New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you have said that if we had appointed him as manager after his second consecutive 7th place finish ?

Last year we saw that Wolves club seems to have run out of ambition, but that is not the managers fault.

Last season if we had lost Richarlison, DCL and Digne for just about the entire season we would have been in even deeper trouble than Wolves.

Not my preferred choice but if appointed then he has my full support.
He has my support too. I'd question why Wolves decided to let him go.

That, and the fact it seems a very convenient appointment. No compensation package and immediate availability. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but I don't believe this is the outcome of a structured process. Brands, once
again seems to have been either sidelined or not involved at all apart from the notional presentation of a shortlist to Moshiri.

I don't have anything against NES as such. He is now seasoned in PL football and you can't argue with his record at Wolves. Elsewhere it's a bit patchy but not overly concerning.

It's more the (lack of) process that I find concerning. We are getting a quite solid appointment. A little uninspiring though.

"level we're at"
lol
Mate we are the definition of a bang bang average club, Wolves have finished 7th twice in the past 3 years something this club has failed to achieve lately despite blowing way more money, We haven't done anything of note in 10 years yet we talk like we're the bees knees, We got Ancelotti because he got sacked and threw a load of money at him, we was about to re-appoint David Moyes.

I didn't want NES far from it, His 3-4-3 is aids but people painting this like it's the worst appointment ever are having a laugh.

I think its more to do with the club not doing their due diligence on the manager and instead just going for whoever is available. If nuno was still at wolves he wouldn't even be in the running for the managers job.

It's another ill thought out appointment with a different style of play from the last managers which means he'll have to buy more players to play his style. Which means he'll need "time" to implement his style which he won't get because the fans are already against him and they know hell be gone in 18 months so whats the point?

All this appointment will do is waste 18 months of our lives and spend money on player to suit a system well never play again once the new manager comes in and plays some other style we'll be stuck with rapidly devaluing assets that either won't be used or won't be as effective.

Also if he tries to play keane in a back 3 then we might as well just not bother tbh.

Sit deep, break on wings every now and then, angle a ball to Jiminez, play off him, repeat.

Except repeat even if Jiminez is injured because Nuno is incapable of Plan B to a marvellous extent.
Can't say I watched alot of wolves other than when we played them did watch them get beat by Burnley 0-4 at home and it could have been 6/7 and watching Nuno unable to change anything in the game.
I feel like a lot of people underwhelmed by his possible appointment but hopefully I will be converted ultimately we all want us to play decent front foot football and be successful.,at the minute I just feel we are like Watford changing managers every season

First 2 seasons, not actually boring at all.
Contain and counter attack. If you only get excited by constant attacking, then no you won’t be happy, but it’s still engrossing.
Watching live is better, as in the first 2 seasons there were excellent pressing traps in our own half, just didn’t chase them all over the field like a Leeds or the red lot.
Last season was bloody dire. No escaping that.
There were a couple of decent performances early on before Jimenez’s injury (absolutely bossed Palace, who for some unknown reason decided to press and defend narrow, letting WBs run the show), but it was mostly poo even then, and just got worse thereafter.
Throw in injuries to our best CB, first choice LB, then Neto in the form of his life.

In answer to dealing with deep sitting defences....we didn’t. We were absolutely awful against the bottom teams in season 1, couldn’t break them down and just seemingly generally half arsed them.
2nd season we picked up a LOT of points from bottom 6, mostly through the Traore-Jimenez show.
Over the 3, I’d give it a 9/10, but that could well be heavily influenced by how low our expectations have been in the last 40 years.
Entertainment value was probably only a 6 or 7 overall in reality.

2 7th places and a Europa QF would be a massive step up for Everton in terms of recent achievement, hence why I’m baffled at the level of criticism.
To understand it all, you've got to appreciate where we've come from.

The 90's were horrid. Then Moyes came and stabilised us, and got us knocking on the door of the champions league places. We watched as Chelsea, then Man City both got bought out and overtook us.

