2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
....it’s testament to how Godfrey has been playing, but Digne is arguably the best LB in the league & he now has to play.

Since he signed, I‘ve kept on about Godfrey being the first choice CB. I certainly haven’t changed that view but Mina is at the top of his game and Keane can’t be dropped given his form this season. Godfrey will have to wait for injury/suspension to claim the place that will be permanent.

Until that happens, the only way I can see Godfrey in the side is at RB. His possession of the ball, interplay and attacking quality are ordinary, but his defensive capability, pace, aggression and power are much needed.

Can you name any player we've had that would beat him over 30 metres?

Drenthe maybe but other than that can't think of any. Absolutely lightning

Kanchelskis

....it’s testament to how Godfrey has been playing, but Digne is arguably the best LB in the league & he now has to play.

Since he signed, I‘ve kept on about Godfrey being the first choice CB. I certainly haven’t changed that view but Mina is at the top of his game and Keane can’t be dropped given his form this season. Godfrey will have to wait for injury/suspension to claim the place that will be permanent.

Until that happens, the only way I can see Godfrey in the side is at RB. His possession of the ball, interplay and attacking quality are ordinary, but his defensive capability, pace, aggression and power are much needed.

Not a bad idea having him at RB if Digne slots in at LB.

Digne at LM could be more effective for us though...his crosses are incredible and with Richarlison/DCL up top its a huge threat.

Id probably keep the defence as it is and let Digne have some fun at left midfield for the time being.

I think everyone can see the lads future is at CB. He has all the attributes to be outstanding. He's quicker than any defender I've seen. The only 1 for Everton I remember being close is Yobo. He's good on the ball, carries it well, seems to read the game quite well. One aspect he needs to improve is to be more aggressive. Oddly he is very aggressive at fullback but a bit less so at centre back (see the Leeds game, where he has to get closer to the ball striker). Thats all I would say about him, be a bit more aggressive.

To a degree I think that can be rectified. His career development is in midfield, where you stand off a bit more and also for Norwich in the PL, where he probably had to sit off more to help cover players around him. In a better team though, I think the penny will drop and he will start to impose himself on opponents as he does at fullback (where he clearly has the confidence of those inside of him to recover if on the odd occasion he is outdone).

That Neto is a very talented player (as Havertz, Werner, Pepe, Madisson, Mane, Robertson etc have all been before him, who he has really gotten the better of). There was a moment in the 2nd half a midfield player stuck the ball into the channel for Neto, who's not slow to have a run at Godfrey, and Godfrey just whizzed past him, without even going through all his gears. Neto just gave it up, and looked at the player as if to say "why are you putting me in a foot race with thus guy"?

I know we've spoken about it being when not if he moves inside, but I maintain that for now, for both him and the team what is happening is fine. He played inside on Saturday and in honesty I felt the game turned when Mina came on. Godfrey is a good centre back, but as above to be a world class one he will need a run and also to be that bit more aggressie as Mina was. Playing fullback though and his confidence must be growing every game. He's getting forward more now as well. There is a lot of Lescott in there, and how he played at fullback before moving infield, but we keopt Yobo/Jagielka at the heart of the defence for a time, which made sense.

Mina and Keane have made themselves undroppable currently. Mina is getting better each game, and is beginning to resemble Distin to me. Yes there's the odd mistake, and at times it's not the prettiest but he is very effective. He looks fitter and stronger than at any point now, and plays regularly without getting injured which is a big plus. Keane has become an excellent defender for us too.

Holgate needs to keep on his toes at right back. He's had some solid games, and not done a lot wrong, but I'd like to see him kick on a bit too. If not, thats probably the easiest solution. In honesty though, Digne down the left in midfield, a bit like Hinchcliffe used too, with DCL/Richarlinson to hit will be great for us. He put in 3 or 4 excellent balls last night where you just wanted a Calvert Lewin flying in on them.

Different type of pace, he's not like an Aaron Lennon who over 5,-10 metres had that type of pace that could get him in front of a defender and cross a ball, because he's a big lad he takes a few strides to get into gear but once he's there..... No stopping him, eats up the ground.

It would be nice to see him play a game in his natural position or as a box 2 box midfielder, reckon he'd boss that more than a makeshift winger

defensive midfield

...the main issue I have with @catcherintherye point about ‘Digne down the left in midfield’ hitting great crosses, is that he hits those great crosses from LB. Digne has to play LB, he’s as creative there as any LB in the league & it frees up left midfield for the likes of Richarlison.

It might be unpopular, but Holgate is a useful squad player and would not get a start when defenders are fit. I’d always pick Coleman ahead of him. Indeed, the main competition for Coleman at this point in time is surely Godfrey. If Godfrey has to be temporarily shoe-horned into this team, then (in my opinion) that has to be at RB.

He has some huge attributes that add to the team, that when he’s not there are missed.

How good is it to see competition though, all pushing each other to reach a very high standard, Ben, Keane, Holgate and Kean.

It’s great and shows what we’ve missed for far to long.

You can’t have a brain fart one week and expect to start the next week now.

...the main issue I have with @catcherintherye point about ‘Digne down the left in midfield’ hitting great crosses, is that he hits those great crosses from LB. Digne has to play LB, he’s as creative there as any LB in the league & it frees up left midfield for the likes of Richarlison.

It might be unpopular, but Holgate is a useful squad player and would not get a start when defenders are fit. I’d always pick Coleman ahead of him. Indeed, the main competition for Coleman at this point in time is surely Godfrey. If Godfrey has to be temporarily shoe-horned into this team, then (in my opinion) that has to be at RB.

From what I recall didn't he play RB in his first couple of games and do terribly?

Status
Not open for further replies.