2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have liked to think he owed us more than jumping off at the first opportunity. But he binned us quicker than you can say Santiago Bernabeu.

The point was we all hoped long term he could deliver what we were paying him for.

The "first opportunity" (we don't actually know 100% that it even was his first opportunity to leave) was Real Madrid. Everton are getting binned off every single time for Real Madrid. Duncan would probably swerve us for Madrid. This shouldn't be surprising. Bigger clubs than Everton get their best players and managers taken by Real and Barca, whatever their circumstances.

We were paying Carlo Ancelotti to do his job as manager, which he did, perfectly in line with his contractual obligations. We didn't pay him 11m so he'd stay for 5+ years, we paid him that because he's Carlo Ancelotti. That's what you pay big names to do their job. We'd have paid him performance bonuses if he'd achieved anything here - and we obviously haven't now and won't do. If managers get a better offer and leave, that is their right and there is nothing we can do about it.

Imagine if your boss tried to tell you that you should decline your dream job offer because you originally aimed to deliver something in the long term, knowing they'd happily sack you 6 months later, for things that could at least in part be out of your control.

As a non commercial lawyer I would strongly suspect that there was a release clause in the contract.
Remember back 18 months. Moshiri was desperate ( again ) and pulled off what was regarded as a huge coup in getting Ancelotti.
Ancelotti held all the cards and I imagine that as a savy operator either he or his lawyer insisted on a release clause , prehaps for free or maybe a fixed amount , if a CL club came in for him.
However you are totally correct about loyalty and integrity.
"Quiet Leadership" says that those are the 2 qualities he values most. Yes he thought PSG was a project and that's what he wanted and to be loved and wanted.
He had all that here said he wanted to extend his contract and lead us into the new stadium.
Even worse the hypocrite was an arch critic of the ESL and yet at the 1st opportunity jumps ship to join the founder of it.
We are better off without him.

I haven't read his book, but I would imagine his "loyalty" doesn't extend to those who have none for him.

How loyal would Everton have been to Ancelotti if we were in the bottom half in November?

The "first opportunity" (we don't actually know 100% that it even was his first opportunity to leave) was Real Madrid. Everton are getting binned off every single time for Real Madrid. Duncan would probably swerve us for Madrid. This shouldn't be surprising. Bigger clubs than Everton get their best players and managers taken by Real and Barca, whatever their circumstances.

We were paying Carlo Ancelotti to do his job as manager, which he did, perfectly in line with his contractual obligations. We didn't pay him 11m so he'd stay for 5+ years, we paid him that because he's Carlo Ancelotti. That's what you pay big names to do their job. We'd have paid him performance bonuses if he'd achieved anything here - and we obviously haven't now and won't do. If managers get a better offer and leave, that is their right and there is nothing we can do about it.

Imagine if your boss tried to tell you that you should decline your dream job offer because you originally aimed to deliver something in the long term, knowing they'd happily sack you 6 months later, for things that could at least in part be out of your control.

It isn't surprising, but I think the idea that he'd moved on to a different type of challenge in his career after it started to stutter a bit and so would be prepared to give us time, is a valid one.

It would be different if he hadn't been there already, and they sacked him already.

Seems to me that he is a man who likes to stay in work, we got him mid-season at a good time for us. In the summer it probably wouldn't have been an option.

Someone like him, and anyone really, would always have known that another big offer would arrive. It always will for a man with his CV.

He had a free pass here, it wouldn't have put off the likes of Madrid, and he knew that when he signed the contract here.

IMHO he just lost whatever interest and patience he had for the job here and jumped ship.

He would have regardless I think. Getting Europe would have meant he did that for us and could hand over, not getting it meant he wasn't bothered enough to try again.

Bye Bye - 10th position......

1623152682580.png

Theres two points here really...

1: Did he have a clause in his contract allowing him to jump ship for free -- other posters have said weve been paid north of £10mil.

2: No matter what was in his contract or agreed verbally it goes against everything he has stated verbally (and in writing) in the book, after PSG and onwards...many times, concerning wanting to build a team over the long term...and specifically Everton.

I think its reasonable to assume that the bloke either dramatically changed his decades long wish or he had been lying.

Id go with the latter.
There is very little in his history to suggest he sticks around for more than a couple of years anywhere - and yes I know he was sacked from most jobs post PSG. Simply no evidence of him wanting to build a team over the long term - in fact directly the opposite.

