New Everton Stadium Discussion

This situation reminds me of the ‘Kerry Packer’ events in cricket, in the late 70’s. Packer set up a ‘World Series cricket’ competition because his channel 9 tv company could not get broadcasting rights from the Australian cricket board.
It was a costly battle, with the players who signed up for Packer being banned from test cricket and both sides being financially hurt. Eventually, after 3 years a compromise was reached and Packer agreed a deal for tv rights with the Australian cricket board. International sanctions were still kept against the players who had signed up with Packer for a couple of more years.
It was a sorry story, which changed the face of international cricket for ever. Let’s hope that all parties involved in this current situation remember this turmoil and reach some kind of compromise.
Great example Roy, it did have a massive impact on World cricket but I don't think the likes of the Yanks in charge of the RS and Man U would know about it never mind care, it is no coincidence though that the common denominator for the two stories is the root of all evil money and greed.

It doesn’t harm US sport though.
Players will follow the money.

To stop it, they will somehow have to be hit financially without destroying the domestic competitions.
It doesn’t harm it but it doesn’t help it either. US sports are confined basically to the US. They’ve not got anything like the global reach of football.

Excuse my optimism but I'm 100% sure it will still go ahead. No way this wasn't discussed as a possibility and factored in. It's going to be built - vault me, bedwetters.

No bedwetting from me. This could change football completely, so I'm just open to the possibility of our finances taking a hit. I'm perfectly comfortable with whatever turns out regarding the stadium. It's better to have to stay at Goodison but keep some dignity than the playing in a farcical closed shop league with a new shiny stadium.

It's far too early to know what will happen though, it's all completely hypothetical at this time.

No bedwetting from me. This could change football completely, so I'm just open to the possibility of our finances taking a hit. I'm perfectly comfortable with whatever turns out regarding the stadium. It's better to have to stay at Goodison but keep some dignity than the playing in a farcical closed shop league with a new shiny stadium.

It's far too early to know what will happen though, it's all completely hypothetical at this time.
No offence meant. But Im 100% this has been factored in. Cost v constantly upgrading Goodison v cost of spanky new stadium.
And tbh we could do a Sunderland and still fill a 50k+ stadium.

Some astonishingly naive takes in here. I have no idea if the superleague will go ahead but if it does, it will have an enormous effect on both our finances and our ambitions. I think some people have got their heads in the sand.
Exactly. Even if it doesn’t go ahead, it is about positioning for a money grab and we are excluded.
We will fall even further to behind.
I would rather close the club than watch death by a thousand cuts.

More than hope.

The TV money was never paying for the stadium, if that was the case then there wouldn't be a requirement to have a new stadium as it would be a drain on resources - not a help. Ask yourself are Everton fans going to stop going to games when they are competing for the league with the other teams gone? Are they heck and that is worst case scenario. These teams are not going to be expelled from the PL causing the TV money to drop, they are just posturing to wring out more favourable terms for themselves.

More than hope.

The TV money was never paying for the stadium, if that was the case then there wouldn't be a requirement to have a new stadium as it would be a drain on resources - not a help. Ask yourself are Everton fans going to stop going to games when they are competing for the league with the other teams gone? Are they heck and that is worst case scenario. These teams are not going to be expelled from the PL causing the TV money to drop, they are just posturing to wring out more favourable terms for themselves.
Or they will set it up and wrestle control from UEFA. The key is that they want to keep competing domestically, for now, until it is a pain like the league cup.

More than hope.

The tv money was absolutely paying for the stadium, in as much as it’s the major asset that allows us to get a loan of close to half a billion

These clubs need to be expelled from the English leagues irrespective of the financial fall out.

If this goes ahead it will completely undermine and cause about the slow death of the football ethos of promotion and relegation, the concept of meritocracy......football dies anyway.

If they do this then the league should pull the trigger on them

These clubs need to be expelled from the English leagues irrespective of the financial fall out.

If this goes ahead it will completely undermine and cause about the slow death of the football ethos of promotion and relegation, the concept of meritocracy......football dies anyway.

If they do this then the league should pull the trigger on them
Football has been dead for years tbh. the problem is if this goes ahead then pretty much all international revenue will disappear from our league I should think. Nobody will be paying TV money internationally to watch what's left in the UK and therefore the only revenue we will be receiving will be gate receipts and a few extras. I mean that's a complete guess from me.