Match Thread Everton v Newcastle - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think this is a perfect opportunity for us to turn the corner back to playing a bit more open football. I'm not saying we necessarily have to be as aggressive as we were early in the season but we do need to come out of the shell a bit and Newcastle will be more than willing to let us do it.

For me that means Digne back in at LB, Richarlison coming across to the left and Iwobi in on the right. I can see a three man midfield with James drifting off the right working too but that means Coleman probably needs to be RB and I'd rather not on that.

At any rate it'll be massive going into some big games if Richarlison can score a goal, DCL can get one in the league again and as a team we can find that attacking confidence so we aren't so reliant on trying to keep teams out every time.

As solid as Godfrey and Holgate have been we need to take the game to these

----------------Olsen------------

Coleman---Mina---Keane---Digne

-------Doucoure----Davies--------

Iwobi--------James-----Richarlison

--------------DCL--------------

I like Godfrey for Coleman and Gomes for Doucoure.

Doucoure covers Gomes better than Davies does, and Gomes gives us more going forward.

Agree mate

I like Godfrey for Coleman and Gomes for Doucoure.

Doucoure covers Gomes better than Davies does, and Gomes gives us more going forward.
I agree on the first but not the second. Without Allan, Davies is the only midfielder that will definitely get on the ball and try to move it forward. Doucoure and Gomes for me risks it turning into a game where we get nothing unless the ball is played from defense straight into James. I know Davies technically isn't superb but for me the mental side of it he does better than Andre and we need that more as Newcastle probably will sit off a bit.

Given that we've already lost to Newcastle once this season - and conspired to lose two-goal leads TWICE to them in recent seasons - this game is a weathervane for what we can really expect to do this season. Anything less than a win shows that we've probably reached our ceiling (7th-10th) with the current squad. We can't legitimately harbour hopes of the Champions League if we take 0 or 1 point out of 6 from Newcastle. A win, though, keeps us ticking over nicely and we can, on the balance of results this season, allow ourselves to dream a bit more.

I maintain we need reinforcements to expect to finish significantly higher than 9th this season. Our first XI are good, but we've nothing in reserve. Trusting to good luck with injuries, suspension, and form isn't really maximising our support of the manager.

I agree on the first but not the second. Without Allan, Davies is the only midfielder that will definitely get on the ball and try to move it forward. Doucoure and Gomes for me risks it turning into a game where we get nothing unless the ball is played from defense straight into James. I know Davies technically isn't superb but for me the mental side of it he does better than Andre and we need that more as Newcastle probably will sit off a bit.
I'm not fully convinced about playing a 2 man midfield against these at all. I know we are at home and the best defense is attack but we have to be careful that any of our midfielders in a 2 (Don't count James) will be overun by sheer numbers. If Alan was fit we would play him, Doucoure and one other in midfield. So I could see tomorrow being Doucoure, Davies AND Gomes with James and Richy either side of DCL. Iwobi is only a right midfielder as a wing back/wide attacking midfield and we do not have that luxury. These may have been Kack recently but they really need the points and Bruce is afeared for the sack!

I think Davies can be trusted over Gomes more to hold shape better and make ball recoveries over . He also comes deep for the ball and can move it crisply between the lines when he's confident, which I feel he is at the moment

I've never seen a player with such little malice as Gomes make so many fouls, he's such a cumbersome tackler

I think Gomes or Sigurddson come in for TD if we are chasing the game which hopefulyl we aren't. Hopefully it'll jsut be Sig on to rest james at about 75 mins when all's wrapped up

I'm not fully convinced about playing a 2 man midfield against these at all. I know we are at home and the best defense is attack but we have to be careful that any of our midfielders in a 2 (Don't count James) will be overun by sheer numbers. If Alan was fit we would play him, Doucoure and one other in midfield. So I could see tomorrow being Doucoure, Davies AND Gomes with James and Richy either side of DCL. Iwobi is only a right midfielder as a wing back/wide attacking midfield and we do not have that luxury. These may have been Kack recently but they really need the points and Bruce is afeared for the sack!

Dunno, generally without Allan and Doucoure both in the midfield we'll be overrun by any midfield in this league. if we can play a progressive team we don't really need to worry about them at all except on the counter. I think that two with James ahead and runners and overlappers on the flnaks ensures we have too much for them (in theory)

Why are we always on at 12.30 btw, joke

Andre is significantly better on the ball than Davies, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.