2020/21 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not negative, just honest opinion. Some players just don't make a good coach. Seen nothing from him to suggest he would, you clearly disagree

....difficult to determine if a player will make a good coach or not. Easier to determine if a person will make a good coach or not. SAF very ordinary footballer. Arsene Wenger not even a very ordinary footballer. Catterick average footballer.

Bobby Charlton great player, poor manager. Lots of examples.

I hear people saying how highly respected Coleman is at club and particularly at international level. Ancelotti has singled him out as a future Manager and is often confiding in him. Top professional. Those qualities give him a chance.

....difficult to determine if a player will make a good coach or not. Easier to determine if a person will make a good coach or not. SAF very ordinary footballer. Arsene Wenger not even a very ordinary footballer. Catterick average footballer.

Bobby Charlton great player, poor manager. Lots of examples.

I hear people saying how highly respected Coleman is at club and particularly at international level. Ancelotti has singled him out as a future Manager and is often confiding in him. Top professional. Those qualities give him a chance.

Of course it's all hypothetical when the player in question has never coached. He could prove me entirely wrong. He just doesn't strike me as a coach though. Since you have used them both in ur analogy, does he strike you as a coach like Ferguson who had the passion and fear factor or the clear football brain of Wenger?

Of course it's all hypothetical when the player in question has never coached. He could prove me entirely wrong. He just doesn't strike me as a coach though. Since you have used them both in ur analogy, does he strike you as a coach like Ferguson who had the passion and fear factor or the clear football brain of Wenger?
We live in a world where Lee Bowyer is a football manager.

C'est incroyable!

.....he strikes me as a real thinker about the game (described so by Ancelotti), not as abrasive as Ferguson but certainly the type with a determination to be a success in whatever he turned his hand to.

He’s a natural leader, apparently a key figure in the Irish international set up. He’s certainly manager material but I have no idea if he wants to go down that route or how successful he’d be.

.....he strikes me as a real thinker about the game (described so by Ancelotti), not as abrasive as Ferguson but certainly the type with a determination to be a success in whatever he turned his hand to.

He’s a natural leader, apparently a key figure in the Irish international set up. He’s certainly manager material but I have no idea if he wants to go down that route or how successful he’d be.

We see 2 very different versions of the same person. Time will tell but for me he is one of the weakest captains we have had in terms of leadership. He couldnt even tell Richarlison to get out of the way and let our 2 fk takers do their job

We see 2 very different versions of the same person. Time will tell but for me he is one of the weakest captains we have had in terms of leadership. He couldnt even tell Richarlison to get out of the way and let our 2 fk takers do their job

....too much is made of that incident just as too many think captains should roll their sleeves up and go around the pitch shouting at teammates, the opposition & referees. Our most successful captains (Labone & Ratcliffe) were not in the least voiciferous, were not in the least intrusive on the pitch.

Just like them, Coleman has the clear respect of his teammates. I’m sure his views and input is much appreciated and considered. Fans will not necessarily notice an effective captain, his colleagues and manager will.

Again mate, you asked @Eggs and he's given you an answer, what do you think are the qualities that makes a footballer potentially a good coach.

my fellow Everton fans, how sealed is Coleman’s RB spot until the end of the season? (asking for my EPL team)

my fellow Everton fans, how sealed is Coleman’s RB spot until the end of the season? (asking for my EPL team)

Ehhh.. he’s definitely our starting RB and we don’t have a natural backup. But with the remaining 6 fixtures coming thick and fast, Carlo liking to tinker, and him being older and therefore it’s tougher to play 90min every game, I suspect he’ll probably start 4 or 5 of the remaining 6. Godfrey or Holgate would come in (which happened last week vs. Spurs)

Vying slightly off topic, but what Ferguson clearly has is a real presence. Everyone talks about it. Even Alan Shearer, who is a legend of the game, speaks about the way Ferguson handled himself. Neville Southall, who is a very tough judge says much the same.

For a guy who doesnt give interviews I thought he always communicated very well to interviewers. It's the sort of quality you cant really train.

I happen to think Sigurdsson will become a manager. He seems a thoughtful and intelligent player, who has really made the best of himself with certain limitations to his game.

Back to Coleman, he seems to have a humility and again is a decent thinker and talker. I know people talk about wanting the best coaches and I get that, but actually sometimes life is about finding the right fit too and maintaining continuity. You get the sense Ancelotti, like a lot of good managers wants to keep good people around him. I could see Coleman and Sigurdsson being wanted to remain on our coaching staff by Carlo.

I also think, as a club we should be open to this continuity. Where opening occur looking for the best to supplement this.

I could see Coleman being a good coach, and an excellent role model though. A bit like what Cahill is doing now, who's another who just screams a naturally good coach. I'm glad we have got guys like that, who clearly have an affinity for the club involved.

Already answered. A good footballing brain and articulate or someone passionate who the players will run through a brick wall for. Coleman is neither
In what way is he not articulate? of course he's got a good footballing brain, he wouldn't get to be captain of his club and country if he hadn't and as for the players not playing for him we're in the best position we've been in for years, you appear to have a massive downer on him and your arguments don't stand up to scrutiny and whilst he doesn't have the stamina he used to and we should be looking at getting somebody in to replace him he's still our best option at right back/wing back and a player which half the teams in the Premiership would covet.
When was the last time you posted without having a moan? cheer up and get behind the team, we still have a lot to play for.

In what way is he not articulate? of course he's got a good footballing brain, he wouldn't get to be captain of his club and country if he hadn't and as for the players not playing for him we're in the best position we've been in for years, you appear to have a massive downer on him and your arguments don't stand up to scrutiny and whilst he doesn't have the stamina he used to and we should be looking at getting somebody in to replace him he's still our best option at right back/wing back and a player which half the teams in the Premiership would covet.
When was the last time you posted without having a moan? cheer up and get behind the team, we still have a lot to play for.

Not getting into arguments over a hypothetical. Some think like you, I don't. Some of the stuff you wrote is mind blowing

He is a very intelligent guy, aware of his place in the scheme of things.
Already answered. A good footballing brain and articulate or someone passionate who the players will run through a brick wall for. Coleman is neither
Hes actually both.

He also has great man management potential. He gave a great presser with Ireland a few weeks ago when Shane Duffy had been getting abuse from Celtic fans for poor form - its on youtube somewhere but it gave a real snapshot of why he is universaly popular with fellow pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.