2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he is an emergency purchase - one that offers decent options and cover when we otherwise have none? If he is a big hit in his few months here, why wouldn't he be extended if both parties were agreeable? I said on Sunday that players had to be arriving on Monday given the outgoings. Sure enough, Josh King came in. He might not be a glamorous signing, but he's a practical one that is clearly here to plug some obvious gaps (pace, depth). I was critical of Brands yesterday for seemingly leaving Carlo short of basic cover up front. While I wonder why it had to wait until the last minute, the reality is he got King in to address that, so I'm putting my pitchfork back in the shed and quenching my torch...for now.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm perfectly happy with the deal currently in place for King. What i'm saying is I hope they have a clear idea in mind of what they are intending to do in the summer, in terms of him staying on and in terms of who else may come in in attacking positions. If they choose to extend the deal because that was always their plan then fine, if they choose to offer him a 3 year deal on £70k a week because he has a purple patch then not fine. That would not be evidence of a plan, it would be a continuation of the type of deal that we keep moaning about and saying we're hamstrung by.

We had no midfield.

We signed a midfield.

That's a plan enough for me.
Yes, I agree. A short term plan. It's not a 'clear long term strategy' which is all I was saying. I don't know how to make it clearer, I'm not complaining about the individual pieces of business, I'm saying I don't think it necessarily showed a clear long term plan.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm perfectly happy with the deal currently in place for King. What i'm saying is I hope they have a clear idea in mind of what they are intending to do in the summer, in terms of him staying on and in terms of who else may come in in attacking positions. If they choose to extend the deal because that was always their plan then fine, if they choose to offer him a 3 year deal on £70k a week because he has a purple patch then not fine. That would not be evidence of a plan, it would be a continuation of the type of deal that we keep moaning about and saying we're hamstrung by.
That's fair enough. I'd be surprised if Carlo keeps a guy on on the basis of a purple patch. I'm sure he has a certain expectation of what King needs to bring. To be fair to Brands and Ancelotti, the outgoings this month - even if they are only loans - provide some evidence that the decks are being cleared. Carlo has clearly made his mind up about these players. They are either not good enough or not experienced enough for his needs. I'm confident he knows what he wants. If the club, for some reason, doesn't back him in the summer, I'm sure he'll be off.

Fair play Brands - that's a good deal. Probably looking at £2-3m and a 6 month contract - meaning if he's turgid we're not stuck with him earning loads of money for the next 3-4 years (Bolasie, Tosun, Niasse, Besic etc etc).

The 6 month deal is clever too, it should result in a hungry Josh King determined to make a name for himself and earn a longer contract. Should at least come with some desire which is a lot more than some current players have.

exactly yet people are expecting us to just hand Ancelotti 50m this Jan because we did it for Fat Sam, Times have changed we're in the pandemic era we have to tread carefully.
It's crazy but some people really did think we would go out and buy a few quality signings for a top 4 push, totally madness.
Priority was players out and wages saved.

I don't know if this is a bad or good thing

Are they all loans apart from Lossl?

And on Tosun and Bolasie... are their contracts over at the end of the season?

I think you would have to say it’s a good thing as we got a decent forward option in on a small fee low risk deal. Got useful loans for Gordon and Branthwaite, and literally everyone else is but more wages off the books and puts them in better positions to get themselves moves away from the club

I think you would have to say it’s a good thing as we got a decent forward option in on a small fee low risk deal. Got useful loans for Gordon and Branthwaite, and literally everyone else is but more wages off the books and puts them in better positions to get themselves moves away from the club

Even those on loan though who might be back in the summer, apart from Branthwaite Simms and Gordon, I’d be amazed if the rest weren’t either sold or just loaned out again. They’re not going to play for us. If Tosun hadn’t have been injured last season he wouldn’t have been here this season.

Bolasie's contract is up at the end of the season however Tosun's is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.