When Moyes left, the general consensus was he had taken us far as he could, and new manager was needed to reach the next step. Not many were convinced Martinez was the man to do, but that first season was a breath of fresh air. Seamus Coleman was doing keepy uppies through the Arsenal midfield ffs.

Then Moshiri came, and we all hoped now was our time to get the cash, and start reeling in the top teams. What has happened instead is we've regressed. Ancelotti was, at long last, progress. We seemed to have a plan and direction at long last.

Now he's gone, and we're back to square one again. Truth is, there isn't a single manager out there that come in and provide continuity. We're starting again with whoever we appoint. And this is where our frustrations come in.

There are going to plenty of us unhappy with whoever we appoint

I think it shows that mendes will run rings around moshiri. It took 2 weeks because he was going to palace. Either mendes has been in moshiri's ear and that's why they pulled out, or palace pulled the plug because they were dragging their feet. Either way, he's done our owner up like a kipper.
You really don't know that at all.

The alternative view is that Nuno would not take the Palace job and was prepared to wait for Everton to consider other options because he wanted this job even though he ran the risk of getting neither.

Just an alternative view, based on nothing.

In these conversations, my example has always been Serie A in the 90s.

Tactical, intelligent football with superb quality in defence and then strategic play to outfox the opponent when on the attack.

Alot of people find that boring. I love it and enjoy seeing top notch defenders just the same as your James Rodriguez'.

I could handle the style last season with the expectation of adding attacking players and a more exciting strategy to outfox opposition teams -- which is what Ancelotti recognised was needed with a higher line.

Instead we look set to appoint a manager who plays the same way as last season with the sole difference being fast attackers...3 at the back evert game...static centre midfield.

Its the hallmark of negativity with no progress.

In all honesty watching Everton last season was a dirge, it wanst terribly entertaining, yes there were moments of tension but more based on results, but if people think we played a brand of attacking football last season they are fooling themselves. We played a pragmatic, tactical game. Im a bit confused you say you like football and an approach of like Serie A in ths 90's, that was slow paced, strategic and very low intensity. It was largely based on defensive systems so i dont understand in the comparison in the sense of you saying - you want a coach that plays attacking progressive creative football. In all honesty, if say we played how we did last season, with Sean Dyce or Sam Allardyce as we did under Carlo - people would be looking for both to be sacked this summer. We were very forgiving because of the "Carlo" label.

Its a game of percentages, say Martinez went 70% attack and 30% defensive, we were naive and often tonked laterally, when the Moyes defense fell apart. Carlo last season got our best results playing 70% defensive and trying to nick one on the counter, which at times worked.

The points you are making mate are bit of contradiction between your posts. Not having a go or anything as have the height of respect for your opinions, just a healthy debate. ;)

Nuno plays id suggest a similar system, to Leicester, Mordor maybe Villa and Leeds, threat and transition comes from the flanks and midfield in there as a shield to press but also support attacking play. Its pretty much how Moyes used to play, but Nuno is probably a bit more adventurous with his wing backs then the afore mentioned teams. My concern is that how you are got at, i always knew if you get in behind the Wolves wing backs you make hay.

Ok I was immediately against this on little more than perception but...,

On mature reflection and reading a bit more about him I can see some good signs.

On the positive side, he’s brought Wolves forward quickly from Championship also-rans to a PL staple, good connections in the transfer market can’t hurt, players seem to like playing for him.

3 main concerns for me
1. Defensive boring style
2. Bland personality
3. Not much of a communicator

However, out of curiosity had a look at how they played in the Championship and their style was very attacking and possession based so his current style is likely to be out of necessity:

https://footballdna.co.uk/features/wolves-3-4-3-attacking-style-analysis/

The blandness jibe is really based on dull press conference

so... reading a bit more about him, maybe he’s not bland at all and definitely not a bad communicator, speaking 5 languages

Not fully convinced but there’s enough there to give him a chance

"[Nuno gave] £250,000 of his own money to help impoverished families in Wolverhampton, donated in January. Nuno’s money has meant hundreds of crisis families could put food on the table. It’s provided tablet computers for homes that couldn’t afford technology for children to learn during lockdown.