I'd rather judge him on his actions rather than what he wants people to hear in an autobiography.

Haha man... is this funny to people and I don't get it? I don't care, have at it man, once in awhile I'll have at it to.

It's all good here
hello buddy can i have proper response with ur thoughts on mr ancelotti leaving. mambo out buddy.

Fact is when he says he’s looking for a new challenge .. in fact he is going back to the same exact challenge he has been taking on his whole career… nothing new for him by going back to Real…

just saying..

I haven't read his book, but I would imagine his "loyalty" doesn't extend to those who have none for him.

How loyal would Everton have been to Ancelotti if we were in the bottom half in November?
He is going back to work for the president, who was briefing journalists against him last time. He is going to work for the man who was going to be the head of the European Super league, weeks after slaughtering the proposal because he thought he was staying with us.

He stated he wasn't interested in the Madrid job when he thought Allegri was getting it and then walked as soon as it was offered to him.

Just admit the fact that he played us and told us what he thought we wanted to hear.

He is going back to work for the president, who was briefing journalists against him last time. He is going to work for the man who was going to be the head of the European Super league, weeks after slaughtering the proposal because he thought he was staying with us.

He stated he wasn't interested in the Madrid job when he thought Allegri was getting it and then walked as soon as it was offered to him.

Just admit the fact that he played us and told us what he thought we wanted to hear.
Us? We?

Pipe down you RS helmet.

As a Liverpool fan, you should be well aware of the draw of the two biggest Spanish clubs.

Football is business. Do you think he's arsed what Perez did last time in sacking him? It wasn't personal and Perez has come crawling back with Ancelotti's dream job offer again anyway. He could reject it but he'd be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Did he ever say he wouldn't manage a super league club? Are Real Madrid going to be playing in a ESL any time soon? Ancelotti didn't think so.

Telling "us" what we want to hear in interviews is his job. All the stuff about wanting to be in charge for the opening of the new ground was probably true, but only on the condition Madrid didn't come in for him. But that condition goes without saying.

I agree, the guy is a rat. Just like Abel Xavier and Nick Barmby. The only surprise is he didn't join Big Red as it seems to be the destination of choice for rats.

It isn't surprising, but I think the idea that he'd moved on to a different type of challenge in his career after it started to stutter a bit and so would be prepared to give us time, is a valid one.

It would be different if he hadn't been there already, and they sacked him already.

Seems to me that he is a man who likes to stay in work, we got him mid-season at a good time for us. In the summer it probably wouldn't have been an option.

Someone like him, and anyone really, would always have known that another big offer would arrive. It always will for a man with his CV.

He had a free pass here, it wouldn't have put off the likes of Madrid, and he knew that when he signed the contract here.

IMHO he just lost whatever interest and patience he had for the job here and jumped ship.

He would have regardless I think. Getting Europe would have meant he did that for us and could hand over, not getting it meant he wasn't bothered enough to try again.

I think those are fair points, but I don't see a shred of evidence to suggest he'd lost interest in anything. Taking the Real Madrid job is something you throw a 5 year plan and 18 months work at Everton straight in the bin for. You do that because if you don't take it, you might never get the chance again.

I think those are fair points, but I don't see a shred of evidence to suggest he'd lost interest in anything. Taking the Real Madrid job is something you throw a 5 year plan and 18 months work at Everton straight in the bin for. You do that because if you don't take it, you might never get the chance again.
I don't disagree. It just seems in that sense we were nothing more than a placeholder for him though. He will probably be available again soon enough, we know he doesn't stay anywhere long.

I wouldn't ever come back in for him again, once bitten, twice shy. It was a once-only opportunity anyway. Pity how it went in the end.

I don't disagree. It just seems in that sense we were nothing more than a placeholder for him though. He will probably be available again soon enough, we know he doesn't stay anywhere long.

I wouldn't ever come back in for him again, once bitten, twice shy. It was a once-only opportunity anyway. Pity how it went in the end.

We were a placeholder and we weren't. If he'd never got another chance at a top club again, we'd have had him for as long as we wanted and he'd have done his best here.

In the end, we've just been really unlucky they felt the need to come in for him this soon though. I think everyone in football, never mind just us, thought he was done at that level, at least until he'd had real success at an Everton, Napoli etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.