Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of what you say and there are certainly many things beyond Carlo’s control, but I’d be interested to understand what, if anything, you would be critical of him for?

After all, he’s 18 months into a job. He took over a team that had finished 7th, 8th and 8th in the 3 seasons prior. A squad that, although disjointed, had certainly received heavy investment and lots of potential. Most would forgive him the 12th place finish last year, he’s had another £60 odd million to play with this year and many had expectations of a top six / seven finish.

That still isn’t impossible, or even unlikely but I agree with a lot of what you say and it would be interesting if you feel the manager has got it wrong too?
He has made some mistakes yes. I didnt like the Coleman sub today. I really really didnt like the lineup picked against Fulham. I really don't like 3 at the back.

Of course he has got some things wrong. That goes without saying. But I want to give him a really long time here to help set us on the right path.

We have two main problems right now...

1) The club are used to losing and are content with second best
2) The squad is not good enough, has lots of gaps, and lacks energy.

We have a squad who lack energy, belief and quality. And then we have constant midfield injuries which are holding us back. These are lots of the same players who didn't perform under other managers and I won't forget that.

We make too many errors. Just look at tonight for that. How can you legislate for such abject finishing and then the inevitable defensive error. That game was just so Everton 2014-2021. So many players making mistakes just when the game is there for the taking. I'm not sure where we go from here because the players we need to improve might not be available for a team in our position.

Apologies for the negativity but I feel a bit deflated this season. There are lots of good things, but we cant push on when the opportunity is there. We just aren't as good as we need to be or any of us hoped we would be.

Have to agree with @ToffeeTim here....and I hate to think it but I definitely see a drop off in work rate from DCL since he’s become lauded as our ‘main man’ and ‘Harry Kane back-up’ for the National side. Seems like he’s fully believing the hype and considering he’s made it.
Not saying he’s a bad player at all but I do doubt that he’s working as hard as he was 6 months ago.

He missed 2 huge chances and thats the main issue. If he scores one of those then no one complains.

As it turned out, we were hanging on for a 1 nil due to missed opportunities (not just by Dom though). There was a loose ball on halfway where Dom had 2 or 3 opportunities to get it under control and relieve the pressure. He was massive favourite for the loose ball but lost two challenges and allowed Palace to sustain the attack. 20 seconds later it was 1 - 1.

That was my main problem today. He shouldn't be missing chances like that but it happens, and has happened to better players than DCL. What I struggle to accept is losing challenges and failing to win easy second balls when the defence needs respite.

I like Dom a lot and it hurts me to have to criticise him, but we need him to step up in the big moments.

We look scared we never just go for it. We look scared of losing. We can't handle pressure. No coincidence we win games when the pressure is off.

But the squad keeps getting changed and changed.

I'm sorry mate, I'm not having that carlo is blameless. He's making mistakes, bad ones. Needs to do better. Just like DCL and Richarlison need to go and score those chances.

Why do we have no way of attacking if James isn't playing? Why is he thinking it's sensible to put Keane man-marking Zaha? Why is he putting five at the back and 4 in midfield with loads of players out of position at home to Palace? Why do we have absolutely no ability to hold onto the ball? Why can't we play through midfield?

I know we need better players. But Carlo is at fault too.

I've never said he hasn't made mistakes, of course he has made some. I just dont think he is the main reason for our poor performances.

The main reason IMO is the players, especially those who have been here for several years, and especially the midfield players who lack quality and aggression.

You also cant underestimate the stale losing mentality that infiltrates the club from top to bottom. This is going to take a while to resolve and won't be fixed until the squad is completely overhauled with energetic players who aren't used to losing.

Of course the manager can do better but he's the least of my concerns. I want him here as long as possible and I want a proper squad rebuild. That starts by letting about a dozen leave the club right now this summer. No sentimentality and third and fourth chances.

We look scared we never just go for it. We look scared of losing. We can't handle pressure. No coincidence we win games when the pressure is off.
I’m sounding like a broken record, but I’ll come back to it again. I think the majority of our problems stem from the midfield. Let’s be honest there’s only Allan with the quality and composure on the ball to play in a champions league side. We have no control in that area of the pitch. Gomes and Siguardisson don’t have the legs, Davies tries but doesn’t have the confidence to receive the ball under pressure and Doucoure has the legs to get about the pitch, but isn’t good enough on the ball. Until we control the ball in the middle of the park, we will always struggle to make Europe. I am sick of seeing lower half of the table teams playing through or around our midfield.

We are all Evertonians here (probably). Is anyone really surprised that we failed to win today when the chips were down? I know i wasn't. Its the lot of an Evertonian unfortunately.

We are all Evertonians here (probably). Is anyone really surprised that we failed to win today when the chips were down? I know i wasn't. Its the lot of an Evertonian unfortunately.
anyone who was surprised has not been paying attention: Everton is the flakiest team in the PL. Today was archetypal 'Everton that'. Once upon a time it exasperated me, but nowadays it's become somewhat humorous to me just how brittle a mentality the club instills in its players (though, to be fair, I have always enjoyed a somewhat mordant, sardonic sense of humour).
The good news? ...Blue Chrimbo is only eight and a bit months away...and our lads always get right into the Yuletide spirit and will make us all right proud.

NSNO (lol)

Exactly! This is the ultimate number 1 problem, we, as fans, almost expected this today, almost an inevitability about it, why? its been like this for a long time though and I just genuinely hope that given time Carlo can reverse this mentality - if he can't then who can?

Board have a part to play also

I only watched the 20 minute mini-match, but from what I saw, we created plenty of chances and should have scored more than one goal. Their goalie made some great saves, and our forwards should have done better with some of them.
A very frustrating game and another 2 points dropped.
The only good thing from this weekend is several other teams around us also dropped points, so we didn't lose too much ground in the race for Europe.

Richy and especially DCL need to work on their finishing this week. That simply was not good enough from either of them on their shooting. That cost us two points today. This game should have been 3-1 and an easy win considering our opportunities. TBH I don't blame Carlo at all for this loss.

Richy and especially DCL need to work on their finishing this week. That simply was not good enough from either of them on their shooting. That cost us two points today. This game should have been 3-1 and an easy win considering our opportunities. TBH I don't blame Carlo at all for this loss.
The play in the final third was nothing short of disgraceful tonight. I know these things happen in football but it’s bitterly disappointing that we can’t seem to take advantage when teams around us slip up. The squad depth was abysmal to begin with before Allan and Doucoure were injured so I guess It’s no surprise we’re struggling at times.

....thought James was treading water & they were running past him too easily.

I actually thought both substitutions were understandable.
What! Bringing a guy on who hasn't played for two years when you're in the most important time of a very important match. Understandable? Jesus. Totally inexplicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.