He...wanted to do something for the city, feeling passionately that people who were suffering should be helped. Discussions were had as to the best way to channel his money and the notion of kids simply not having food on their tables resonated most of all, with food poverty a huge problem in Wolverhampton.

He just got it. He understood what this sleeping giant needed, he understood what success meant to the club, to the city."

If he gets the job he'll fit in here. That's the type we need at the club.

Would you have said that if we had appointed him as manager after his second consecutive 7th place finish ?

Last year we saw that Wolves club seems to have run out of ambition, but that is not the managers fault.

Last season if we had lost Richarlison, DCL and Digne for just about the entire season we would have been in even deeper trouble than Wolves.

Not my preferred choice but if appointed then he has my full support.

Your argument is flawed.

The fact is that this isnt after his 2nd season at Wolves.

Hes been there 4 seasons.

If Ancelotti had played the same style next season then the knives would he out for him (a fair amount were sick of him already --- funnily enough alot of those want Nuno).

Signing a manager who has stuck to a negative style and not evolved over 4 years is the discussion point...not whether we would have had less of an informed opinion 2 years ago and made a mistake.

Were currently making that mistake with 2 years more data.

….as far as most posters are concerned I think the current situation can best be described as;

‘Underwhelmed. We want NES to do well but we don’t expect NES to do well.’

I think if he comes in then A LOT will depend on the turnaround of players whether he is supported or not.

At this point id rather he was sacked quickly.

If we are aiming for mid table then just hire ferguson and if he failed then hire a safe negative manager like this.

Ancelotti stated he wanted to play a higher line and would add more excitement by being more attacking next season.

It was like the style of play for step 1 of a rebuild.

So what do we do? Sign a manager who is stuck on step 1...

Weve had fans slate Ancelotti for the style (fair enough)

Then now say they like Nuno and enjoy his football (its the same as we just witnessed)

Then all these different excuses for him and how well hes done?

The bloke has been given hundreds of millions...and hes not even adapted his negative style of play.

Whats the difference with Dyche? Allardyce? Wilder?

The players Mendes gave him.

Lets hope the club have noticed the massive negative feedback online...

Hes not even signed the players. Hes been a total stooge for Mendes.

What were getting is a Mendes stooge whose been given players for 4 seasons.

Stuck to the same boring negative play.

Then Palace who didnt think he was worth backing enough to bring his backroom staff.
Zat, the majority of us knew that Ancelotti reverted to that type of play due to the situation he was in. He started the season playing on the front foot, reverted to defence first when injuries hit and those replacements simply could not play football.

As any good manager does, you revert to a tight back line. You don’t concede, you don’t lose and your chances of winning increase.

But, it would have changed this season.

Nuno’s Plan A is Carlo’s plan F; amazing stuff

Why do you think he's not Brands choice?
Moshiri's name is all over it in press coverage and well, it seems a little too convenient.

This was supposedly his chance to put his own ideas and stamp behind an appointment and we get the guy who was just released by Wolves?

As I've said in other posts, that isn't a criticism of NES. He has done exceedingly well for himself to get the job here. I want him to succeed.

Haha okiedokey - problem is your "what's best for Everton FC" would include sticking with Marco Silva to League One because you never change your view on absolutely anything regardless of the evidence.

I mean good on you tbh, it's entertaining, just glad to know what side of the fence you're going to be sticking your flag up on with this one, it'll be a fun ride.
I supported Silva to get a bit more time. He was never my choice. I supported Koeman in his first 12 months here.

I dunno, maybe it's just me that thinks any Everton manager deserves to be given the right to prove themselves rather than just condemn him and offer them no support and pledge to 'defeat him and make his time here just 18 months'...but I doubt it.

It's called loyalty. You might want to familiarise yourself with that concept too.

Status
Not open for further replies.