Where's the root of Everton's problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I take it we got beat.
I think the time has come to stop posting this comment. We have just lost our 9th home game of the season, equalling our worst home season ever. People have the right to question the set-up. My opinion is Moshiri has wasted a load of money with bad decisions. We needed a high profile manager like Ancelotti from day one of his tenure. Pursuing Marco Silva was an awful decision, and getting Steve Walsh in similarly. There was an arrogant attitude at the club that simply having money will get you success. Well we know now that's not true. Once you've made the number of bad, expensive decisions that we have it takes years to undo and start again. I believe we are now moving in the right direction, and that after 3 or 4 new signings we will be better next season and finish in the top 8. Breaking into the top 6 or 4 will take another couple of years of good signings and shifting the last if the bad buys.

There is so much wrong with Everton but the main one is complacency , under performing players know they will continue to get picked so don't care or try. The "squad" players know that they will get 5 minutes if Carlo remembers they exist so they don't try as they know they will be back on the bench again the following game. This cycle has to be broken otherwise we will always be 8th or 9th .

Fans expectations.

We had an awful squad at the start of the season and yet we have threads on achieving European football.
Probably brought on by over-achieving in several games with some remarkable results along the way and breaking some hoodoos.
Funny old season.
But the squad is still gash.

I would have said we need a clear out. But we all already knew that a year ago.
Very much this

It takes time to clear out and you cannot do it all in one go. This summer will tell if we can improve or if golf is to become my top sport.

I think the time has come to stop posting this comment. We have just lost our 9th home game of the season, equalling our worst home season ever. People have the right to question the set-up. My opinion is Moshiri has wasted a load of money with bad decisions. We needed a high profile manager like Ancelotti from day one of his tenure. Pursuing Marco Silva was an awful decision, and getting Steve Walsh in similarly. There was an arrogant attitude at the club that simply having money will get you success. Well we know now that's not true. Once you've made the number of bad, expensive decisions that we have it takes years to undo and start again. I believe we are now moving in the right direction, and that after 3 or 4 new signings we will be better next season and finish in the top 8. Breaking into the top 6 or 4 will take another couple of years of good signings and shifting the last if the bad buys.

...ah ok.

I suppose some might argue that we’ve improved. More points already than last season, decent run in the cup, won at Anfield, won at Arsenal, Leicester & West Ham etc.

I actually think our problems are lots down to tactics & recruitment. Ancelotti has found a way to win with this group of players. We set our stall out not to concede and bank on us nicking a goal to win 1-0. Trouble is, the margins are so fine we can end up drawing 0-0 or losing 1-0.

At home, we play the same way. We are incapable of taking the game to teams. There is no sustained pressure, we rarely camp out around the opposition area, we rarely get behind the opposition full backs and we rarely have players getting beyond our strikers. Tactics & recruitment, although in this case tactics might be dependent on recruitment as we appear to have only one way of playing, no plan B, no players to introduce who can change things & have a positive impact.

One final point, I do find it alarming & strategically daft when we go into games with two keepers on the bench. Utterly pointless, it might be a real sign of improvement when this stops.

Last edited:

I think a lot of it stems from a lack of discipline from top to bottom. We spend loads on players who don't care about the club. I don't know how this can be changed but from what another poster just typed... Gerrard demanded the best from his team mates, as did Terry and Lampard at Chelsea.. It seems to have become ingrained there now. We don't have winners in the dressing room, we have friendly, funny guys who (as every new player tells us) make it comfortable and easy to settle here. Perhaps we need a real captain, a captain who the players look up to because they have won things and demand the very best. I always presumed it was the managers role but since we've had 4 new ones now and none have been able to change it...god I dunno... Let's only hope Carlo understands the need for discipline and not making players happy. Christ if the wages alone can't make em happy... Pick another job.

I think a lot of it stems from a lack of discipline from top to bottom. We spend loads on players who don't care about the club. I don't know how this can be changed but from what another poster just typed... Gerrard demanded the best from his team mates, as did Terry and Lampard at Chelsea.. It seems to have become ingrained there now. We don't have winners in the dressing room, we have friendly, funny guys who (as every new player tells us) make it comfortable and easy to settle here. Perhaps we need a real captain, a captain who the players look up to because they have won things and demand the very best. I always presumed it was the managers role but since we've had 4 new ones now and none have been able to change it...god I dunno... Let's only hope Carlo understands the need for discipline and not making players happy. Christ if the wages alone can't make em happy... Pick another job.
Buy hungrier players. Either from the lower leagues or players who have the mentality that they hate being beaten. Our lot don't care. But the first criteria on the list should be hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.