Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so confused about the new European competition, we’ve now got champions league, Europa league and Europa Conference???

It's basically a compromise to keep the bigger clubs happy, as more and more are ending up in the EL, and they don't want to start their season in July and play 6 qualifiers.

Basically eliminates any fodder from the Europa League. The top nations England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy all get two berths. Then Portugal, Russia, Netherlands, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey, Austria, Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Scotland all get one berth.

The rest is eventually made up of sides knocked out the play off round for the Champions League.

All other nations go into the Conference League (Europa League 3rd place also goes into Conference League after Group).

If we won’t get top 4, I think Europa League is a definite, we won’t drop into Conference League positions. We have a lot of winnable fixtures remaining to avoid that, but I am not ruling out top 4 despite last night’s disappointment.

I always try and be a realist. Maybe it’s my old age

last night I didn’t expect anything. It’s now how we react. The next three games must bring a minimum of 7 points. If they do I believe we will nearly be there for Europe. I’m happy to take Europa league for 2 years, give the lads some experience and attract players and then make the jump to champions league. There is no way this team is ready for CL. Imagine Iwobi and Bernie terrorising at Madrid Munich Paris etc.
5th is Europa
6th is Europa If city win the league cup
7th is Europa with the FA cup winners which is likely to be one of the top 6
So we need to stay 7th and above. End of

The target has to be to win the next three. The league could look a lot different by then and we might only need a few more wins to guarantee Europe. It will be difficult as every game is so hard and we’re crippled with injuries yet again, but if we can get back on a run then there’s still a lot of opportunity for us.

We have a great chance of europa qualification, champions league id be stunned if we got 4th. But even if a miracle happened I do think it would be a year to early for us, but obviously I wouldn’t complain.

I always try and be a realist. Maybe it’s my old age

last night I didn’t expect anything. It’s now how we react. The next three games must bring a minimum of 7 points. If they do I believe we will nearly be there for Europe. I’m happy to take Europa league for 2 years, give the lads some experience and attract players and then make the jump to champions league. There is no way this team is ready for CL. Imagine Iwobi and Bernie terrorising at Madrid Munich Paris etc.
5th is Europa
6th is Europa If city win the league cup
7th is Europa with the FA cup winners which is likely to be one of the top 6
So we need to stay 7th and above. End of

Clear Gaffa - what is the Europa conference positions then, im yet to see it explained clearly?

It feels like another Intertoto Cup, and we all know how that pointless shindig ended up......

Trophy is a trophy at the end of the day mate. Ultimately, it won't really have any impact on us (if we end up in it), until the new year anyway, as surely the lesser players could play in what would be an extremely watered down group.

Clear Gaffa - what is the Europa conference positions then, im yet to see it explained clearly?

7th.

The maximum amount of teams who qualify from any federation is 7.

For Premier League that is comprised of.

1-4 Champions League (+1 if EL winner or CL winner hasn't qualified for CL through league placing).
5-6 Europa League (Now streamlined, with less games - exact same format as CL now)
7 Europa Conference League (Same format as EL and CL - with exception of 2nd placed team playing a playoff against EL dropouts - after group.

Absolutely no qualifying matches for any English side.

FA Cup winner gets Europa League
League Cup winner gets conference league.

Bored in work so decided to look at the remaining fixtures of the teams around us
And trying to be impartial lol and giving a final points table
All the ones we play ie West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal I’ve said 3 draws.
so the final table
City
Utd 78
Chelsea 74
Leicester 68
Liverpool 66
Spurs 63
West Ham 63
Arsenal 60

so I think 70 points which will be tough to get, is top 4. And mid 60’s should get Europa league
From my calculations lol

Bored in work so decided to look at the remaining fixtures of the teams around us
And trying to be impartial lol and giving a final points table
All the ones we play ie West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal I’ve said 3 draws.
so the final table
City
Utd 78
Chelsea 74
Leicester 68
Liverpool 66
Spurs 63
West Ham 63
Arsenal 60

so I think 70 points which will be tough to get, is top 4. And mid 60’s should get Europa league
From my calculations lol
I did the same - came out v similar, had this as the final table...This was before the most recent game week.

City - 94
Chelsea - 74
United - 72
Leicester - 69
Everton - 68
Tottenham - 67
Liverpool - 66
West Ham - 63
Arsenal - 62

I did the same - came out v similar, had this as the final table...This was before the most recent game week.

City - 94
Chelsea - 74
United - 72
Leicester - 69
Everton - 68
Tottenham - 67
Liverpool - 66
West Ham - 63
Arsenal - 62
Yes some of the teams have got tough run in a like West Ham, while Liverpool’s is easier

Looking at ours to get to 70points. We would need to win these 5 home games
Villa
Burnley
Palace
Sheffield utd
Wolves
Brighton away

then 6 points from
Spurs home

Villa
City
West Ham
Arsenal
Away

huge ask really. We need James, Mina, Coleman back ASAP and Doucoure to only miss a few games to have any chance. Some of them teams still have Europe, amd domestic cup games so that could effect things with the extra games

I think there's also a really farfetched example where 5th might not get Europe

• Spurs win CC
  • Arsenal Win EL/Liverpool Win CL
  • Non-European qualified team win FA Cup (Southampton, Sheffield Utd or Bournemouth)
Farfetched I know, but still possible. In the even that Liverpool and Arsenal finish outside European places, and win both both trophies, then 4th would also miss out on Europe lol Imagine finishing 4th and not qualifying for Europe lol

No I think 4th would get Europa League, and 5th wouldn’t get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.