New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's because he has a frankly pathetic 25% win ration in the League over two seasons that is understandably making everyone aware what a dreadful appointment he would be. One season - ok maybe adjustment. Two is established garbage, and good luck if he tries football principles over results at everton. He'll be eviscerated.

Well its been said many times now. The risk is him on a bigger budget to compliment his style of football. Like many who watched them last season. Decent finisher and that ratio is a lot higher.
I think he's one of the more interesting candidates. He's clearly a good thinker about the game so the question is could he adapt that on a bigger stage.
Im desperate to see some good football come to Everton. Its been to bland for to long. Sick of seeing Everton sides go into so many games and get embarrassed because we cant string two passes together.

First it was Kenwright
Then it was Parish
Now it’s Moshri....in the fabulous pre season blockbuster;
353C23BD-B219-4364-A2BC-E55A99B7E9E8.jpeg

FINDING NUNO!

It's a matter of conjecture how well Potter is doing at Brighton relative to resources and expectations. Of course you would want a bit more if he is under consideration. Add his time at Ostersund and Swansea and there is a reasonable body of work there that looks far from shabby.

But he has kept them up. It's a foundation. The longer you stay up, the greater your chances of staying up and moving up. Pragmatism is not the enemy.

I have heard some shouts for Farke and who am I to knock them. He did take Norwich down though before bringing them back up. Perhaps it's better not to have to take a side back up in the first place.

Not that relegation should condemn a manager to the scrap heap. Klopp, Pochettino and others have that to their name.

I think it's because he has a frankly pathetic 25% win ration in the League over two seasons that is understandably making everyone aware what a dreadful appointment he would be. One season - ok maybe adjustment. Two is established garbage, and good luck if he tries football principles over results at everton. He'll be eviscerated.

With Brighton, when he took over they were third favourites for relegation.

Kept them in the division while playing the best football they're ever played, producing the most points they've ever produced in the Premier League, while being deemed a very unlucky team that would be midtable had they had decent strikers.

Well its been said many times now. The risk is him on a bigger budget to compliment his style of football. Like many who watched them last season. Decent finisher and that ratio is a lot higher.
I think he's one of the more interesting candidates. He's clearly a good thinker about the game so the question is could he adapt that on a bigger stage.
Im desperate to see some good football come to Everton. Its been to bland for to long. Sick of seeing Everton sides go into so many games and get embarrassed because we cant string two passes together.
I agree with everything you say except 'bigger stage'... We will be in the same tournies as Brighton next year playing the same teams. We need to be more conscious of that. Might give the next manager a break and more time as a result. He'll do better with more money and we do have a few more quid than Brighton even if on the same stage now. Can he get us to a bigger stage? I think so

There was a very, very heavily edited video of a couple of goals from when he was Swansea boss. They finished 10th in the Championship, he'd had the full season. If that wasn't bad enough in isolation, one of the team goals has five players including the goalkeeper knocking the ball around in their own box under (not a lot of) pressure. He'd need to try and get Pickford, Keane, Holgate, Allan, Doucoure to do that. Nobody can. In Allan's and Doucoure's defence, they weren't brought in with that skillset either, but selling them now would be insane.

Reactions: JLW
With Brighton, when he took over they were third favourites for relegation.

Kept them in the division while playing the best football they're ever played, producing the most points they've ever produced in the Premier League, while being deemed a very unlucky team that would be midtable had they had decent strikers.

That's nonsense and purely hypothetical. In reverse, you'd say he was so crap at adapting to his squad - two seasons worth of squad - their weakness was exposed over and over again. I make the same point - try that at Everton and see what the fanbase does to you.

I've read it 3 or 4 times now and I still can't understand what your point is. Not trying to be rude, I just don't grasp it.

Poch had Espanyol bottom of the league. He had been expected to keep them in the league. He was sacked. Southampton decided there was a risk worth taking on him despite that based on what they'd seen.

Klopp got Mainz promoted, kept them up for a few years and then got them relegated and couldn't get them back up. Dortmund saw something in him which convinced them to appoint him.

By your logic on Potter,they shouldn't have appointed them in the first place?

my point is potter is crap and if people think he’s good enough for us your head have fell off

That's nonsense and purely hypothetical. In reverse, you'd say he was so crap at adapting to his squad - two seasons worth of squad - their weakness was exposed over and over again. I make the same point - try that at Everton and see what the fanbase does to you.
Is not being able to shoot it between the white things at either end of the ground really a weakness that gets exploited?

"Alright lads Brighton this week, no need to close down it won't be going in anyway."

Not saying it isn't an issue but I look at it as one that is purely player related the same as a GK making errors. You can switch players and hope but within a season that is it. Now if he were to never sign strikers that would also be an issue. He can't seem to do that right but a good thing is that wouldn't be a worry here as we've got our man in that position.

I wouldn't worry about Potter. Remember, this time we are told Brands is making the choice. If that is correct, then he knows his job depends on getting this right or else the Gulag awaits. In those circumstances, he'll not be taking a punt. He'll be playing conservatively. It's a hell of a lot easier to justify your continued existence at a club if you sign a top level manager who fails. "Well, we can hardly be blamed for bringing in Ancelotti" rings just as true if it involves Conte or some other proven candidate with titles on his CV. Take a punt on Potter and it fails - like many of us here predict it would - then he's got nowhere to hide.

Of course, if he is NOT making the choice, then I find it hard to believe that we need to worry about Potter at all. Could you honestly see Moshiri plumping for the non-glitz option? Nah, not going to happen.

Hang on, Potter's league finishes are:

Osterund : 8th, 5th in a tinpot league
Swansea: 10th in the Championship
Brighton: 15th, 16th

And people genuinely think there is an argument for appointing him. Holy wow.
Assume you're deliberately ignoring his 3 promotions with Ostersund before those two seasons in the top flight, where he also won the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.