2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you watched the game the other day and thought he didn’t play well then you need to take up another sport.

He did alright. Good pass to digne for first goal. Got in behind to win corner which led to second goal.
My point is we havent seen the best of him. Overall pass completion for the game was 78%.
Iwobi was 84% to compare.
He tried that switch out to digne too many times that got intercepted.

He did alright. Good pass to digne for first goal. Got in behind to win corner which led to second goal.
My point is we havent seen the best of him. Overall pass completion for the game was 78%.

Those passing stats are meaningless without context. James almost always tries to make the pass that sets us up in attack. He makes diagonal cross field passes and tries to thread the needle with through passes.

Of course some are gonna be intercepted or sometimes our players are not even ready.

Complaining about James passing and bringing up Iwobi of all people is mindboggling.

That's like saying Shaq is a better shooter than Curry because he had a better fg% ignoring the type of shots they took. 62% or whatever it is mining passes is better and more significant than 80% of those 5 yards backwards passes most of the team makes.

With how we set up with no striker it was the only out ball he had.

I think that stats don't tell the story of the threat - the idea that he is going to look forward, make a killer pass, or an 'adventurous pass' definitely carries a threat to the opposition, and either it works out, or doesn't or it keeps stretching the opposition or keeps them guessing. Stats don't tell this story. The Digne switch ball is definitely not enough for us to bank on, as a well organised team will block off both James and Digne and then where do we go? We definitely need 2 full backs, Richy, DCL and a midfielder for him to aim at, then that'll change things dramatically. I think that's what was working well in our first 6 games.

But I think he was better than alright, especially when he's again back from injury. A few more games and Allan, DCL, Richy, Digne and a RB he is working well with - that'll dramatically improve.

You can have a high percentage successful passes made knocking it between two centre Half's and a holding midfielder- welcome to Martinez's last two seasons.
Or you can attempt passes which can lead to goal scoring opportunities, the risk being they can be intercepted but the payoff is a chance on goal.
The two examples are not the same.
Stats have a place in football but so does watching games and making your own decisions.

I think that stats don't tell the story of the threat - the idea that he is going to look forward, make a killer pass, or an 'adventurous pass' definitely carries a threat to the opposition, and either it works out, or doesn't or it keeps stretching the opposition or keeps them guessing. Stats don't tell this story. The Digne switch ball is definitely not enough for us to bank on, as a well organised team will block off both James and Digne and then where do we go? We definitely need 2 full backs, Richy, DCL and a midfielder for him to aim at, then that'll change things dramatically. I think that's what was working well in our first 6 games.

But I think he was better than alright, especially when he's again back from injury. A few more games and Allan, DCL, Richy, Digne and a RB he is working well with - that'll dramatically improve.
Yes you make some goodpoints. Seems he does not have enough options, who is making the forward runs in behind the defense ? Id like to see doucore bursting into the box ALOT more like against rotherham

His pass completion for the season is higher than Fernandes and de Bruyne.

De bruyne has attempted 977 passes
To rodriguez 604 with completion of 75% to Rodriguez 78%
He has playes 300 more mins though but also has assisted 13 goals to Rodriguez 3 .
But you cant compare as put Rodriguez in that team his numbers would be higher.
I think the point is we need more forward runners into the box so he can provide the killer balls we know he can. Iwobi was only one really against wolves got a goal and won the corner that led to second goal and had a couple other instances.

De bruyne has attempted 977 passes
To rodriguez 604 with completion of 75% to Rodriguez 78%
He has playes 300 more mins though but also has assisted 13 goals to Rodriguez 3 .
But you cant compare as put Rodriguez in that team his numbers would be higher.
I think the point is we need more forward runners into the box so he can provide the killer balls we know he can. Iwobi was only one really against wolves got a goal and won the corner that led to second goal and had a couple other instances.
James started and was involved in both goals regardless of the stats or whatever you want to look. By the way, KDB would have 2 assist if he was playing for Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.