Dixie Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
He quite simply is THE football player of the pre-World War Two period. The greatest player and legend ever produced in the first 60 odd years of professional football in the land that gave the world the game. And you cant even think of another name that comes close.
I agree with this, I consider myself something of an amateur football historian, to the extent that I enjoy reading about the history of the game and have collected about 1,000 DVDs of old matches, highlights, etc, going back to the 1880s. I'm a nerd, basically. Your reference to Babe Ruth is utterly appropriate. Dixie is very much the pre-eminent British player of the first half of the 20th century. He is the embodiment of the term "legend". It's no coincidence that the famous Tiger/Roy of the Rovers comic strip story "Billy's Boots" is essentially a take on the legend of William Ralph "Dixie" Dean. The boy of the story is called Billy Dane - "Billy" being affectionate shorthand for "William" and "Dane" an anagram for Dean. What's more, the legend from the past whose magical boots Billy finds and transforms him into a goal machine was called Dead Shot "Keen", which, naturally, rhymes with Dean.

Everton's early history is almost synonymous with the history of football itself. The club has so many firsts that are landmarks in the world game. Dean was quite arguably the first true legend of world football. The club, and English football as a whole, does not make enough of him. His goalscoring exploits mean his status matches that of other heroic legends like Gerd Müller. The word "icon" is bandied about these days, but Dixie is unquestionably an icon of world football and his story the very definition of legendary. We'd do far worse than name the new stadium after him. Other clubs would kill for a brand like that. We should be smothering ourselves in it.

I agree with this, I consider myself something of an amateur football historian, to the extent that I enjoy reading about the history of the game and have collected about 1,000 DVDs of old matches, highlights, etc. I'm a nerd, basically. Your reference to Babe Ruth is utterly appropriate. Dixie is very much the pre-eminent British player of the first half of the 20th century. He is the embodiment of the term "legend". It's no coincidence that the famous Tiger/Roy of the Rovers comic strip story "Billy's Boots" is essentially a take on the legend of William Ralph "Dixie" Dean. The boy of the story is called Billy Dane - "Billy" being affectionate shorthand for "William" and "Dane" an anagram for Dean. What's more, the legend from the past whose magical boots Billy finds and transforms him into a goal machine was called Dead Shot "Keen", which, naturally, rhymes with Dean.

Everton's early history is almost synonymous with the history of football itself. The club has so many firsts that are landmarks in the world game. Dean was quite arguably the first true legend of world football. The club, and English football as a whole, does not make enough of him. His goalscoring exploits mean his status matches that of other heroic legends like Gerd Müller. The word "icon" is bandied about these days, but Dixie is unquestionably an icon of world football and his story the very definition of legendary. We'd do far worse than name the new stadium after him. Other clubs would kill for a brand like that. We should be smothering ourselves in it.

I agree with all this post, except not this bit - I think having a history like that, with so many firsts, requires attention to be paid to all of it rather than just the bits that are (in his case) legendary.

Doing it that way makes things - Goodison Park and the No.9 shirt to use the most obvious examples - legendary in I think a greater way than any individual could be, precisely because they are associated with so many great players, events and memories footballing and personal. Of course this makes the brand more difficult to sell / explain, but I think it will prove to be a lot more permanent and have more value than any player (even him). We do put some of that at risk by moving, but I think that can be minimized with effort to make the new ground as much like Goodison on its best days as possible, rather than a comfortable corporate place to view football.

I agree with most but Dalglish was the best player the reds ever had and I saw him many times ,he should be mentioned with the best .
Many people forget that Dixie's record was nearly beaten by Terry Paine ,he got 59 ,we have to be fair ,if we are who we are .
I have seen Everton fans hailed as the most knowledgeable ,if that is true a shout for both Paine and the other fella .
I concur Bally was overlooked in the world cup final aftermath but the one who matters is Harry who signed the best player I have ever seen in an Everton shirt the one and only Alan Ball .

Never seen him, only ever in Anfield twice, once with mates when I was 14, did not any better and that time we beat them and Moggsy ran Smith ragged. I said then to myself never again set foot in there.

His official record is 16 caps, 18 goals. I presume those stats must count non sanctioned matches?
Do you know he played some of his England internationals as Everton kicked off at the same time like all the other clubs had to make do without their star players on international duties for selling expenses plus about £2 not for the honour too...
Dixie missed games in his 60 goal season of us yet still beat the record........
Incredible feat .....

I agree with this, I consider myself something of an amateur football historian, to the extent that I enjoy reading about the history of the game and have collected about 1,000 DVDs of old matches, highlights, etc, going back to the 1880s. I'm a nerd, basically. Your reference to Babe Ruth is utterly appropriate. Dixie is very much the pre-eminent British player of the first half of the 20th century. He is the embodiment of the term "legend". It's no coincidence that the famous Tiger/Roy of the Rovers comic strip story "Billy's Boots" is essentially a take on the legend of William Ralph "Dixie" Dean. The boy of the story is called Billy Dane - "Billy" being affectionate shorthand for "William" and "Dane" an anagram for Dean. What's more, the legend from the past whose magical boots Billy finds and transforms him into a goal machine was called Dead Shot "Keen", which, naturally, rhymes with Dean.

Certainly one of the stands at least?

"We'd do far worse than name the new stadium after him. Other clubs would kill for a brand like that. We should be smothering ourselves in it."

I've said this myself, mate.

I know the revenues that come from naming rights, but IMO we'd be missing a chance to cement ourselves deeper into global football prominence failing to name it after a legend.

The clubs on the continent realise this and name their homes after greats.

"We'd do far worse than name the new stadium after him. Other clubs would kill for a brand like that. We should be smothering ourselves in it."

I know the revenues that come from naming rights, but IMO we'd be missing a chance to cement ourselves deeper into global football prominence failing to name it after a legend.

I am not against the idea, but other than Napoli (recently) calling theirs after Diego, I am struggling with another one. Cruyff maybe at Ajax?

I am not against the idea, but other than Napoli (recently) calling theirs after Diego, I am struggling with another one. Cruyff maybe at Ajax?
Madrid's Bernabeu and Inter/ ACs Stadio Giuseppe Meazza for two.

Yup, there's the Johan Cruyff Arena, Puskas Arena, and Estadio Diego Armando Maradona among others. Levski Sofia have the Stadion Vivacom Arena - Georgi Asparuhov. And the San Siro is, as mentioned, the Meazza stadium. Moving from Goodison should not mean abandoning our past. We need to keep the link strong. There's nothing to stop the naming rights working in conjunction with the stadium name. USM Dixie Dean Park springs to mind...

Brazil are renaming the Maracana after their greatest: the Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Rei Pele stadium.

Yup, there's the Johan Cruyff Arena, Puskas Arena, and Estadio Diego Armando Maradona among others. Levski Sofia have the Stadion Vivacom Arena - Georgi Asparuhov. And the San Siro is, as mentioned, the Meazza stadium. Moving from Goodison should not mean abandoning our past. We need to keep the link strong. There's nothing to stop the naming rights working in conjunction with the stadium name. USM Dixie Dean Park springs to mind...

Brazil are renaming the Maracana after their greatest: the Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Rei Pele stadium.
It can and should be done.

Imagine it just being the *insert corporate name* Stadium.

What a waste of a chance and what a waste of a world class location.

Be sure though that this club will balls this up and do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.