Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we played as well as cou be expected given the players on the pitch. We don’t have enough depth to cover some positions or give some players a rest.
I thought Chelsea played us very well, kept the ball, moved it well and used the width of the pitch. The two goals were poorly defended and will disappoint all concerned.
Need to bounce bask against Burnley.

Those two points actually contradict each other.

Attacking systems and shapes can be worked on with Sunday league players, mate. We look next to clueless unless it's from knockdowns and a quick pass.

You're an intelligent person mate, I know full well you know what I am getting at even if the first 10-15 words are worded poorly. We're 5th, through playing through a defence's strengths. CA is making the most of what he has in midfield, he's getting us results through his intelligence and experience.

I know exactly what you mean with regards to us being unambitious (check my recent posts throughout the game if you like...). I just think we, like CA, isn't expecting Davies, gomes, docoure, siggy, iwobi, bernard to suddenly be sharp on the ball, smart in their movement, accurate with their passing and decisive. None of them have shown any of that in their careers. That is what I am getting at. We could be more expansive but we'd also ship more. You said in another post that we have the tools to do it? That is where i'd disagree with you.

I find it frustrating too, but if you asked me CA would steady the ship, have us battling for 4th (even if we know it's not gonna happen long-term, I'd rather aim for 4th and get EL, then aim for EL and fall short) we would have all accepted some cons of it, no?

We are playing the long game here, wont always be pretty like it was at the start, wont always be ugly like it has been recently. However we're 5th, 29 points away from home on the board (quite possibly the most in my lifetime?).

Things arent perfect, things have to improve long-term but ultimately we are in a good position.

As nice as it would be to get into the Champions League if we got there this season I may be a year to early. If we can get Europa and a summer of signing like last summer we would be much better set up for a top 4 challenge.
It's a pity Chelsea came back on a run recently otherwise we might have had a a chance to sneak in. Arsenal, spurs, koppites will be all gung ho next season for more competition but as you say we aren't there yet

Just a game too far for us today, didn't think we had a prayer the moment Doucoure was revealed to be out.

Still, we limited them to very chances until the game got stretched and we once again looked very organised except for a couple of defensive lapses with not following runners which ultimately cost us in the end. We obviously didn't create anything ourselves of note but had Richarlison's control been more assured we'd definitely have been in a couple of times.

I'd be very tempted to start King in a front 3 against Burnley if James isn't fit. Iwobi has been absolutely putrid the last couple of matches on the right hand side and I thought King was very willing runner when he came on tonight. Hopefully Davies is fit to start as well because Gomes is rank.

I think Chelsea have nicked Liverpool’s inhalers. Fitness levels have gone through the roof since Tuchel went there.

If they played like this all season they'd be competing for the league. They were very good today.

Some people are saying an "own goal and a penalty" but that flatters us. They carved us open more than I've seen anyone do in a long time. Pickford kept the scoreline respectable.

Outclassed today which is no shame. Doucoure and Hamez would have made us more competitive but it still would have been a tough game.

11 more games left and still in with a good chance of 4th. Lots to be optimistic about.
This says everything I wanted to say.

So I'll just add Pickford mOM

Status
Not open for further replies.