New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more things about Benitez at the RS.

His record in the transfer market was largely miserable. He bought in tonnes of players and paid absolute fortunes for them but very few were actual successes.

His biggest sporting achievement, the 2005 Champions League owed far more to the RS' deal with the devil than anything he did. They fluked the group stages, virtually every knock out round including the ridiculous ghost goal against Chelsea and of course they got utterly thrashed, embarrassed and humiliated for all but six minutes of the final. He basically did what Roberto Di Matteo did in 2012, but no one considers Di Matteo's fluke as anything other than a fluke and that's why no one hires him anymore.

His best achievements for me are the league titles at Valencia which were so long ago that he'd have some cheek actually including them on his CV.

He is not a good manager, and hasn't been for a while. I don't care about what he said about Everton, he was Liverpool manager at the time and it wasn't in his job description to be nice to us. If we were to have appointed him in 2007 it's actually something I could have got behind then, but in 2021?! He has failed miserably at Inter, Real Madrid, has been outperformed by Steve Bruce at Newcastle and did absolutely nothing in China of all places.

Lucien Favre, Rudi Garcia, Ernesto Valverde...we have options and don't need to go down this route. Benitez won't be afforded the same standards as any other manager, making it an almost impossible job. Why on earth would we employ a manager where every loss will be treated like doomsday?
sorry, you don't fluke winning the champions league with that team. He's a brilliant manager.

A couple more things about Benitez at the RS.

His record in the transfer market was largely miserable. He bought in tonnes of players and paid absolute fortunes for them but very few were actual successes.

His biggest sporting achievement, the 2005 Champions League owed far more to the RS' deal with the devil than anything he did. They fluked the group stages, virtually every knock out round including the ridiculous ghost goal against Chelsea and of course they got utterly thrashed, embarrassed and humiliated for all but six minutes of the final. He basically did what Roberto Di Matteo did in 2012, but no one considers Di Matteo's fluke as anything other than a fluke and that's why no one hires him anymore.

His best achievements for me are the league titles at Valencia which were so long ago that he'd have some cheek actually including them on his CV.

He is not a good manager, and hasn't been for a while. I don't care about what he said about Everton, he was Liverpool manager at the time and it wasn't in his job description to be nice to us. If we were to have appointed him in 2007 it's actually something I could have got behind then, but in 2021?! He has failed miserably at Inter, Real Madrid, has been outperformed by Steve Bruce at Newcastle and did absolutely nothing in China of all places.

Lucien Favre, Rudi Garcia, Ernesto Valverde...we have options and don't need to go down this route. Benitez won't be afforded the same standards as any other manager, making it an almost impossible job. Why on earth would we employ a manager where every loss will be treated like doomsday?

Why do people keep saying this? It's simply not true.

I think was looking to appease he'd have given

I think if he was looking to appease he'd have gone out and acquired Galtier.

My point is I think Brands is driving it.

Sure, Moshiri will obviously need to agree and have his own ideas but January 2019 when Brands was promoted to the board;

“Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit, responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the Club, rather than just player recruitment

"Marcel is now responsible, and accountable, for delivering the long-term, holistic, football strategy and principles, from Academy through to the first team"

The media haven't got a clue. Moshiri this, Moshiri that. They don't know - it's all second guessing and what managers agents/teams tell them.

Everton signed players like Godfrey who Ancelotti admitted he hadn't heard of.

Brands (now) has a lot more power at this club than most seem to appreciate.

I think was looking to appease he'd have given

I think if he was looking to appease he'd have gone out and acquired Galtier.
I suppose one thing I don’t really know is who the overall fanbase wants as manager. Twitter and GOT are where I get my news but I’m not sure that’s fully representative. Is Galtier a genuinely popular option?

I think it’s fairly obvious Benitez won’t be………

sorry, you don't fluke winning the champions league with that team. He's a brilliant manager.

They fluked the final. Hyppia brought down Shevchenko just after half time when they were 0-3 down and in any other scenario would have got a red card. The ref more than likely thought what was the point as the game was over.

You don't fluke getting to the final in the first place though. But it was also 15 years ago.

Finished second in their group behind Monaco, level of points with Olympiacos who were on the verge of putting them out but then Gerrard scored a screamer.

Beat Leverkusen comfortably so fair enough there but narrowly edged Juventus who were extremely unlucky, beat Chelsea thanks to a goal that didn't cross the line and got annihilated for all but six minutes of the final but clung on and won on penalties.

Yes, it was an absolute fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.