2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff about him not tracking back or putting a defensive shift in is an absolute myth by the way.

He comes back loads mainly because he is happy and comfortable to receive the ball anywhere, he just isn't great at it because he isn't supposed to be as he is an elite attacking talent.
Well said, saw it for myself as well, he was putting tackles in . And winning the ball, people believe what they hear off pundits and what they read in the papers far too much.

This stuff about him not tracking back or putting a defensive shift in is an absolute myth by the way.

He comes back loads mainly because he is happy and comfortable to receive the ball anywhere, he just isn't great at it because he isn't supposed to be as he is an elite attacking talent.
No it’s not a myth if you use your eyes, why is he happy to come back and is comfortable to receive the ball anywhere if he isn’t great at it, he leaves holes which other players have to cover, leaving other holes to be be covered. Why not be honest and say he is a very good player on his day, which is true. You then have to say his good days are now and again.

We need Doucoure running through the middle though, if he is just there to clear up after James then it's a waste of a signing imo as it's not getting the best out of him.
That's for the whole team to sort out, not just Doucoure though isn't it. James was putting in tackles and tracking back against Fulham as well, but he will never do it as well as Doucoure will because that is Doucoure's game, James game is creating and scoring goals.

My honest opinion...

His legs & old injuries just do not allow him to display his great skills as he can not compete at a level to beat the high intestity & energy that players have in the premiership.

He has had the odd cameo role during his spell with us but has fallen short of expectations due to lack of fitness & annoying injuries, his legs have gone & he has recurring injury problems that will continue to haunt his fitness levels.

We have had some of our best results when he has been absent from the team where the players have worked hard together & produced a workmanlike performance built on playing for the team.

No it’s not a myth if you use your eyes, why is he happy to come back and is comfortable to receive the ball anywhere if he isn’t great at it, he leaves holes which other players have to cover, leaving other holes to be be covered. Why not be honest and say he is a very good player on his day, which is true. You then have to say his good days are now and again.
A creative player can only be good if the rest of the team are functioning as well, open your eyes too, we defended deep from the very kick off. Who is he supposed to pass to when the team was overran ? He has good days, where he is unplayable and ordinary days were he is still head and shoulders above any player we have. Or would you rather watch 11 robots covered in sweat, it is up to us to play him to his strengths, yes he did track back and throw a couple of tackles in, but you know what, I'd rather have him playing the other end, where he is world class. Jesus you would have probably despised Duncan McKenzie.

I think we are all being unrealistic here.

James hadn't played consistent football in 2 years. The pandemic led to also having a short offseason.

He is also adapting to a new league and for most games, due to squad and injuries, we don't have the proper support around him to maximize his qualities.

The fact that he has played so well should be an absolute win for us, not a disappointment.

My honest opinion...

His legs & old injuries just do not allow him to display his great skills as he can not compete at a level to beat the high intestity & energy that players have in the premiership.

He has had the odd cameo role during his spell with us but has fallen short of expectations due to lack of fitness & annoying injuries, his legs have gone & he has recurring injury problems that will continue to haunt his fitness levels.

We have had some of our best results when he has been absent from the team where the players have worked hard together & produced a workmanlike performance built on playing for the team.
So you have obviously checked out his stats, did he not do enough running for you or something. True what people say we at Everton don't deserve nice things.

James against Fulham had zero options, nobody running on, we have one of the best passers of the ball in world football and give him nobody to pass to. James only got the ball himself when he came far to deep. It was just a very poor performance from the whole team, for whatever reason, and yet people are singling out James.

If he was in his prime with no fitness issues or if he influenced the game for 90 minutes with his sublime skills, does anybody seriously believe he would be playing for us? By the way, the most gifted player I ever saw playing for the Blues was Alex Young, he was hardly a 90 minute player, was often out injured on the hard pitches at the start and end of the season due to blisters and was not renowned for helping out his defence. Did the fans moan about his shortcomings? No they just marveled at the things he could do with a football that normal players couldn’t .A lot of today’s fans would have hated him, we’ve spent too long watching headless chickens running around and have become brainwashed into thinking all players have to do that.

If you have a talent like James you have to develop a style to accommodate him and as the team is too one paced with Iceland and him on the pitch together, then don’t play Iceland unless James is rested.

Imagine we had forums when we had alan ball & Young etc.

In the games when they didn't play well, the stick they would be getting in here!!

Part of the game. Nobody is above reproach. Play well get praised, don’t play well receive criticism. It’s nothing new. This place would be pointless if everyone just blew bubbles up each other’s bum hole.

He needs to get involved more in games, needs to realise the game isn’t gonna come to him like it does at Real Madrid, when we put ourselves into a dog fight with big dossers like Fulham we have to be prepared to dig deep and get in the trenches, if he’s not about that it’s pointless us playing him. I made my point on him on the last page, he’s not solely to blame for his recent performances, definitely a team thing.

We should expect to see a lot more of him on the ball tonight given City shouldn’t/won’t squeeze us to death for 90 minutes. I’m hoping his team mates can actually move for once and make something available for him to work with.

My honest opinion...

I think he's been our best player in most games he's played in and sometimes nobody else even comes close. He was slow and injury prone before we signed him so I don't see why anyone would expect more from him in that sense, given his physical limitations I'd still say he puts in a decent shift

So you have obviously checked out his stats, did he not do enough running for you or something. True what people say we at Everton don't deserve nice things.

He is not performing, surely you can see that.

He is too slow & injury prone...

I would love him to be playing well & contributing to the team but he isn't...

We have to be honest & call it out...

In terms of technical ability, Rodriguez is by far our best player at the club.

The idea that we're better off without him is ludicrous. If Rodriguez went in the next transfer window, who would we replace him with that would match or surpass Rodriguez's quality?

He's a world-class player, albeit a player who has been hampered by fitness issues and injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.