Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree; although the Delph deal would have worked if the player wasn't devoid of self pride. Signing them types of players can work just like when we signed Barry, we haven't had much luck with that type of deal since but there is place for them.
I see what you're saying, but we've had more than a couple of veteran signings that didn't pan out. Williams, Delph, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Bolasie, Walcott not awful, but not good either, that's just oof the top of my head in the last couple years. Very few turn out to be Gareth Barry. When they are older they usually carry higher wages and are harder to shift out. I'm not saying we can't have a couple of "crafty veteran" signings, James and Allan are obvious evidence that it can work. I just tend to think young and rising tends to be lower risk overall for the club. And with our finances the way they appear to be, lower risk seems to be the way to go (at least I the near future).

I see what you're saying, but we've had more than a couple of veteran signings that didn't pan out. Williams, Delph, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Bolasie, Walcott not awful, but not good either, that's just oof the top of my head in the last couple years. Very few turn out to be Gareth Barry. When they are older they usually carry higher wages and are harder to shift out. I'm not saying we can't have a couple of "crafty veteran" signings, James and Allan are obvious evidence that it can work. I just tend to think young and rising tends to be lower risk overall for the club. And with our finances the way they appear to be, lower risk seems to be the way to go (at least I the near future).
If Tosun, Schneiderlin and Bolasie were classed as veterans then I might have to start looking at funeral planning...

Yes Barry is very much a one off with regards to us, but it doesn't mean there aren't players out there that can do a job at a later age. We just tend to choose the wrong ones!

I see West Ham have offered us Felipe Anderson.

1610735267049.jpeg

Brands has come out with his 'ideal' squad numbers again

GK × 3
DF × 8
MF × 6/7
FW × 6

My guess is they see:

GK: Pickford / Olsen / Virginia

DF: Digne / Nkounkou / Godfrey / Mina / Holgate / Keane / Coleman

MF: Allan / Doucoure / Davies / Sigurdsson

FW: Richarlison / Gordon / DCL / James / Iwobi

So we need 1×DF + 2×MF + 1×FW

4 players more...
Iwobi a forward? Personally I only see dcl and Richy as forwards but that’s how the modern games changed

Status
Not open for further replies.