New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
….Sky suspend betting on Benitez:

8CE438FC-2BD2-42D9-846D-FAD561ED2B36.png

I was just checking whether the "Graham Goblin has to make do with the scraps" argument was true.

Then I saw that in 19/20 he bought Adam Webster for £20m, Maupay for £20m and Trossard for £18m.

Near £60m spent on complete garbage. Lol.

Maupay would get a game for Everton.

I was just checking whether the "Graham Goblin has to make do with the scraps" argument was true.

Then I saw that in 19/20 he bought Adam Webster for £20m, Maupay for £20m and Trossard for £18m.

Near £60m spent on complete garbage. Lol.

Omg he actually bought Maupay? Hahahaha that’s the thing everyone’s been using to defend him, that he doesn’t have a decent striker so his hands are tied.

The person with the best CV who wanted the job. Sorry, that's not meant to be glib. I'd start by contacting Diego Simeone's representatives to see if 11m a year, a chance to work in England, and build a club from the bottom up would remotely interest him. I would then work my way down the list, prioritising those with tangible achievements. A club that can offer 11m a year will have lots of interested applications. We should be looking to appoint somebody with proven credentials, i.e., people who have won one of Europe's top five leagues or taken a side to the last four, at least, in the Champions League or Europa League, if only to eliminate the chaff and shorten the recruitment process. Serious operations do not take a punt - unless they can afford for that punt to fail and start again.

So, by my criteria, I wouldn't entertain somebody who hasn't won things or gone far in European competition. So, a Nuno would be at the bottom of my possible appointments (by dint of his European experience only), but would almost certainly not get interviewed. Appointing him would show us to have the ambition of Crystal Palace. I think we need to show faith in our bargaining position. Nobody gave us a prayer of getting Carlo last time. Erik ten Hag is somebody we should be interested in. Christoph Galtier is the current French champion. Unai Emery has won yet another Europa League. These men have credentials. I would sound out the representatives of managers of interest at the European Championship. That could lead to potential candidatures from people like Roberto Mancini, Luis Enrique, and Joachim Löw. I would also be leaving emotion out of any appointment decisions. Therefore, if we continue down my list without luck, one would then consider people like Rafael Benitez.

The Everton job is too big to be given to a novice or somebody who has never won anything. That eliminates the likes of Howe, Potter, and Moyes - managerial detritus in world terms. I am not saying they are not capable or even admirable managers. I am saying that, in my opinion, they do not have the credentials to be appointed to one of the 20 richest clubs in the world. Others will disagree, but I don't see a young Brian Clough just waiting for his chance in any of the familiar local names being proposed.
I am not sure that is the best approach. We tried a manager like the kind you are suggesting in Carlo and he took us 12th and 10th. Each of our last 5 permanent managers managed a single digit figure position in the league table in their first 2 seasons. You could argue we would have fared less under a lesser manager but that's not something we can ever really know.

The managers in your list would probably be aiming for established Champions League Clubs and wouldn't be interested in us even if we offered 11 million reasons why every year like we did with Carlo.

When you consider where we are right now, the sort of manager most suitable for us is a Brendon Rodgers type. He is proven in this league and you pretty much guarantee he would have us where Leicester are now with a year or 2. He could take us further by 3. He does seem to fail at the final hurdle a lot but you would have someone like that to get you to that point and that's when you look at the people like simeone et al, to make us champions and keep us there

This is why I would gamble with Potter he could be the Rodgers type to get us to that competitive stage, the more I read up on him the more I see the potential by joining a club with a better starting group of players and better resource to develop and improve the team. The only issue I could see if whether some of the 'star' names would respect him but then if we have a team of players who act like that then we are never gonna win anything

Status
Not open for further replies.