves and Iwobi stays on for another 10 seasons James still would probably have more goals and assists.

Not that I judge players on goals and assists but Iwobi doesn't give much else either so...

Personally I am gutted that Rodriguez is probably leaving. I don't care if he can only play half a season he was an absolute joy to watch.

I'd prefer to keep the good one though and have him help us attract better quality around him.

It's a massive frustration and it comes across as a failed move when in reality it's a move which really should have paid off had our manager at the time - and our DoF - had a bit more foresight and, in Ancelotti's case, ability on the training pitch, it seems.

That's not to be revisionist on Ancelotti. I said all along from the middle of last season that he wasn't getting enough out of them from an attacking perspective and the over reliance on James, well that's not on James. And frankly, when he did play, he more often than not delivered, the numbers back it up. He just didn't play enough for how reliant we were on him.

My worry comes from the fact that James should have been, for me, the difference between us and the teams around us. He was that extra sprinkling of star dust. The reasons it didn't turn out that way aren't really on the player. He's not blameless - he didn't play amazing every minute - but mostly, he did what we needed of him when he played, and the gulf in quality was at times glaringly obvious. Ancelotti failed to find another way of playing, that's on him, and he wasn't helped by recruitment, which is on messers Brands and Moshiri etc.

Another 'what if', and I don't trust the people in charge to get a player that can do what James does because a) they don't grow on trees and b) our DoF has ultimately shown no ability to pick creative talents in his time here. In fact, his most 'creative' addition has been Digne, a left-back.

No one is to blame here. He came to play under Ancelotti who then left. Thats all there is to this. If he wants to leave then we should let him go.

Anyone who wants to leave should be allowed to leave if there is a good offer.

I think you're missing the point - we can't keep the player as his professional father figure has sodded off.

So it's a moot point. You have a tremendously gifted footballer who can only be arsed playing sometimes under certain conditions. He doesn't want to play at Everton without Ancelotti. Case closed.

No one is to blame here. He came to play under Ancelotti who then left. If he wants to leave then we should let him go.

Anyone who wants to leave should be allowed to leave if there is a good offer.

Not a coincidence it's Milan he's going.

For him, it's play occasionally under Ancelotti who will indulge his laziness for the game, or live in a cosmopolitan city half arsing his career.

Not a coincidence it's Milan he's going.

For him, it's play occasionally under Ancelotti who will indulge his laziness for the game, or live in a cosmopolitan city half arsing his career.
Liverpool is a cosmopolitan city...

Kind of.

I never saw him as lazy on the pitch to be honest. Moved like a glacier but he didn't stand out from anyone else in terms of not being arsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.