New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're arguing a point that's not being made. I'm not saying anyone who doesn't share my viewpoint is stupid, i'm saying it's really clear that Benitez doesn't just see Liverpool as a former employer. Trying to argue against that is silly, it's clear every time he talks about them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him feeling that way either, it's the way many ex-players and managers are with us too, it's totally normal. But it makes it difficult for people to get behind him as our manager, clearly. That's all that being said, any talk of him not doing his best or whatever is just a straw man you're making up, I haven't even hinted at that nevermind said it.

He talks very fondly of Liverpool. I wonder how much of that is the club though, how much of it is the fans, the memory or even the place?

This is my amateur Freud impression, but he seems the sort to me who would hold a grudge. I wouldn't be wholly surprised if he holds a lot of resentment for not just how he was sacked, but also how he was treated by their fans in the final year, where they turned on him quite brutally. If you think some of the stuff we have been doing in the last few days was bad, it was pretty awful back then.

A lot of people do get over that, and most of their fans have. However I wonder if he holds some animosity and a grudge, alongside an obvious admiration for aspects of the club. I don't know. It's always felt quite paradoxical to me.

May as well start the 'new new Everton manager' thread now and get it ready for 18 months time when he's sacked.

You're arguing a point that's not being made. I'm not saying anyone who doesn't share my viewpoint is stupid, i'm saying it's really clear that Benitez doesn't just see Liverpool as a former employer. Trying to argue against that is silly, it's clear every time he talks about them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him feeling that way either, it's the way many ex-players and managers are with us too, it's totally normal. But it makes it difficult for people to get behind him as our manager, clearly. That's all that being said, any talk of him not doing his best or whatever is just a straw man you're making up, I haven't even hinted at that nevermind said it.
But isn't that actually the most important consideration about his appointment? That he would do his best and be effectively an Evertonian while he is our manager? That's not a straw man - that's what I and I'm seeing many others actually want for our club, once we all see beyond the fact that he is / was a kopite and his football and managerial style is on the face of it not what many people want here.

You can dwell on that last bit all you want mate. I'm moving on now that we can't do anything about it happening.

He talks very fondly of Liverpool. I wonder how much of that is the club though, how much of it is the fans, the memory or even the place?

This is my amateur Freud impression, but he seems the sort to me who would hold a grudge. I wouldn't be wholly surprised if he holds a lot of resentment for not just how he was sacked, but also how he was treated by their fans in the final year, where they turned on him quite brutally. If you think some of the stuff we have been doing in the last few days was bad, it was pretty awful back then.

A lot of people do get over that, and most of their fans have. However I wonder if he holds some animosity and a grudge, alongside an obvious admiration for aspects of the club. I don't know. It's always felt quite paradoxical to me.
Struggling to find the clip on YouTube, but he talked about his affinity with the city on MNF last year and went out of his way to include Evertonians as a key part of what makes the city so great.

But isn't that actually the most important consideration about his appointment? That he would do his best and be effectively an Evertonian while he is our manager? That's not a straw man - that's what I and I'm seeing many others actually want for our club, once we all see beyond the fact that he is / was a kopite and his football and managerial style is on the face of it not what many people want here.

You can dwell on that last bit all you want mate. I'm moving on now that we can't do anything about it happening.
That's fine, but you're the one taking the point out of context. My point was about the connect between fans and manager, and how I feel like it's an important thing that we're not going to have. You've moved that on to whether or not he's going to try his best. If you want to go away thinking you're 'right' and a better blue than me then go for it, but nothing that you've said in any way counters the point I was making.

For anyone working in elite sport his condition is a disgrace , even more so when he his is working , sorry in charge of , the Academy.

How on earth can he advise re fitness and nutrition and be taken seriously.

The same goes for Benitez.
Didn't do Bob Paisley any harm. His teams rubbed our noses in the dirt for years and he was hardly thin!

Again, why? The team is full of unlikable players who shirk responsibility and barely even try when there is anything on the line. They've done that for years. That's a fact, that's not an opinion.

But what if he adds his own players and that fortune changes? What if he addresses the issues we had last season, ie. no right side whatsoever and brings in a ball carrying midfielder we’ve been crying out for? That will already be an improvement on last season wouldn’t it?

I don’t know, I’m just trying to think of positives as opposed to the doom and gloom mentality - which I understand.

With Rafael...I am expecting the typical Everton response...meaning that when we all expected to go well, it goes wrong or when we all expected to go wrong, it goes well. Therefore I think he might work at least in the short term. For sure this guy has a massive ego and big cojones to move to everton. The press and pundits will be all over it as soon as we lose games...

Status
Not open for further replies.