New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Li Tie for manager?

Got a team promoted into the Chinese Super League in his first season with them. Then went as assistant coach with the national team.
Then got a team from 2nd division China promoted, and then straight to 6th place in the Chinese Super League (3 places higher than Benitez that season). Before taking up the role as manager of the National Team.

If we think avoiding relegation in China is what top drawer managers are made of, then finishing top half must be elite level.

Am not even sure how they could spin it mate, I think if its going to be him we will genuinely hear nothing until the first game of the season and he will just be in the dugout.

No reveal, apology or otherwise would actually stop the inevitable fume.
We're going to make a big signing and he'll just be there in the background. That'll be his announcement. Something like

Cupace20210623150404.png

This would’ve been the case in years gone by, but Benitez isn’t interested in competing anymore at this stage of his career, this’ll be his last job before retirement and it’s a nice cushy number near his house with no pressure from the board to do anything. He certainly won’t be kicking up a fuss unless he’s underperforming so much that it looks like his job his under threat, in which case he’ll revert to type and blame everyone but himself again.
I just think that descriptions fits Benitez.
I think he is as angry and awkward a man and manager as he ever was and will want to prove himself to Evertonians and Liverpool supporters alike. I would not be surpised if his sacking at Liverpool still annoys him.

The real question is if he can be a success or is a yesterday man now.

genuinely find it hard to stomach Blues half defending him in any way!!

Im not saying that you want him and i can see your effort at striking balance but just why?
I don't want him - but I just find some of the arguments against him to be so short sighted.

He's actually a very successful coach who has a far better record than almost any manager we've ever appointed, and yet because he said some mean things about Everton once people are determined to paint him as some sort of failure. It just isn't true.

Just on this - and not talking about Benitez specifically but any "manager". The fact we have a DoF should mean that the "Manager" is really just the "First Team Coach". In that regard, we don't actually need or perhaps even WANT them to be giving a monkeys about the Academy.

The way it should work (in my mind at least) is that the First Team Coach works exclusively with the First Team, and it's the DoF who has the oversight of the whole player pathway from kids to first team, and simply tells the FTC at certain times - "right - xyz young player is now in your first team squad - use him". Obviously I think there needs to be some agreement between DoF and FTC over signings for the first team squad - but even then it should be the DoF who has power of veto.

Sadly I don't think it's working that way at Everton. And it's weird because Moshiri seemed absolutely determined to have a DoF model, but is also the one who damages that model the most by interfering in the most important decisions - especially who will be the FTC.

Yes all true. But you hope a first team coach would take holistic view, integrate younger players etc. I don't think you will get that with Benitez, and probably not with Ancelotti either. He gutted Liverpool's academy while he was there.

I don't want him - but I just find some of the arguments against him to be so short sighted.

He's actually a very successful coach who has a far better record than almost any manager we've ever appointed, and yet because he said some mean things about Everton once people are determined to paint him as some sort of failure. It just isn't true.
I hate him.

So yeah im biased, but ive honestly tried to look into his history and pluck something out I can get behind, there is nothing.

Not a single thing that impresses me.

Also, his remit when he went to China was to establish the team in the top 5/6. He led them into a relegation battle and survived via a playoff.

No it wasn't. They had only just been promoted when he took over. His remit was to stay in the division.

They didn't even have an academy until Rafael got there. In fact they didn't even have a scouting network. That was part of Rafas job, to prepare for the future so they have a line of young talent coming through the ranks.

I hate him.

So yeah im biased, but ive honestly tried to look into his history and pluck something out I can get behind, there is nothing.

Not even the Zen sitting in a Lotus for the CL final pens?! I thought that was cool af tbh

Why do we even have an Uzbek hard-man oligarch backing us if he can’t get world-class management talent on board through any means required? What’s the world coming to?

I hate him.

I'm kind of like this. I don't even hate him anymore, but I kind of pity the sycophants and cheerleaders he has around him twisting what he has done (I am not calling La that at all, but we know the sorts). He reminds me a bit of Allardyce who's always twisting what he has done to make himself seem better.

I can let a lot of that go though if I thought he was what the club really needed. I think he's about the opposite of what we need. However, what I'll say is if Moshiri/Usmanov want to keep throwing money at the 1st team and hope to just those results, he's probably quite well suited to this squad. We could well soon improvement, but will be getting into a deeper financial hole in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.