2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sell him this summer and get a top class cb.

Am still absolutely furious with that schoolboy error which caused us the game at home vs Villa.

He is also crap in the air and his arial dual ratio is pretty low is it?

Lad made a massive error, but on the main he's been good for us, but he chews gum so he's got a bad attitude and must be sold instantly.

People wonder why every good player we ever have can not wait to leave this club.

Toxic.
Has crap in the air look at his positioning and the way we conceded against Man Utd.

Jesus how fast our players become hate figures and scapegoats, I know he's had poor games this season, but last season he was our next big thing. But it's up to Holgate to prove people wrong and change their perceptions, no one else, I for one still think there's a very good player in there.
No one should made error like that when we are chasing Euro. He caused us and Carlo. The error was unacceptable.

Jesus how fast our players become hate figures and scapegoats, I know he's had poor games this season, but last season he was our next big thing. But it's up to Holgate to prove people wrong and change their perceptions, no one else, I for one still think there's a very good player in there.

Totally agree. He has made mistakes and this one cost us a goal. We got back into the game and the whole team collectively failed. However as you say the ball is now in Holgates court to prove his critics wrong. I would take him out the firing line against West Ham but if we go 3 at the back any games this season he would be back in.

No one should made error like that when we are chasing Euro. He caused us and Carlo. The error was unacceptable.
Was very poor and that is that, with respect mate you can't dwell on one mistake and not forgive someone for it. He hasn't had a good season but players can learn and Holgate has a lot of decent attributes to build on. There have been worse individual mistakes that have caused a goal, Pickford, Liverpool, last minute derby anyone.

Totally agree. He has made mistakes and this one cost us a goal. We got back into the game and the whole team collectively failed. However as you say the ball is now in Holgates court to prove his critics wrong. I would take him out the firing line against West Ham but if we go 3 at the back any games this season he would be back in.
Spot on in my view mate. ;)

Keane cost us the game v Spurs and Palace. If we had 6 extra points we’d be sitting pretty here and no one would be banging on about home performances whatsoever but individual errors have destroyed us this season (including Davies agaisnt Burnley).

That’s why I’ve got some hope for improvement next season. I don’t see anything structurally wrong defensively. Set piece defence is sound, most of our defending from open play is pretty good. It’s individual errors on the ball from poor players not concentrating and then we’ve been punished by some absolutely amazing clinical finishing against us.

Keane cost us the game v Spurs and Palace. If we had 6 extra points we’d be sitting pretty here and no one would be banging on about home performances whatsoever but individual errors have destroyed us this season (including Davies agaisnt Burnley).

That’s why I’ve got some hope for improvement next season. I don’t see anything structurally wrong defensively. Set piece defence is sound, most of our defending from open play is pretty good. It’s individual errors on the ball from poor players not concentrating and then we’ve been punished by some absolutely amazing clinical finishing against us.

I agree with most of this, the only point is it was really only 4 points not 6 that were cost. Come the end of the season, that will likely be the difference between Europa league and CL football though.

...those two games are key because we deserved to win them both (Fulham, Newcastle and Villa we deserved very little). I actually think Holgate was culpable for the 1st Spurs goal and Keane the 2nd.

Regardless, I remain consistent in my view that Holgate isn’t a starter when others are fit, I’m not in the least a Keane fan either, but I have him marginally ahead of Holgate in my pecking order. i like Holgate’s attitude & he can come in & perform, but he does get found out in a run of games.

I agree with most of this, the only point is it was really only 4 points not 6 that were cost. Come the end of the season, that will likely be the difference between Europa league and CL football though.

2 at Spurs, 2 at Palace in my book for definite. I’m not convinced Burnley or Villa beat us if we don’t give them the first goal either. Perhaps one or two more there. There’s always a counter argument of the Leno error for example where we gained two, but for me there’s only so much a manager can do. If the set up means we create chances and limit the opposition to changes then for me rhe manager has done his job. If the strikers then miss chances and the defenders put one on a plate for the opposition then these are player errors. Palace is a perfect example, that was not in any way a bad managerial performance.

With holgate... It's a similar scenario to Pickford. Mistakes happen, it's the manner of the mistakes - cockiness and arrogance - isn't a good look.

Like the time stones told the park end to calm down ..... If he actually took a bit of a learning from that it may have saved him from near ending up on the scrap head. Instead he became the focal point - the weak link for teams to focus on when facing city. It's took the signing of a world class centre half to sort him out.

Too many of these players we have tend to get above their stations for us.

With holgate... It's a similar scenario to Pickford. Mistakes happen, it's the manner of the mistakes - cockiness and arrogance - isn't a good look.

Like the time stones told the park end to calm down ..... If he actually took a bit of a learning from that it may have saved him from near ending up on the scrap head. Instead he became the focal point - the weak link for teams to focus on when facing city. It's took the signing of a world class centre half to sort him out.

Too many of these players we have tend to get above their stations for us.

Mistakes do happen, but Holgate should have turned and hoof the ball upfield, got to rid of this pass back syndrome with him and others.

I think Mason has some credit in the bank because in the past he has played well for us. Last season under Carlo it was Holgate plus one at the back and people were talking about him as a future captain and England player. He’s in bad form no doubt about it but I think there’s still a very decent player in there who is perfect for a squad to cover multiple positions. I don’t see anything of use in Keane Davies Siggurdson but Holgate is just in bad form for me.

Next season Carlo needs to decide who his starting pairing is. If it’s Holgate and Godfrey then keep playing them. Godfrey and Mina then play them. For me Keane can’t be in there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.