Dixie Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton fan in peace. Hope you don't mind me posting on here. I've had a bee in my bonnet the last few days about Son & Kane partnership being described as the most successful striker partnership in English football. Football started in 1882 and I wish English football would acknowledge that. The most successful partnership ever were your boys: Alec Troup, Dixie Dean, Edward Critchley. 76 league goals in 27/28. I posted as much on social media and I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from Dixie Dean's grand-daughter, Melanie Prentice, who shares my frustration at the lack of respect paid to her Grandad's amazing achievement. Melanie's also posted a photo of what I presume is an official record of his career too. Here's the post from our conversation.

I reckon there's a lot of fans that feel the same way (Preston's Tom Finney, Blackpool's Mortensen, Wolves with Billy Wright etc) and maybe we could organise a petition to get media and pundits to stop using 1992 as their starting point and go back to when it really began in 1882. And if you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, please say and I'll try to stop getting wound up by it! Cheers.

We're on the same song sheet here. Bet your life that if man u, Liverpool, Chelsea or City had achieved much in the 50s or earlier, the sky led media would be all over spouting history, just to big up its brand names for selling to the armchair.

To me football died in 92 once they turned their back on over a century of accomplishments. What we have now is like WWF just to acquire money from the armchair. Give me a time machine and I'd be nowhere near the prem pantomime.

We are VERY proud of Dean. His exploits put him up there in world football history.

'Dixie' (though he hated it) is as well known as Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Eusebio..

His legend though is more akin to 'The Babe' in baseball or Rod'the rocket'Laver in tennis - a touchstone name that immediately brings the past to life.

He was a mixed race player also, and that is also a matter for pride in Everton.

When are BT or Sky or ESPN or Netflix or Prime ever going to get around to making a full length documentary in honour of this giant of football. If he'd played for United or Liverpool or Arsenal you KNOW there's be one by now.

His life story crashing motorbikes into galss windows and telling nazi's to 'koff and dealing with racism would put any of the insipid documentaries they make about the modern day players in the shade.

A great injustice this one. That ball bag Kenwright with his entertainment industry connections should have had that well sorted.

Southall, Labone, Ball, Dean. Probably some of the greatest players in their positions (in Ball and Dean’s case THE greatest players) in British football history of all time yet kids today probably don’t even know or care who they are.

We're on the same song sheet here. Bet your life that if man u, Liverpool, Chelsea or City had achieved much in the 50s or earlier, the sky led media would be all over spouting history, just to big up its brand names for selling to the armchair.

To me football died in 92 once they turned their back on over a century of accomplishments. What we have now is like WWF just to acquire money from the armchair. Give me a time machine and I'd be nowhere near the prem pantomime.
You just beat me to that mate.

I always image there were a load of great players who played for other clubs around Dixie’s era that will have never been heard of by today’s football fans, only by those of the clubs they played for.

I bet you most people know who all of Man Utd’s and Liverpool’s legends are though... it’s constantly forced down people’s throats from Sky & the like who think they invented football.

Southall, Labone, Ball, Dean. Probably some of the greatest players in their positions (in Ball and Dean’s case THE greatest players) in British football history of all time yet kids today probably don’t even know or care who they are.
He quite simply is THE football player of the pre-World War Two period. The greatest player and legend ever produced in the first 60 odd years of professional football in the land that gave the world the game. And you cant even think of another name that comes close.

He quite simply is THE football player of the pre-World War Two period. The greatest player and legend ever produced in the first 60 odd years of professional football in the land that gave the world the game. And you cant even think of another name that comes close.

In my mind Ball is the greatest English midfielder of all time, and Dean is the greatest forward. Yet you’d think one was an ex Arsenal bit part player and the other was a mythical comic book legend going ok today’s media. Ball orchestrated the World Cup final ffs get most people don’t know he even played.

Meanwhile we get inundated with never ending stories of how good Duncan Edwards was, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore Kenny Dalglish. Yeah they’re all great players but why aren’t Ball and Dean spoken about in that company? Because their names don’t attract a baying mob of Liverpool or United fans to click away.

In my mind Ball is the greatest English midfielder of all time, and Dean is the greatest forward. Yet you’d think one was an ex Arsenal bit part player and the other was a mythical comic book legend going ok today’s media. Ball orchestrated the World Cup final ffs get most people don’t know he even played.

Meanwhile we get inundated with never ending stories of how good Duncan Edwards was, George Best, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore Kenny Dalglish. Yeah they’re all great players but why aren’t Ball and Dean spoken about in that company? Because their names don’t attract a baying mob of Liverpool or United fans to click away.
I also blame this club. They have always been rank at getting the club's profile up there. Always more fond of pushing some line about 'tradition' or else latterly a 'community hub'...all well and good, but we ARE an extant organisation who's core activity is to win trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.